Trump's America

zoogs

Ryan, who was recently gearing up for years’ worth of partisan investigations of President Hillary Clinton, says censuring Trump for coddling Nazis would be too partisan for his taste. ...What makes censuring Trump “partisan” is Ryan’s view that Trump doesn’t deserve it.

But Trump does deserve it. Not only does he deserve it on a basic and obvious moral level, but he deserves it because significant, symbolic rebukes to white supremacy are effective means of driving it back into the discredited silence where it belongs.

https://newrepublic.com/article/144472/remember-this-paul-ryan-pandering-neo-nazis

(Emphasis mine). There are many sides; only one of them is correct. This is the fight before us: whether America means the outright rejection of white supremacy or whether everything America ostensibly stands for is compatible only with the prevalence of the white supremacy narrative. The "neutral" ground is not neutral at all. It's the "Freedom! But hey,  this country was built by 'white' people and 'white' culture" ground.

• Plus1 1

Hillary wanted to tell Trump to back off 'you creep'.  I wish she would have. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/clinton-book-says-trumps-debate-stalking-made-her-121629776.html

Former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton says in her new book that Donald Trump made her skin crawl by stalking her around the stage in a campaign debate and she wonders if she should have told him to "back up, you creep."

In audio excerpts of the book "What Happened" aired on Wednesday on MSNBC, Clinton described her 2016 campaign as "joyful, humbling, infuriating and just plain baffling" and acknowledged she failed her millions of supporters by losing to Trump in the November election.

In the excerpts, Clinton described the Oct. 9 debate in St. Louis in which Trump followed her closely about the stage, lurking behind her as she fielded questions from a live television audience. The debate came two days after an audiotape emerged in which Trump was heard bragging about groping women.

"This is not OK, I thought," Clinton says. "It was the second presidential debate and Donald Trump was looming behind me.

"We were on a small stage and no matter where I walked, he followed me closely, staring at me, making faces. It was incredibly uncomfortable. He was literally breathing down my neck. My skin crawled," Clinton said.

"It was one of those moments where you wish you could hit pause and ask everyone watching: 'Well, what would you do?' Do you stay calm, keep smiling and carry on as if he weren't repeatedly invading your space? Or do you turn, look him in the eye and say loudly and clearly: 'Back up, you creep. Get away from me. I know you love to intimidate women but you can't intimidate me.'"

Clinton says she chose the first option.

• Plus1 1

This is the second excellent piece I've read from The Baffler in as many days. 'The road to fascism is paved with good intentions': https://thebaffler.com/war-of-nerves/a-letter-to-my-liberal-friends

...in the words of Naomi Shulman, “Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than ‘politics.’ They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away.”

... A lot of today’s Nazis don’t know they’re Nazis, because they still think Nazis are comic-book villains from history, and they’re not alone. ...

...The far right know they overreached this time. There will be denouncements, rollbacks, a few arrests, a recalibration of the public face of violent misogynist white nationalism. Others will try to persuade you not to worry, that this was an aberration, that it won’t happen again. You will want to believe them... You must not believe them

(emphasis mine) Gone are the days when the bad guys dressed up in ridiculous uniforms (pointy white hats? So early 20th century) and projected an image of outright evil. They've wisely figured out that patriotism is a far more effective aesthetic. Today's fascists wrap themselves up in the red, white, and blue, and call it 'freedom'. It can be hard to tell the difference. But not that hard.

23 minutes ago, zoogs said:

This is the second excellent piece I've read from The Baffler in as many days. 'The road to fascism is paved with good intentions': https://thebaffler.com/war-of-nerves/a-letter-to-my-liberal-friends

(emphasis mine) Gone are the days when the bad guys dressed up in ridiculous uniforms (pointy white hats? So early 20th century) and projected an image of outright evil. They've wisely figured out that patriotism is a far more effective aesthetic. Today's fascists wrap themselves up in the red, white, and blue, and call it 'freedom'. It can be hard to tell the difference. But not that hard.

Most things are paved with good intentions...it is the a$$hole$ that ruin it...that goes for any side and any organization.  From little league baseball to political groups.

5 minutes ago, zoogs said:

You could pour a little less effort into defending the fascists and sterilizing the nature of their particular flavor of "good intentions gone awry". It's falling on deaf ears here. At least, one can hope.

I am not defending anyone, those people are idiots, period.  Most of them should be executed for the stuff they do.  I just said that most organizations start off with good intentions.  I didn't say all, but most.  Then people come and ruin them.  I await your apology.

The above is a good example of what we're discussing. Drawing a line of equivalence to "most organizations", "little league baseball", is the definition of sanitizing. One could hazard a guess as to motive. In some cases, the sympathies are clear. In others, perhaps those who make these arguments themselves don't realize it. But what about liberals?

I'd say I await the day when you stop this "they should be executed" bit of nonsense, or your string of passive-aggressive missives in the status updates and in other threads around the board,  but I've no intention of holding my breath that long.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, zoogs said:

They've never dressed up in something that projects them as outright evil. That's some pseudo nostalgic crap, they've always come looking like "everyone else".  That's why they are effective. They have always projected themselves as the every-man. They've always come cloaked in patriotism and the country's colors. That's how you gather the disaffected to your ranks, by projecting commonality. These guys are losers. The fact that the president doesn't condemn them outright is troubling, but America knows wrong from right amd the majority are disgusted with them.