Trump's America

zoogs

On 8/25/2017 at 7:35 PM, NM11046 said:

Well folks, nothing says "I'm not a racist" than pardoning the guy who was illegally arresting people by racial profiling is a "good guy".  

Politicians like to 'dump' info on Friday afternoon if that info isn't favorable.  However, this is taking it to an all time low of trying to evade responsibility.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I remember when that happened and how amazing it was that the police had to run to a gun shop to get rifles that could properly respond to those gunmen. Crazy, crazy, crazy story.

Dude, I can't even imagine, I watch the video from time-to-time and that would be a horrible situation to be in. Events like that have shaped law enforcement into what it is today. During the Boston bombings officers were in pursuit of the terrorists vehicle and they were throwing out IEDs! They didn't prepare me for that in the academy. Just another example that what we expect from our law enforcement today has changed since the days of Mayberry. I'm all for connecting with the community, having citizen police academy's, Q&A sessions, handing out stickers and doing tours, but the other side of law enforcement needs to be prepared for whatever comes our way. It's tough to balance those two worlds, but it's necessary in today's world. That's sad for me to have to type that out. I fear for the world our children are growing up in. :(

Hey BRI/JJ - it came up in another thread, and I'd be curious as to your thoughts.  

One of the key positives for Trump during the campaign was the support of police/fire/FBI etc. - it was (my word) rabid.  Do you feel that they are still as aligned after watching his first 6+ months in office?  I know there are die hards in any camp, just interested in seeing if as a whole they are still behind him as adamantly.  As I watch the Generals in his administration come out this week, as well as all the arms of the military making statements after Charlottesville I wonder where the public servants stand.

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Hey BRI/JJ - it came up in another thread, and I'd be curious as to your thoughts.  

One of the key positives for Trump during the campaign was the support of police/fire/FBI etc. - it was (my word) rabid.  Do you feel that they are still as aligned after watching his first 6+ months in office?  I know there are die hards in any camp, just interested in seeing if as a whole they are still behind him as adamantly.  As I watch the Generals in his administration come out this week, as well as all the arms of the military making statements after Charlottesville I wonder where the public servants stand.

I would think the pardoning of Sheriff Arpaio would have really pissed off good honest (vast majority) police officers.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I would say that support is wavering some, he'll gain some support back though if he does away with the federal surplus ban to allow police agencies access to the military surplus. As I said above, that left a real sour taste in law enforcement's mouths when President Obama denied access to that program.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, NM11046 said:

Do you feel the same way about the Southern Poverty Center? Seems like they do good work but are perhaps less prolific than the ACLU.

While SPLC may do good work in general, they, unfortunately, broad brush some organizations that don’t agree with their left of center political positions.

Here are a few examples from the conservative site PJ Media:

Quoted from below:

"The SPLC, who made their money suing the KKK, were set up to defend people like me, but now they've become the monster that they claimed they wanted to defeat," Maajid Nawaz, a British politician and founder of the anti-Islamist organization the Quilliam foundation, (note anti-extremist organization based on its FAQs)

Initial paragraphs follow each link:

https://pjmedia.com/faith/2017/08/23/d-james-kennedy-ministries-sues-splc-guidestar-and-amazon-for-defamation/

On Tuesday, D. James Kennedy Ministries (DJKM) filed a lawsuit against the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), the charity navigation organization GuideStar, and Amazon for defamation, religious discrimination, and trafficking in falsehood. The SPLC listed DJKM as a "hate group," while GuideStar also categorized it in those terms, and Amazon kept the ministry off of its charity donation program, Amazon Smile.

"We embarked today on a journey to right a terrible wrong," Dr. Frank Wright, president and CEO at DJKM, said in a statement Tuesday. "Those who knowingly label Christian ministries as 'hate' groups, solely for subscribing to the historic Christian faith, are either woefully uninformed or willfully deceitful. In the case of the Southern Poverty Law Center, our lawsuit alleges the latter."

The SPLC has labeled DJKM an "anti-LGBT hate group" for its opposition to same-sex marriage and transgenderism. "These false and illegal characterizations have a chilling effect on the free exercise of religion and on religious free speech for all people of faith," Wright declared.

https://pjmedia.com/faith/2017/08/28/muslim-reformer-joins-christians-in-suing-far-left-terror-linked-organization-for-hate-defamation/

The Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) has long listed Christian organizations and activists for reform in the Muslim world along with racists like the Ku Klux Klan. The SPLC's "hate group" lists and "hate map" have unfairly targeted mainstream conservatives, and even some liberals. Now, some of the groups slandered by this organization have begun to fight back — and it's not just Christian groups like D. James Kennedy Ministries and Liberty Counsel.

"The SPLC, who made their money suing the KKK, were set up to defend people like me, but now they've become the monster that they claimed they wanted to defeat," Maajid Nawaz, a British politician and founder of the anti-Islamist organization the Quilliam foundation, declared in a video announcing his lawsuit against the SPLC for defamation.

"They have named me, alongside Ayaan Hirsi Ali, on a list of 'Anti-Muslim Extremists,'" Nawaz said. "I am suing the SPLC for defamation and I need your help to win."

More about Quilliam Foundation

What do you stand for?

Quilliam, as an organisation, aims to challenge extremist narratives while advocating pluralistic, democratic alternatives that are consistent with universal human rights standards. Quilliam stands for religious freedom, equality, human rights and democracy. We believe that representation should not be through self-styled ‘community representative’ organisations but as citizens through Parliament. We also believe that preventing radicalization and counter extremism are not merely the preserve of states, but need a whole of society approach. We hope to promote these values and concepts by challenging extremism, promoting pluralism and inspiring change.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/08/29/splc-admits-fault-removes-innocent-town-from-hate-map-that-inspired-terror-attack/

On Monday, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) removed the historic Iowa town Amana Colonies from its "hate map" that inspired a terrorist attack in 2012. The SPLC had targeted Amana Colonies as a refuge of "hate" because of an alleged link to the neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer. The Amana Colonies is a historic landmark, the site of seven German Pietist villages that produced a self-sustaining local economy for eighty years.

"We're thrilled for them changing the map and correcting it to what it should be, and not having the Amanas as a hate group," David Rettig, executive director of the Amana Colonies Convention and Visitors Bureau, told the Iowa City Press-Bulletin.

The SPLC "had previously designated the historic settlement as the home of the Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi and white supremacy news and commentary organization," the Press-Bulletin reported. On Monday, one of the Amanas leaders received word that the SPLC had changed Daily Stormer's designation to "statewide."