Trump's America

zoogs

1 hour ago, dudeguyy said:

I saw a story about a girl who was told by the principle of her school she "had" to stand during the pledge or face suspension. This was in Texas. She refused, was suspended, and is now suing the school. Good for her. From my very basic understanding of law, it's an almost assured win for her.

I can't believe this is the hill the GOP and their base chooses to die on. Anti-PC, free speech... unless it's something the snowflakes don't like. Unreal. Really shows how deeply Trump's nationalist impulses have seeped into the party itself.

I believe there was already a case that state students did not have to stand or recite the pledge for religious reason.

12 hours ago, zoogs said:

This is a hell of a conversation. Paraphrased summary: "Aren't you worried about nuclear war?" "Yeah. Trump, man. He's unhinged. We might impeach him." "You think that's imminent?" "No, we want to get this tax bill through and he's going to help with that."

^ Zero awareness about the last, throughout the entire conversation, despite Reich's evident and increasing incredulity.

The continued absurdity of the GOP aside; It's funny, I read the below quote from John Adams a few months ago and I thought it fit perfectly with Trump. Now it appears to becoming to fruition.

A public Speaker who inserts himself, or is urged by others into the Conduct of Affairs, by daily Exertions to justify his measures, and answer the Objections of Opponents, makes himself too familiar with the public, and unavoidably makes himself Ennemies. Few Persons can bare to be outdone in Reasoning or declamation or Wit, or Sarcasm or Repartee, or Satyr, and all these things are very apt to grow out of public debate. In this Way in a Course of Years, a Nation becomes full of a Mans Ennemies, or at least of such as have been galled in some Controversy, and take a secret pleasure in assisting to humble and mortify him. 

Edited by ZRod
16 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

http://m.msnewsnow.com/story/36585120/obannon-football-players-suspended-from-team-for-taking-a-knee-during-national-anthem

I live in Mississippi now and I plan on calling the school district first thing Monday and voicing my complaints. This has me very angry. It's one thing for an NFL organization to mandate their players to not kneel. I disagree with that but at least the teams cut the players checks, they can have all the rules they want. These kids are in high school. Their first amendment right should be protected in this space more than any other! Yet the administration of this school are discouraging student expression and use of something that should be celebrated. I really can't understand why conservatives of all people go against everything they say they stand for to shoot down this American right! Wait, I actually can think of one reason and that is they don't believe people of color deserve these rights! This is absolutely disgraceful and the more that people argue against free speech and free protest the more I see the very things that make this country great erode away. Again the Republican party is supposed to be strongly pro constitution. If anything these people should be defending these players with every ounce of their being? Yet these people go against their supposed political views to show their true colors. It is disgusting. 

Hey Fanatic - after you make that call here's another one to make to your state:

• Plus1 1

"Trump joked Pence 'wants to hang' all gay people, New Yorker reports"

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/355594-trump-joked-that-pence-wants-to-hang-all-gay-people-report

President Trump once joked that Vice President Mike Pence “wants to hang” all gay people, The New Yorker reported Monday. The publication also reports that Trump has mocked Pence for his views opposing abortion and LGBTQ rights. Trump jabbed at Pence after a legal scholar told the pair that if the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, many states would probably legalize abortion. “You see?” Trump reportedly said to Pence. “You’ve wasted all this time and energy on it, and it’s not going to end abortion anyway.” And when the meeting began to focus on gay rights, Trump reportedly pointed to Pence, joking, “Don’t ask that guy — he wants to hang them all!”

Nice. 

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

A voice of reason.  GWB  denounces bigotry and new nationalism/isolationism that has  become too strong since Trump became president.  Wtout naming Trump, Bush called us to return to higher ideals.    Trump has made so many wish for the respectability of Obama and of GWB.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-w-bush-says-america-162409057.html

I never thought I'd be nostalgic for Bush.  He did a nice job with this.  Late to the party though.  I wonder if there's any chance in hell the living presidents would work together to get this schmuck out of DC.

14 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I never thought I'd be nostalgic for Bush.  He did a nice job with this.  Late to the party though.  I wonder if there's any chance in hell the living presidents would work together to get this schmuck out of DC.

I never thought I'd be nostalgic for Obama!  See Trump is a uniter!!  Just proves that we shouldn't paint wt a broad brush. I know I did in the past.  You know, GWB, GHWB, Obama, and Clinton and got to throw in Jimmy Carter (seems like ancient history wt him) - none of these guys like Trump. You'd think they would have a strong united voice of reason to persuade Congress to take some kind of action against Trump.   Trouble is Congress running too afraid of Trump supporters in fear of losing their jobs vs doing the right thing.  I don't think bringing back George Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR and Reagan could convince these short sighted clowns in doing anything remotely unselfish as removing Trump from office. 

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 1

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I never thought I'd be nostalgic for Obama!  See Trump is a uniter!!  Just proves that we shouldn't paint wt a broad brush. I know I did in the past.  You know, GWB, GHWB, Obama, and Clinton and got to throw in Jimmy Carter (seems like ancient history wt him) - none of these guys like Trump. You'd think they would have a strong united voice of reason to persuade Congress to take some kind of action against Trump.   Trouble is Congress running too afraid of Trump supporters in fear of losing their jobs vs doing the right thing.  I don't think bringing back George Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR and Reagan could convince these short sighted clowns in doing anything remotely unselfish as removing Trump from office. 

I dislike Trump as much as the next guy; but I don't think he's really done anything that would warrant a forced removal from office.