Trump's America

zoogs

This is what I just don’t understand. Evangelicals that support Trump. I find quotes from these people fascinating. 

So, he supports Trump but feels we should call out and fight against Bannon. 

What he fails to reconcile in his head is the fact that Trump chose Bannon as his top advisor, still supports him and the candidates Bannon endorses, still reads and believes what is published by Brietbart and refuses to condemn the disgusting groups (nazi, KKK) that support and follow Bannon. 

The entire thought process is baffling. 

• Plus1 1

JC.  To me the scariest quote (among many scary quotes), 

We’re going to win another four years for a lot of reasons, most importantly because our country is starting to do well again and we’re being respected again. But another reason that I’m going to win another four years is because newspapers, television, all forms of media will tank if I’m not there because without me, their ratings are going down the tubes. Without me, The New York Times will indeed be not the failing New York Times, but the failed New York Times. So they basically have to let me win. And eventually, probably six months before the election, they’ll be loving me because they’re saying, “Please, please, don’t lose Donald Trump.”

Klein does a nice job - I wish more read him but many dismiss him because he's at Vox.

• Plus1 1

Joy Reid was critiquing this whole NYT interview (something I haven't really paid much attention to, nor do I plan to), & one of the things she said was the following, which I thought was spot on:

The whole tweet storm is worth a look, but I'm focusing mainly on this piece.

A lot of talk was made of Trump using the "big lie" propaganda technique during his campaign. Basically, if you repeat a lie often enough, no matter how egregious, people will start to believe it. This was actually attributed to Hitler's Minister of Propaganda, Joseph Goebbels, by the House Committee on Un-American Activities by a report in  1946, though no firm link has ever been found. 

Regardless, Trump definitely uses this technique quite often - especially when he's gaslighting us. As long as his flank (the GOP) holds and there are very few or no GOP members willing to call him on his obvious dishonesty, he can portray truth-telling by the media, the opposition party or anyone else as illegitimate. In this way, he isn't forced to deal with objective reality but merely subverts it by repeating the world in which he WANTS to exist ad nauseam until enough people simply allow him to live there.

We cannot allow the president to dictate the parameters of reality.

Don't believe me? One of the comments Trump made on TV the day they signed their tax bill (and has probably played up since) was that they "essentially repealed Obamacare" (they removed the individual mandate but not the ACA outright). Now we have this: