Trump's America

zoogs

Trump's Id may be referring to having to show your drivers lic if you write a check for groceries:dunno  I have no idea what he might be thinking - that is the only thing I could think of that would be related to ID for groceries.

Regarding the issue of voter ID - I don't understand the resistance to the idea that a voter should show either ID or a voter's registration card to make sure the voter is 1. Legal citizen eligible for voting &  2. voting in the right precinct.    Of course Trump is using the idea as a red meat issue to stir up fear, etc.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Trump's Id may be referring to having to show your drivers lic if you write a check for groceries:dunno  I have no idea what he might be thinking - that is the only thing I could think of that would be related to ID for groceries.

Regarding the issue of voter ID - I don't understand the resistance to the idea that a voter should show either ID or a voter's registration card to make sure the voter is 1. Legal citizen eligible for voting &  2. voting in the right precinct.    Of course Trump is using the idea as a red meat issue to stir up fear, etc.

How is it in Oklahoma?  To register to vote in Nebraska you need to supply either a valid photo ID or proof of residence through a utility bill or something similar.  Then, when you vote, you state your name and address.  They find your registration in the roll and assign you a number and you provide the signature.

If you are not on the roll, they can assign you a provisional ballot that will face scrutiny.  

I just don't see how a "picture" would make things better, at least in Nebraska.  If a person wanted to steal my vote, they would need to know my address and polling place and cross their fingers that I wasn't already there to sign the book.  Seems like a big risk for ONE vote.  At least in Nebraska.

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Regarding the issue of voter ID - I don't understand the resistance to the idea that a voter should show either ID or a voter's registration card to make sure the voter is 1. Legal citizen eligible for voting &  2. voting in the right precinct. 

It's because of the possibility of abuse of that system, which has already happened in a bunch of places that enacted these laws. The most basic problem is that they then make it harder to get whichever ID is needed to vote by closing places that issue these ID's in places that tend to vote against the governing party, increasing fees to get these ID's, and sometimes changing which ID's can be used (again usually eliminating ID's that many of their political opponents' voters tend to have).

Plus, you already have to prove your citizenship when you register to vote. And if you vote illegally, that's a crime that can be enforced and punished.

56 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

They could use a voter ID law to decrease votes from the poor, who are less likely to be able to afford an ID. If an ID is required to vote, it should be free. The Republicans know that requiring an ID would reduce turnout of non Republicans. They pretend they’re in support of it for seemingly good reasons but it’s all about voter turnout.

Er, what RedDenver said. It’s something that can be easily abused.

If they pass a law making a voter ID free and easy to obtain, it’s fine. Even getting an ID can be harder for a much larger % of non Republicans, since they’re more likely to live in cities.

55 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They could use a voter ID law to decrease votes from the poor, who are less likely to be able to afford an ID. If an ID is required to vote, it should be free. The Republicans know that requiring an ID would reduce turnout of non Republicans. They pretend they’re in support of it for seemingly good reasons but it’s all about voter turnout.

If they pass a law making a voter ID free and easy to obtain, it’s fine. Even getting an ID can be harder for a much larger % of non Republicans, since they’re more likely to live in cities.

I'm in favor of Voter ID if it doesn't have discriminatory intent/implementation. 

Easiest answer: automatic voter registration and free photo ID. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe I'm ignorant of such laws but my assumption would be that the ID should be free.  I would not support a voter ID law that had a fee attached to it. that would have a suppression affect on all voting classes in my opinion.   In OK we show our voter registration card or driver's license and they look at the voter roll to match up.  Voter IDs should be free and mailed to the voter or able to be obtained easily at the country election board office.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Maybe I'm ignorant of such laws but my assumption would be that the ID should be free.  I would not support a voter ID law that had a fee attached to it. that would have a suppression affect on all voting classes in my opinion.   In OK we show our voter registration card or driver's license and they look at the voter roll to match up.  Voter IDs should be free and mailed to the voter or able to be obtained easily at the country election board office.

Do you pay for your driver's license?  What is a voter registration card?  Is it an actual id or just a card to tell you where to vote?

Nebraska charges for licenses, therefore shouldn't be required to vote.  Not only is cost a constitutional hurdle, but the fact that heavily democratic areas of the country are in urban areas.  In these areas, public transportation is popular and people don't think about licenses.  I'm not sure of the number, but I thought I read or heard somewhere that only around 1 in 5 of NYC residents over the age of sixteen are legal drivers. 

The other questions, I'm curious.

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Do you pay for your driver's license?  What is a voter registration card?  Is it an actual id or just a card to tell you where to vote?

Nebraska charges for licenses, therefore shouldn't be required to vote.  Not only is cost a constitutional hurdle, but the fact that heavily democratic areas of the country are in urban areas.  In these areas, public transportation is popular and people don't think about licenses.  I'm not sure of the number, but I thought I read or heard somewhere that only around 1 in 5 of NYC residents over the age of sixteen are legal drivers. 

The other questions, I'm curious.

Yes, we pay for the DL.  The voter reg card is just a card, no picture, showing us what precinct we are to vote in.   Showing a DL is not be a requirement -  seems like we would show a DL or any other govt issued ID if we cannot locate our reg card -  which they would then match against the roll.   I've always had my card. 

Voter Identification Card

You do not become a registered voter until the county election board in the county where you reside has approved your application. When your application is approved, the county election board will mail a voter identification card to you. Your voter identification card lists your name, address, political affiliation and the polling place for your voting precinct. When you receive your voter identification card, look at it carefully and report any errors to the county election board immediately. Keep your voter identification card in a safe place and always take it with you when you go to vote.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, we pay for the DL.  The voter reg card is just a card, no picture, showing us what precinct we are to vote in.   Showing a DL is not be a requirement -  seems like we would show a DL or any other govt issued ID if we cannot locate our reg card -  which they would then match against the roll.   I've always had my card. 

Voter Identification Card

You do not become a registered voter until the county election board in the county where you reside has approved your application. When your application is approved, the county election board will mail a voter identification card to you. Your voter identification card lists your name, address, political affiliation and the polling place for your voting precinct. When you receive your voter identification card, look at it carefully and report any errors to the county election board immediately. Keep your voter identification card in a safe place and always take it with you when you go to vote.

Ok, so very similar if not Identical to Nebraska.  So what we are clamoring for is something that already exists.  I get a card in the mail to tell me when and where to vote.  That location has my info.  I say who I am, they check me off.  Good to go.

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Ok, so very similar if not Identical to Nebraska.  So what we are clamoring for is something that already exists.  I get a card in the mail to tell me when and where to vote.  That location has my info.  I say who I am, they check me off.  Good to go.

Yep - same here.