Trump's America

zoogs

1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Him reaching out to the guy with a MAGA hat is a little too on the nose, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure I saw that come through my feed with a caption ridiculing Trump.  Something along the lines of "Trump: Hey buddy, have a good time and here's a hat!"

But I'm sure there are also a lot of people that think that really happened, too.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

I'm just shocked the word "MAGA" didn't appear anywhere in the alert.

When I heard this was going to happen, I was very concerned about what exactly was going to come across my phone.

Honestly though....now that the President has this ability, I'm going to go ballistic if he all of a sudden starts using this for things he has been tweeting about.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

When I heard this was going to happen, I was very concerned about what exactly was going to come across my phone.

Honestly though....now that the President has this ability, I'm going to go ballistic if he all of a sudden starts using this for things he has been tweeting about.

I don't understand why we have this for the President. Shouldn't it just be a new feature of the existing emergency broadcast system?

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If that ever happens it’s a signal that we’re not going to be a Democracy much longer. I can see him using it if he’s impeached or loses the election. 

He is already unfiltered by the media on Twitter, but he doesn’t have access to everyone with it. Imagine how things might have been different with Nixon if he could talk to people with no media filter like Trump does. Then think of how much worse it would be if it was sent directly to our phones unsolicited.

Or maybe the reverse. If Trump had to go through the media to get his message across, which is how it was for all presidents before him (Obama could have done the same as Trump but went through the media instead), he might be gone already.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If that ever happens it’s a signal that we’re not going to be a Democracy much longer. I can see him using it if he’s impeached or loses the election. 

He is already unfiltered by the media on Twitter, but he doesn’t have access to everyone with it. Imagine how things might have been different with Nixon if he could talk to people with no media filter like Trump does. Then think of how much worse it would be if it was sent directly to our phones unsolicited.

Or maybe the reverse. If Trump had to go through the media to get his message across, which is how it was for all presidents before him (Obama could have done the same as Trump but went through the media instead), he might be gone already.

I don't have nearly the faith in the media that you do, and actually prefer that Trump can communicate more directly with the citizens. But having a signal that only he can push his message out is not a good idea.

Just now, RedDenver said:

I don't have nearly the faith in the media that you do, and actually prefer that Trump can communicate more directly with the citizens. But having a signal that only he can push his message out is not a good idea.

I don’t have a lot of faith in the media, but they create our reality, and I have way more faith in them creating our reality than in Trump creating it.

We don’t know what’s going on without them. And without them we’d rely on a bunch of individuals and rumors.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t have a lot of faith in the media, but they create our reality, and I have way more faith in them creating our reality than in Trump creating it.

We don’t know what’s going on without them. And without them we’d rely on a bunch of individuals and rumors.

I totally disagree that media creates our reality. I'm not saying that media isn't necessary, but rather that the President being able to communicate directly with the citizens is ok and we don't need a media filter. For example, FDR's fireside chats would have been a lot less meaningful and useful if they all had to go through the media first.

12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I totally disagree that media creates our reality. I'm not saying that media isn't necessary, but rather that the President being able to communicate directly with the citizens is ok and we don't need a media filter. For example, FDR's fireside chats would have been a lot less meaningful and useful if they all had to go through the media first.

FDR's chats did go through the media. Who aired them?

How does the media not create our reality? How do you know what happened in Washington D.C. this week?

Think about Nixon not having to care what the reporters were saying, or being able to completely go around them and their cameras. Or just look at Putin for a real example.

Just now, Moiraine said:

FDR's chats did go through the media. Who aired them?

If simply relaying the President's words is "going through the media", then Twitter is now also "media" in the same sense.

Just now, Moiraine said:

How does the media not create our reality? How do you know what happened in Washington D.C. this week?

What I know or what I've been told about what happened in Washington is not the same as the reality of what actually happened in Washington. The media could report my name incorrectly, but that doesn't actually mean my name has changed.