Trump's America

zoogs

A friend of mine from small town Ohio (small business owner) just sent me this:

Sanctuary cities being cut off, making Mattis SecDef, and TPP dropout are all Trump had to do to satisfy the vast majority of us in the middle and we don't need to engage in some giant public jerk off to celebrate that. Anything else that goes on from here on out is extra gravy, as far as I am concerned.

Some random dude from Ohio isn't a barometer for the country.

• Fire 4

Sanctuary cities being cut off, making Mattis SecDef, and TPP dropout are all Trump had to do to satisfy the vast majority of us in the middle and we don't need to engage in some giant public jerk off to celebrate that. Anything else that goes on from here on out is extra gravy, as far as I am concerned.

CARL!

• Fire 1

CARL!

Point: conceded.

The Brits are debating whether Trump should be allowed a state visit. A petition to ban him entry has gained 1.7 million signatures already.

Umm...wasn't one of the rallying cries from Republicans that we needed to elect Trump and get rid of Obama and Hillary so we can improve our reputation in the world?

• Fire 3

The Brits are debating whether Trump should be allowed a state visit. A petition to ban him entry has gained 1.7 million signatures already.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/826446284483616768

Umm...wasn't one of the rallying cries from Republicans that we needed to elect Trump and get rid of Obama and Hillary so we can improve our reputation in the world?

I'm curious BRB. If I asked you this 3 to 6 years ago I think your answer may have been different. Do you think Obama improved our standing in the world, or weakened it?

Sanctuary cities being cut off, making Mattis SecDef, and TPP dropout are all Trump had to do to satisfy the vast majority of us in the middle and we don't need to engage in some giant public jerk off to celebrate that.

When he says middle, does he mean middle class? Or "middle of the road" politically?

If he's suggesting most middle-class Republicans are satisfied with those three moves then I would heavily disagree. Many of the Republican family members and friends I have can't tell me a damn substantive thing about the TPP.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/826446284483616768

I'm curious BRB. If I asked you this 3 to 6 years ago I think your answer may have been different. Do you think Obama improved our standing in the world, or weakened it?

That's a very difficult question to answer and it depends on what region or country you are talking about.

It isn't as simple as Republicans crying about apology tours and bowing to people...etc. that people like Bannon have tried to push.

When Obama took office, our standing in the world was in the tank while we were fighting really really bad wars. Honestly, I can't imagine it getting any lower than when Bush was leaving office.

Sanctuary cities being cut off, making Mattis SecDef, and TPP dropout are all Trump had to do to satisfy the vast majority of us in the middle and we don't need to engage in some giant public jerk off to celebrate that.

When he says middle, does he mean middle class? Or "middle of the road" politically?

If he's suggesting most middle-class Republicans are satisfied with those three moves then I would heavily disagree. Many of the Republican family members and friends I have can't tell me a damn substantive thing about the TPP.

I tend to agree with you.

I know I offer a more liberal perspective, but only one of those three things seems like an unequivocal winner to me. Hopefully Mattis can reign in Trump's impulsiveness and whatever influence Bannon tries to exert. That was a great pick.

As you've said, TPP is a heavily politicized at the moment but trade is a super complex issue. The populist furor is certainly strongly against it at the moment, but wouldn't most centrist Republicans still support free-trade and exerting influence over the Pacific Rim economies?

I wasn't aware sanctuary cities were a big deal for any subset of conservatives, actually.

Tood, were you referring to people who weren't necessarily sold on Trump by the term "middle"?

I have been very confused by Repub politician's position on TPP. They are typically in favor of say, a Canadian pipeline through the midwest. They are against a trade agreement that gives US more access/influence to Pacific Rim markets and help keep China in check. The TPP as it sat needed a LOT of changes but from economic perspective, scrapping it really went against traditional Republican dogma...

• Fire 1

David Brooks: The Republican Fausts

In the first place, the Trump administration is not a Republican administration; it is an ethnic nationalist administration. Trump insulted both parties equally in his Inaugural Address. The Bannonites are utterly crushing the Republican regulars when it comes to actual policy making.

David Brooks, a conservative columnist with a number of positions and arguments I find very difficult to respect, makes what nonetheless looks to me like a mostly reasonable conservative case against this unfortunate turn in his party.

I have been very confused by Repub politician's position on TPP. They are typically in favor of say, a Canadian pipeline through the midwest. They are against a trade agreement that gives US more access/influence to Pacific Rim markets and help keep China in check. The TPP as it sat needed a LOT of changes but from economic perspective, scrapping it really went against traditional Republican dogma...

I'm with you there. This is the free market capitalist in me. You think we'd be able to count on the Republican Party to provide the necessary bulwark against protectionist tendencies. WTF, guys?