Repealing the ACA under Trump

Elon Musk was actually born in Africa :o :o :o :o :o

I think people mention Kanye because he actually has ambitions. I think Zuck does, too. But I feel all these people are a little too disconnected from the actual everyman, nonpolitician appeal they will attempt to channel. I'd support Gates, but he seems like the kind of guy who would never get into politics.

I believe the CBO scores proposals based on ten year estimates, correct? I don't know a whole lot about their work but I think that's correct.

That analysis assumed repeal without replacement, though. That isn't likely to happen.

I did come across this piece this morning as well, though:

The comments come after Trump told The Washington Post this weekend that he is nearly done crafting a plan that has "insurance for everybody" as its goal, although his transition team quickly walked back those remarks Monday.
Lawmakers want to focus on lowering costs, not expanding coverage, which is one of the Democrats' main talking points. They are very wary of discussing how many people would be insured under their plan, aware that many Americans are concerned they'll lose their coverage under a would-be GOP overhaul. Instead, they are emphasizing more people will have access to more affordable policies.

It appears his comments are not in step with GOP at all. This may have been more thoughtless posturing from Trump.

• Fire 1

Trump's rhetoric on this issue is turning him into a potential ally for progressives. This is neither an excuse nor an endorsement of him. The methods he's actually likely to pursue to those ends are very dangerous, and I hope that real progressives will be able to see clearly the choice between ideal healthcare and democracy. The former can always be fought for and regained in the normal course of politics. The latter should never be lost.

To me, health care is such an important and critical issue that I don't care who implements/improves it.

If the GOP had proposed something more efficient and better than the ACA then that's phenomenal. But they didn't, and haven't. They're about to strip life saving health care from people. Explain that one to me all you "100% Pro Lifers"

• Fire 2

^^ Yup. To add, what I meant by the democracy thing is Trump's strategy appears to be using the bully pulpit to cow private industry into submission. I don't think that will succeed here in the U.S., but in general this kind of a world can be realized, and that's called fascism.

I believe the CBO scores proposals based on ten year estimates, correct? I don't know a whole lot about their work but I think that's correct.

That analysis assumed repeal without replacement, though. That isn't likely to happen.

The comments come after Trump told The Washington Post this weekend that he is nearly done crafting a plan that has "insurance for everybody" as its goal, although his transition team quickly walked back those remarks Monday.
Lawmakers want to focus on lowering costs, not expanding coverage, which is one of the Democrats' main talking points. They are very wary of discussing how many people would be insured under their plan, aware that many Americans are concerned they'll lose their coverage under a would-be GOP overhaul. Instead, they are emphasizing more people will have access to more affordable policies.

It appears his comments are not in step with GOP at all. This may have been more thoughtless posturing from Trump.

This is going to sound like I'm defending Trump which makes me want to throw up.

But, dismantling and replacing in pieces is an absolute DUMB idea. You have to go about this with an end frame work that you want to get to. Doing it in pieces is going to result in a huge legislation where the pieces don't work together.

Now, if they want to propose and pass a replacement that is best implemented in pieces....then great. But, to pass different parts over the next 4 years is a recipe for failure.

• Fire 2

How can they possibly be "in the dark" about a replacement plan when they've had it ready to roll out for the last six years?

All we've heard is the Republicans are going to "Repeal and Replace" Obamacare.

Don't tell me that was a lie this whole time. If so I'll be shocked. SHOCKED, I SAY!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Fire 6

No wonder the House GOP voted to exempt ACA repeal bills from required analysis by the CBO.

I do not like at all how they (Trump) are going about replacing the ACA. I'm not sure any of them have an alternate plan because I sure haven't heard any details other than the horsesh#t of being allowed to purchase across state lines. To be honest it is making me fairly nervous that they repeal and then don't do crap, like they haven't in forever already.

But I will say, if premiums are only going to double by 2026, sign me up for that much lower cost trajectory. That is nine years away. I don't know about you guys but my premiums have much more than doubled in the last 9 years. This year alone I saw a 28% increase, last year was about 18%, and the year they implemented the ACA it was about 10% plus the across the board 25% increase.

The problem with the ACA has always been that they didn't fix or even begin to address the cost problem. It does need to be severely tweaked or replaced but all these asshats care about is repeal. If they know how to fix it, I sure would like for them to share how. Considering that hasn't happened at all, I will assume they're about to make a much bigger mess of it.