Repealing the ACA under Trump

I can't wait for conservatives to go ballistic about this bill being "rammed down our throats" like they did with Obamacare.

Obama unveiled his plan in 7/2009. It became law eight months later, in 3/2010.

The Republicans unveil their plan, after seven years of work, and plan to have it passed within several weeks - perhaps before the Congressional Budget Office can complete its analysis.

You're assuming they worked on it for seven years?! They pulled outta the butt after doing shots at the local bar last night. This is hardly a "conservative" bill imo.

Pardone my French, but why the f#*k are we defunding Planned Parenthood?

Because killing babies is abhorrent

But killing mothers and babies is cool?

No, no, no, no. If you defund Planned Parenthood, people will stop having sex and getting abortions. Abstinence will be the norm, teens will stop exploring their sexuality, everyone will wait until they're married, and we'll all have missionary sex under the covers with the lights off for the sole purpose of procreation.

• Fire 5

I can't wait for conservatives to go ballistic about this bill being "rammed down our throats" like they did with Obamacare.

The Republicans unveil their plan, after seven years of work, and plan to have it passed within several weeks - perhaps before the Congressional Budget Office can complete its analysis.

You're assuming they worked on it for seven years?! They pulled outta the butt after doing shots at the local bar last night. This is hardly a "conservative" bill imo.

Republicans have two choices:

They can say they've been working on this for seven years and this is the best they could come up with.

- OR -

They can admit they've been voting to repeal Obamacare for seven years without an alternative plan, so that if they had been successful at any point in that span they'd have forced millions of people to forego healthcare simply because they're unwilling or unable to do their damned job.

Those are basically their choices at this point.

• Fire 1

No, no, no, no. If you defund Planned Parenthood, people will stop having sex and getting abortions. Abstinence will be the norm, teens will stop exploring their sexuality, everyone will wait until they're married, and we'll all have missionary sex under the covers with the lights off for the sole purpose of procreation.

I sense...sarcasm

• Fire 2

Republicans have two choices:

They can say they've been working on this for seven years and this is the best they could come up with.

- OR -

They can admit they've been voting to repeal Obamacare for seven years without an alternative plan, so that if they had been successful at any point in that span they'd have forced millions of people to forego healthcare simply because they're unwilling or unable to do their damned job.

Those are basically their choices at this point.

The majority of the GOP has been running on "repeal obamacare " for the last 2 or 3 election cycles. Now with the perfect opportunity to do it...they don't. Giving more fuel to the fire about my views on how both parties could give a damn about "we the people"

Show me the actual epidemic of pregnancies killing the mother, and I might reconsider my views.

from zoogs p[ost earlier in this thread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/02/21/us-life-expectancy-will-soon-be-on-par-with-mexicos-and-croatias/?utm_term=.6daba90c50cb

Not so in the United States. “Notable among poor-performing countries is the USA,” the researchers wrote, “whose life expectancy at birth is already lower than most other high-income countries, and is projected to fall further behind, such that its 2030 life expectancy at birth might be similar to the Czech Republic for men, and Croatia and Mexico for women.”

The reasons for the United States' lag are well known. It has the highest infant and maternal mortality rates of any of the countries in the study, and the highest obesity rate. It is the only one without universal health insurance coverage and has the “largest share of unmet health-care needs due to financial costs,” the researchers wrote.

• Fire 7

Show me the actual epidemic of pregnancies killing the mother, and I might reconsider my views.
Show me where federal dollars fund abortions.

The US has the highest maternal mortality rate of any developed nation, and you want to eliminate possibly the only source of prenatal care and infornation poor mothers may have?

With Trump just coming out and admitting how complicated healthcare is, why would they think this is a good idea? If their plan isn't the bigger one, this is going to backfire on them.

Here i something very important about this argument and image the administration is trying to put out.

That's one big fat lie/misinformation.

The administration can't completely repeal the ACA because they don't have 60 votes in the Senate. So, they can only legally affect certain parts of the bill. What is in the little pile on the table is simply the legislation that changes the big bill. It doesn't REPLACE the big bill. So....much of what is in the big bill is still going to be there. So....in essence, you would need to combine the two piles on the table.

a fwiw......that pile is only phase 1. phase 2 and phase 3 are still to be written.

from zoogs p[ost earlier in this thread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/02/21/us-life-expectancy-will-soon-be-on-par-with-mexicos-and-croatias/?utm_term=.6daba90c50cb

Not so in the United States. “Notable among poor-performing countries is the USA,” the researchers wrote, “whose life expectancy at birth is already lower than most other high-income countries, and is projected to fall further behind, such that its 2030 life expectancy at birth might be similar to the Czech Republic for men, and Croatia and Mexico for women.”

The reasons for the United States' lag are well known. It has the highest infant and maternal mortality rates of any of the countries in the study, and the highest obesity rate. It is the only one without universal health insurance coverage and has the “largest share of unmet health-care needs due to financial costs,” the researchers wrote.

So you're not going to answer my question? That article had nothing on pregnancies killing the mother, only the life expectancy of men and women.

The problem with this argument goes much further back than some red herring about an "epidemic of pregnancies killing the mother." It starts where people claim abortion is murder.

You have to be able to define what life is, when it begins, and when it has rights. When you can't define life any better than the other side is where the argument breaks down.

He probably should have highlighted "maternal mortality rate" or something.

Anyway, whenever this discussion comes up, I go back to one of the articles I read last year that shook me the most: http://www.vox.com/identities/2016/9/30/13111900/hyde-amendment-40-years-taxpayer-abortion-funding

Low-income women aren’t the only ones who suffer from Hyde, Horvath-Cosper said. She provides abortions in a hospital, and several times a week she sees patients who have “devastating” prenatal diagnoses, where the pregnancy is wanted but the fetus will likely not survive — and where insurance won’t cover a termination because of the Hyde Amendment. These tend to be later procedures, which can cost $10,000 to $15,000. Abortion funding organizations usually can’t cover expenses that high.

Some of these patients are attorneys or analysts who have good-paying government jobs — but because they are federal employees, Hyde affects them. “These are people who have fantastic insurance, or so they thought,” Horvath-Cosper said. “And they come in and say, ‘Well, what do you mean, my insurance won't cover this? My baby will die, are they saying I just have to continue the pregnancy and wait for that to happen?’ And I have to say, yeah, that's exactly what that means. It feels heartless. It feels uncaring." (...)

“How do you decide when someone is close enough to death to say that they deserve to have a pregnancy termination?” Horvath-Cosper said. “From a clinician’s point of view, there’s no ‘death checklist,’ where we say, well, if you have this and this but not this, then you're not close enough. ... To have to purposely allow someone’s health to get so bad they might die in order to have it paid for by insurance — it runs counter to everything you want to do when you go into medicine. You want to catch things before things get really bad and someone is at death’s door.”

We're almost socially conditioned to think of this as entirely under our own control. It's not. I can (probably) choose when to start a family, but I cannot choose whether or not that 'devastating' prenatal diagnosis will happen. So more than just choice, this is about medical care services and the access to them.

Some of us have been taught to celebrate when law and policy moves in this direction. I empathize with where you're coming from, but I beg you to reconsider your delight.

• Fire 1