Repealing the ACA under Trump

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a novel concept - Dems and Repubs working together to solve the ACA problems.  Of course it has to be governors as the Congress is totally broken

http://governor.ohio.gov/Portals/0/pdf/Bipartisan Governors Blueprint.pdf?ver=2017-08-31-094757-317

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/group-democratic-republican-governors-just-152904466.html

Here's a full list of signatories:

• John Kasich, R-Ohio
  • John Hickenlooper, D-Colorado
  • Brian Sandoval, R-Nevada
  • Tom Wolf, D-Pennsylvania
  • Bill Walker, I-Alaska
  • Terry McAuliffe, D-Virginia
  • John Bel Edwards, D-Louisiana
  • Steve Bullock, D-Montana

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/mark-meadows-bullish-lindsey-graham-health-bill/2017/09/08/id/812423/

I guess Sen Graham has a plan to use block grants to allow individual states to build their own 'aca' program.  I'll be interested in finding out more details.

Idea being that each state is closer to its own citizens and instead of a one plan fits all approach, it is more cookie cooker based on each local state

population size, mix of issues, etc.

In principle I like that thought process but I'm not sure it transfers to health care very well.  Doesn't strike me as much of a state or regional specific issue. And insurance companies already allow for the variance in costs by location so, based on what these yahoos have been trying to do, I wouldn't trust them to pour piss out of a boot.

Block grants to the states has been a Republican idea for a while. The problem is that it doesn't account for total healthcare costs, but instead attempts to guess what they will be in advance. But if a state comes up short then people just suffer. And it allows for more shenanigans at the federal level like ignoring the evidence/economics of how much it will cost and providing too little. The analyses I've seen shows that the fed paying as needed is much more cost effective if you're actually going to cover healthcare costs.

I've been saying this for a long time.

i was in a conversation with our local hospital administrator.  He was mad about healthcare legislation. 

I said....look, your industry is in the position to fix this how you want it. If not, it will be fixed and you're not going to like what the result is. 

He didnt like my comment. 

• Plus1 3

On 9/8/2017 at 4:31 PM, TGHusker said:

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/mark-meadows-bullish-lindsey-graham-health-bill/2017/09/08/id/812423/

I guess Sen Graham has a plan to use block grants to allow individual states to build their own 'aca' program.  I'll be interested in finding out more details.

Idea being that each state is closer to its own citizens and instead of a one plan fits all approach, it is more cookie cooker based on each local state

population size, mix of issues, etc.

Giving the likes of Brownback, Kobach and the Kochs more power in Kansas? No thanks.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:21 PM, RedDenver said:

Block grants to the states has been a Republican idea for a while. The problem is that it doesn't account for total healthcare costs, but instead attempts to guess what they will be in advance. But if a state comes up short then people just suffer. And it allows for more shenanigans at the federal level like ignoring the evidence/economics of how much it will cost and providing too little. The analyses I've seen shows that the fed paying as needed is much more cost effective if you're actually going to cover healthcare costs.

States don't want "more freedom."

They want federal matching dollars. Healthcare is expensive.

• Plus1 1

The healthcare debate isn't over!  This week is an important one as another set of horrific plans has been presented.  

OPPOSE THE GRAHAM-CASSIDY PLAN TO REPEAL THE ACA:

Call/Visit/Resistbot: Your 2 senators.

Script: Hi. I’m from [ZIP] and I’m calling to express my opposition to the Cassidy-Graham plan to repeal the ACA. Congress needs to improve the Affordable Care Act, not repeal it and leave millions of people without options. Thanks.