Repealing the ACA under Trump

I can almost guarantee you that this is 100% Pence's influence on women's health.

Their wish list:

• The memo, which reads like a wish-list straight out of The Handmaid’s Tale, says Title X funding to help low-income women afford birth control “should be cut in half at least.” The money would be diverted in part to “childcare programs” — a move that suggests the Trump administration knows cutting Title X funding would result in more (unintended) pregnancies and births. 
  • The rest of the funding from Title X would be diverted to “fertility awareness” programs. Fertility awareness is another term for the rhythm method, a “natural” form of birth control that relies on abstinence during the period a woman is fertile each month.
  • Another section of the memo calls for completely defunding the Teen Pregnancy Prevention (TPP) program, an initiative that began under President Obama in 2010 as part of the administration’s embrace of evidence-based policymaking.
  • Instead of funding evidence-based teen pregnancy programs, the Trump administration wants to divert the money to promote “sexual risk avoidance” — also known as abstinence-only education.
  • The leaked memo also outlines a plan to slash USAID’s family planning budget and stipulates that “no other family planning programming for girls should be provided except fertility awareness methods.”

I'm shocked that a guy who won't attend a meeting with a woman without his wife present could come up with such a list.

One of the things that galls me the most about Trump, Pence, et al. is the way they fabricate evidence when there is none to support their positions. For instance:

Another section of the memo calls for completely defunding the Teen Pregnancy Prevention (TPP) program, an initiative that began under President Obama in 2010 as part of the administration’s embrace of evidence-based policymaking. The memo says the program “needs to be defunded as it has not worked, there is no positive evidence and some negative evidence.”

That’s categorically false.

The teen pregnancy rate has fallen dramatically over the last two decades, a trend that is attributed to increased use of contraception, better sex education in public schools, and initiatives like those funded by the TPP grants. In 1991, the teen birth rate was 61.8 births per 1,000 young women and girls (ages 15–19), according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. By 2014, that figure had dropped to 24.2 births per 1,000 teens.

After the teen pregnancy prevention grants took effect in 2010, the rate plummeted even further. Between 2010 and 2015, the teen birth rate fell from about 34 births per 1,000 teens to 22 per 1,000 — a 35 percent drop. Today, the rate is at an all-time low.

As STAT News reported in April:

“This unprecedented decline suggests that the Office of Adolescent Health’s funding strategy for teen pregnancy prevention has been highly effective.”

Here's a chart that shows the trend.

1*P3cieBnHl24VSaTWbeXTHQ.png

That first one in the quote about their justification for defunding TPP is clearly blatantly wrong. One thing I've learned since school is how much the academic & professional worlds revolve around evidence-based stuff anymore. Trump/Pence have an aversion to evidence-based things and instead govern on gut feelings, impulses, religious beliefs & electoral motivations. That's fine I guess, for some, but I wish they didn't falsely frame the discussion like their decisions WERE rooted in concrete science or data or evidence.  Because they're not.

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...

The "tax plan" is a joke.  Working class and middle class families will feel it - the bottom 80% of people will get an increase.  Millionaires will benefit ... AND they've snuck in a plan to take away our health care in this bill.

CALL YOU REPRESENTATIVES.  The link below allows you to easily call, tweet or message your rep.  Takes only a minute and volume of contact from constituents matters - especially with those on the fence (right now Collins, Murkowski, Flake, McCain, Corker & Lankford) but everyone needs to hear from us.

https://trumptaxtoolkit.org

overview.jpg

Edited by NM11046
  • Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Bad people will continue to try and do their bad things. They will sometimes eventually succeed.

You know, there's a clear and extremely obvious way to have an American government not hell bent on doing these things. But it requires being able to distinguish between the two parties and BOTH SIDES is just so much more fashionable.

• Plus1 2

One major thing that I haven’t seen discussed here is how the ACA is massive government overreach. Making it illegal for US citizens to not purchase a service is appalling for a country that is supposed to be free.

Also, while the ACA is really helpful to some people, it royally screws other people. The 1 and only year I used “Obamacare,” I had to go in for some tests.   Long story short, if I would’ve paid for these tests out of pocket, I would’ve saved right around $3500 that year. I realize this is how Insurance works. You’re betting the insurance company you will get sick and they’re betting you won’t, but for the government to force me to purchase something that directly took that money out of my pocket, that’s pretty much tyranny in my book. Also, my premiums nearly doubled the next year so I didn’t renew.

Oh, and since I waited until March to get insurance, I was fined $400 out of my already meager tax return. Thanks US government!

Sorry to hear you had some health scares GBR - wondering if I might ask, what area of the country do you live in?  Have you always voted along party lines?    If you had your choice from the R's (or others) on the primary ballot who were you supporting?

I appreciate your contributions here, we need more like you to participate in these discussions - while I may not agree with your views I appreciate you sharing them and helping me better understand the "whys'.  Nothing will get better in this country if we don't listen to each other.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, GBR0988 said:

One major thing that I haven’t seen discussed here is how the ACA is massive government overreach. Making it illegal for US citizens to not purchase a service is appalling for a country that is supposed to be free.

Saying it's government overreach is just an opinion - and saying "massive" makes it hyperbole as well. And the idea that having to pay for something collectively is somehow against freedom is silly. Is the fact we all have to pay for the roads overreach since not everyone drives on them? And there are tons of other things our taxes go to that we might individually not want to pay for: military, police, post office, etc.

• Plus1 2

Is there such thing as corporate overreach? Is it ok for corporations to leverage life and death situations into a higher demand for products and using that demand to vastly overcharge for said products? Is that freedom? Apparently it is overreach to implement guidelines to prevent this style of business and protect the majority of people, but not overreach to make the guidelines in such a way it allows corporations to take advantage of a person choosing between life or death, which at some point is nearly every citizen of our country. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 3
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Saying it's government overreach is just an opinion - and saying "massive" makes it hyperbole as well. And the idea that having to pay for something collectively is somehow against freedom is silly. Is the fact we all have to pay for the roads overreach since not everyone drives on them? And there are tons of other things our taxes go to that we might individually not want to pay for: military, police, post office, etc.

Taxes for military and police are fine, the Post Office....not so much. How is the government forcing its citizens to purchase a service not overreach?