Repealing the ACA under Trump

I think part of what would be required to have a good health care system is drug company regulation. I just can't see any other way. They charge us more $ than they charge people in other countries.

Republicans won't allow Medicare to negotiate bulk price discounts on drugs (even after Trump promised to). And then of course they turn around and bitch about government inefficiency...

What a great day! Embarrassing for this administration and Paul Ryan, but millions avoided losing healthcare today, which feels amazing as someone who fought for this outcome.

This quote from POTUS still blows my mind:

WHAT??? He stuck his neck out on this, tried to negotiate with reps to get votes, put his name on it... and yet, he thinks the best outcome is his bill failing without a vote? En route to him giving up and moving on to tax reform?

Truly, a puzzling quote, even by Trumpian standards. Either he didn't truly care about healthcare reform all that much, or he and the GOP view electoral consequences as more important than their principles or helping people. Is there any other way to interpret that statement that I'm missing?

What a great day! Embarrassing for this administration and Paul Ryan, but millions avoided losing healthcare today, which feels amazing as someone who fought for this outcome.

This quote from POTUS still blows my mind:

WHAT??? He stuck his neck out on this, tried to negotiate with reps to get votes, put his name on it... and yet, he thinks the best outcome is his bill failing without a vote? En route to him giving up and moving on to tax reform?

Truly, a puzzling quote, even by Trumpian standards. Either he didn't truly care about healthcare reform all that much, or he and the GOP view electoral consequences as more important than their principles or helping people. Is there any other way to interpret that statement that I'm missing?

"Trump is a moron."

What sucks the most is if they don't actually care about repealing ACA is they could have taken a strong bipartisan approach to trying to improve the bill instead of the fiasco they created. I mean it makes sense they came up with a shittier bill when all they seemed to do about the ACA was talk sh#t. Instead of talking about what idiots there are across the aisle, we should be working with those who have different viewpoints to create diverse solutions to significant problems. I have always despised our system because in my time it seems like most politicians are concerned with the politics and not the general public.

• Fire 1

Exactly, Redux. 90% of us are OK with paying for our healthcare. We just shouldn't be bankrupt if we get sick.

I mean, gun ownership is considered a "right," but healthcare isn't? Is that really what we think this country's priorities should be?

I've come to terms with the fact we are already being swindled for having to pay for any healthcare at all, but the cost of things is outrageous. Treatments, medications and insurance itself have become a nightmare. And the money isn't going towards anything worthwhile, it's going in pockets.

good job dems now my healthcare will remain sky high

Thank the Republicans more than anyone for that. They have done nothing to address accelerating healthcare cost, while Obamacare has at least slowed the acceleration.

Actually neither side has addressed accelerating costs. The dems did at least address some accessibility and care issues while all the repubs have done is piss, moan and posture.

True, which is why I didn't give them credit for addressing it.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood what you meant by "Obamacare has at least slowed the acceleration". For many Americans, Obamacare has actually exacerbated the accelerating costs problem. That is why this current deal and today's repubs really piss me off. They had an opportunity to make a difference and help a bunch of people....and this sh!t bill and half-assed effort is all we got. Might as well face it, we're just screwed when it comes to healthcare. Fixing the cost problem would require doing things that piss off big time donors and lobbies for both parties. It's why Obamacare and the dems didn't address it and it's why the republicans won't even consider it. Our system is beyond broke. It is an oligarchy whose only purpose is to get re-elected, stay in power and line their own and their benefactors pockets to achieve it. None of them give two f#cks about the citizens of this country.
Sorry, I wasn't detailed enough in what I said. The ACA was never meant to address rising cost, we all know this. That was it's biggest flaw. Unless I'm mistkaen though it slowed the rate of growth for health insurance premiums. That's better than nothing.

Fixing a lot of things in this country is going to piss off the lobbyist and donors. We need a lot of people with the balls to do it, and an informed electorate. I don't know if those things will ever happened to a large enough extent required for change.

So, now that this happened, is it really that good for Democrats? I think slowing down the loss of coverage is good for the people who need it, but politically for the Democrats, I don't know.

If Obamacare fails, can't the Republicans just blame the whole thing on Democrats refusing to compromise? It's not like (many of) their voters see anything but Fox News. They're not going to suddenly think, "we're saved!"

On the otherhand if this bill had passed and then was terrible, it would have been worse for the Republicans.

So, now that this happened, is it really that good for Democrats? I think slowing down the loss of coverage is good for the people who need it, but politically for the Democrats, I don't know.

If Obamacare fails, can't the Republicans just blame the whole thing on Democrats refusing to compromise? It's not like (many of) their voters see anything but Fox News. They're not going to suddenly think, "we're saved!"

On the otherhand if this bill had passed and then was terrible, it would have been worse for the Republicans.

Yes. The bold is correct. They're very likely to try to undermine the ACA going forward as they've done with climate regulations. BUT... people tend to blame the party in power for things like their healthcare failing.

Trump and the GOP can aggressively finger the opposition party as the culprit. But it's really hard to make that argument when they've GOT THE VOTES to pass a new healthcare law RIGHT NOW and can't get it done.

If I was the Democrats, I'd push the heck out of proposed changes to the ACA to try to bring costs down. Call Trump's bluff and see if he cares about improving people's lives or just getting an R-branded healthcare system in place.

I saw some polling on this AHCA debacle - Independents hated it. REPUBLICANS (!!!) mostly hated it. Trump blaming it on Democrats isn't going to go over well with many people beyond his own diehards.

• Fire 1

all the republicans had to do was keep fewer than 21 pubs from jumping ship to get trumpcare. they failed to keep them. they didn't need any democrats and didn't even try to work with the democrats. now trump is calling them out. whatever. the elephant footprints are all over healthcare now so lets see where they lead.

• Fire 1

I am 21 years old and this situation astounds me. I understand this is a complicated and difficult issue but it can be solved. Hell if I was the president I could handle this better than what is happening now. I mean how hard is it to gather the experts on this issue from all political backgrounds into a room and create and honest to goodness solution for the people? I guarantee they could come up with a competent plan if they really tried and that is what is so frustrating.

This administration better get itself a better process to solving America's problems because the current process they have in place is completely ineffective

• Fire 2

Your plan depends on the motivations of the people you gather in place. There are definitely competing interests here.

I understand that as well and that's why things don't get done but what I'm saying is the motivation SHOULD be to do what's best for the American people as a whole. Nothing will be accomplished without a common objective. That's the hardest part obviously but it shouldn't be.

I understand also that people have different ideas of what is best for America and so on but that being said if these people truly wanted to do so they would overcome those differences and use them to create diverse solutions instead of letting the party lines become like bubble world's in which both sides treat the other as alien. We have to come together and realize differences in opinion can be used to create something good for all