Repealing the ACA under Trump

Copays and insurance would have gone up without Obamacare. They've been going up for more than two decades.

I'm really curious how one would expect prices to remain controlled -- absent regulations and particularly in a market where participation is depressed by the volume of people don't buy insurance because they feel like they don't need it.

Copays and insurance would have gone up without Obamacare. They've been going up for more than two decades.

Except that my provider expressly stated that the increases were due to Obamacare, and the fact they had never, at any time, increased in the 8 years or so prior to Obamacare.

Nice try, but in the real world you're wrong yet again.

Except that my provider expressly stated that the increases were due to Obamacare, and the fact they had never, at any time, increased in the 8 years or so prior to Obamacare.

And it never occured to you that your provider could have some ulterior motive for blaming it all on Obamacare? Please define what "real world" means to you after looking at the follwing. Keep in mind this is growth. Every year on the graphs, it increased.

premium-growth.png

Source: Kaiser Family Foundation

NHE-private-insurance-growth-chart.png

• Fire 2

Yes, there was a one time increase when insurers had to adopt the new provisions of the ACA. It is generally recognized that contributed about a 25% one time increase. But I'm going to have call bullsh#t on no increases in the 8 years prior to Obamacare. About the best cases show 8% to 12% annual increases pre ACA. The only way your premiums weren't increasing is if you were in an employer sponsored plan and the employer was absorbing those increases or your coverage and deductibles kept getting worse and worse. No way in hell premiums were not increasing on a major medical health plan. No chance, unless you're talking some type of aflac deal.

Post ACA the annual increases have been the same or more than prior. And I'm not basing this on just my premium experiences. I've looked at all small group plans available in the state of Colorado for about the last 15 years and have had numerous discussions with a broker about what has been happening industry wide.

• Fire 6

As others have stated, this is complete BS.

What kind of plan are you on? Large group, small group, individual?

Yes, there was a one time increase when insurers had to adopt the new provisions of the ACA. It is generally recognized that contributed about a 25% one time increase. But I'm going to have call bullsh#t on no increases in the 8 years prior to Obamacare. About the best cases show 8% to 12% annual increases pre ACA. The only way your premiums weren't increasing is if you were in an employer sponsored plan and the employer was absorbing those increases or your coverage and deductibles kept getting worse and worse. No way in hell premiums were not increasing on a major medical health plan. No chance, unless you're talking some type of aflac deal.

Post ACA the annual increases have been the same or more than prior. And I'm not basing this on just my premium experiences. I've looked at all small group plans available in the state of Colorado for about the last 15 years and have had numerous discussions with a broker about what has been happening industry wide.

Are you saying that the ACA caused a 25% one time increase in small group premiums? Can you expound on that as I have never heard that before.

Wow.

The way I read this (they stayed in Iowa, Nebraska, Delaware, and Virginia; they bailed on Florida and Pennsylvania) is it reasonable to wonder if they were specifically bailing on swing states in an attempt to hurt Obama's potential successor in hopes of a GOP candidate winning to undermine the ACA itself?

Dang shame. I wish the focus here was getting people quality healthcare, but both the insurance companies and our GOP elected officials seem to prioritize dismantling this at whatever cost.

This is good. Collins is one of the most reasonable GOP senators out there, IMO. As a bonus she didn't vote for Trump.

It's pretty interesting to watch this unfold. It seems to me a good amount of the GOP governors now are cautioning against upending the ACA, because the people in their state mostly like it for their healthcare. The governor is probably also more likely to be hammered immediately if their state's healthcare falters.

But I don't see them being able to churn up the necessary Senate votes to get this passed.

Premiums had been slowly increasing. Very slowly. Co-pays, not at all prior to Obamacare.

Don't get me started on the price of meds.

As others have stated, this is complete BS.

What kind of plan are you on? Large group, small group, individual?

Per Obama, I'm a protected class. Group plan.