Dems Rebuild

What huge price did he pay?  He’s still married. His daughter loves him and defends him.  He didn’t lose his job. He’s worshipped by Democrats. He gets paid 6 figures to speak just because of who he is.  He's revered in many circles as some high moral figure to give insite on any subject.

This woman has lost it. 

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1

I am extremely unimpressed with the Democrats on this matter. I expected better. I expect Democrat voters to demand better: 

https://www.vox.com/2017/11/26/16702090/nancy-pelosi-conyers-sexual-harassment

Pelosi has, in the past, worked to push out members involved in inappropriate behavior. But in public, on a popular Sunday show, she ran through a list of excuses for Conyers that are the very reasons women are afraid to come forward and report sexual harassment in the first place:

Conyers is the credible one. He is an “icon,” she told Todd. The woman? “I do not know who they are. Do you?” ...

Conyers is the real victim. Pelosi is withholding judgment until Conyers gets “due process,” she said. But Conyers got something better than due process. Congress wrote the rules for how sexual harassment claims are handled, exempting members from requirements that most other employers must follow. ...

Conyers is a good man. “He understands what is at stake here and he’ll do the right thing,” Pelosi said ...

Conyers cares about women. “He’s done a great deal to protect women,” Pelosi said, pointing out he worked on the Violence Against Women Act. How, she implied, could he have hurt a woman who works for him? ...

Conyers’ behavior isn’t so bad. “Was it one accusation? Was it two?” Pelosi said when talking through how she is considering Conyers’s case. In an age of serial predators, maybe one woman’s story shouldn’t count. ...

To date, I haven't learned too much about Pelosi or had any bones to pick. This is infuriating.

Remember the people who had an opportunity to do what was right but instead played the same game all defenders of sexual assault and harassment must play.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

I am extremely unimpressed with the Democrats on this matter. I expected better. I expect Democrat voters to demand better: 

https://www.vox.com/2017/11/26/16702090/nancy-pelosi-conyers-sexual-harassment

To date, I haven't learned too much about Pelosi or had any bones to pick. This is infuriating.

Remember the people who had an opportunity to do what was right but instead played the same game all defenders of sexual assault and harassment must play.

Here is my thing about sexual harassment and believing women. We should always believe the person making the accusation before we believe the accused. 9 times out of 10 when a person comes put and says they were sexually assaulted, it's because they were sexually assaulted. In the very rare case someone cries wolf, the truth of that nearly always comes out. People are innocent until proven guilty in the court of law, but in the court of public opinion, the rules are much different. We need to believe the accusers over the accused because the accused will almost always have a greater motive to lie. In all of these scandals there is one thing that is pretty constant; denial by the accused. These people are not going to take responsibility for their actions so we must force responsibility on them as they forced themselves on to others.

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, QMany said:

I agree; the Democrats in Congress that have spoken up have really put their foot in their mouth. Pelosi, WTF? And I haven't seen/heard anything from the young blood like Booker, Harris, etc.

I believe Pelosi is trying to tiptoe around the Congressional Black Caucus, of which Conyers is co-founder (1969) and thus, legend. With the wind at their back heading into 2018, I think she'd rather not ruffle any feathers amongst their rank.

I also believe this is a horrible miscalculation and badly misplaying her hand. You can't tiptoe around this stuff, even with a founding member of the CBC. If the allegations against him are reputable (and they appear to be well-sourced), he needs to go, period. Not just step down from leadership roles. Same goes for Franken. I was unsure earlier because the charges against him appear to be of a lesser nature and he seems to be handling the issue better, but this is something it's just not worth equivocating on.

Pelosi got too big for her britches on this one. This is something Dems absolutely should demand ideological purity on.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I’d be interested to see what exactly both parties ideals really are on the major issues we face ? I guess I’m not seeing that the Democrats are really so far away from their original message . 

Depends what you think their original message was.

Following politics since the mid 80s and reading about previous administrations here’s my brief take on the core message  . Democrats are more about putting tax money directly into social programs , supporting workers rights/unions , affordable healthcare, public schools, strong market regulations, stimulus packes etc in an effort to even the playing field for ALL Americans Diplomacy  over war ,  tolerance of all religions , races and sexual preferences . Etc A More  humanistic approach . 

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 2

If we managed to get all the Republicans out of power there would still be fierce political divisions. Contentious ruptures among the left which you can still follow now would expose themselves. Debates will be had, compromises will be made, not everyone will be pleased...but one thing it won't be is a debate between outright evil and "anything other than that".

If you want to get to this point where we can fight among the different wings of the Democrats, to either try and discredit the old guard or stem the new tide within that party and so on, there's' a way to try to get there and it absolutely doesn't involve being indifferent as to whether Republicans or Democrats hold majorities in government. I should hope the present makes that perfectly, terrifyingly clear.

28 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Following politics since the mid 80s and reading about previous administrations here’s my brief take on the core message  . Democrats are more about putting tax money directly into social programs , supporting workers rights/unions , affordable healthcare, public schools, strong market regulations, stimulus packes etc in an effort to even the playing field for ALL Americans Diplomacy  over war ,  tolerance of all religions , races and sexual preferences . Etc A More  humanistic approach . 

Dems haven't supported unions and workers rights since the Third Way policies took over starting with Bill Clinton. Nor have they been strong on market regulations.