Dems Rebuild

It's fairly telling about the state of the Democratic Party that the most traffic this thread has gotten is a tangent about economic policy.

There really isn't anything to say about the Democrats, is there?

The Dems aren't really doing anything policy-wise. There's a lot going on within the party with regards to whether the establishment or progressive (aka Clinton or Bernie) wings of the party gain control. On the progressive side, groups like Brand New Congress and Justice Democrats are working on primarying establishment candidates, but that's slow and not as exciting as arguing over ideologies.

There are the drugs from Canada and $15 min wage bills proposed by Sanders with some Dems supporting.

It's fairly telling about the state of the Democratic Party that the most traffic this thread has gotten is a tangent about economic policy.

do the democrats have to do much besides watch trump captain the titanic towards the iceberg?

They should if they want to change their image, but I bet they basically sit around and talk about opposing the Repubs.

Wresting control of Congress from them will require them to put the brakes on Trump's agenda. Most of it is widely unpopular, especially so in the Democratic base. There are a handful of issues like infrastructure where they could work with him.

But that would require being adults. The GOP showed where slamming your foot in the ground and saying no, no, NO to everything can get you... Control of both Houses of Congress and a vast majority of governorships. Anger can be harnessed quite well at the polls.

In order to affect change, they need to get back in power. In order to do that, they must block Trump's plans.

After that is accomplished, the goal is to NOT do what the GOP is currently doing -- seem completely incompetent and incapable of governance once in power.

To fix the underlying messaging/priorities problem at their core will required deeper introspection and a reckoning for them to find out what they stand for - besides opposing Trump.

Hopefully with a new influx of faces into the party will come new, constructive ideas that reflect the mood of the country.

I think they could affect change by appealing to the voters. Where are their plans? Why don't they propose policies? They don't have to win the vote to get the conversation started about an issue in order to win the vote down the line.

The Dems aren't really doing anything policy-wise. There's a lot going on within the party with regards to whether the establishment or progressive (aka Clinton or Bernie) wings of the party gain control. On the progressive side, groups like Brand New Congress and Justice Democrats are working on primarying establishment candidates, but that's slow and not as exciting as arguing over ideologies.

There are the drugs from Canada and $15 min wage bills proposed by Sanders with some Dems supporting.

do the democrats have to do much besides watch trump captain the titanic towards the iceberg?

They should if they want to change their image, but I bet they basically sit around and talk about opposing the Repubs.

Wresting control of Congress from them will require them to put the brakes on Trump's agenda. Most of it is widely unpopular, especially so in the Democratic base. There are a handful of issues like infrastructure where they could work with him.

But that would require being adults. The GOP showed where slamming your foot in the ground and saying no, no, NO to everything can get you... Control of both Houses of Congress and a vast majority of governorships. Anger can be harnessed quite well at the polls.

In order to affect change, they need to get back in power. In order to do that, they must block Trump's plans.

After that is accomplished, the goal is to NOT do what the GOP is currently doing -- seem completely incompetent and incapable of governance once in power.

To fix the underlying messaging/priorities problem at their core will required deeper introspection and a reckoning for them to find out what they stand for - besides opposing Trump.

Hopefully with a new influx of faces into the party will come new, constructive ideas that reflect the mood of the country.

I think they could affect change by appealing to the voters. Where are their plans? Why don't they propose policies? They don't have to win the vote to get the conversation started about an issue in order to win the vote down the line.

$1T infrastructure plan. (exactly what Trump said he wants from Congress)

Free public tuition at state schools.

Importing prescription drugs.

Expanding Social Security.

Tons of environmental policies... tons.

Now, a lot of that is just pulled from Bernie's legislative log. But the ideas are there. Some of those probably turn off fiscal conservatives, but some are common sense. But their messaging sucks. It's eerie how opposite they seem from the GOP, whose messaging is superior but many of whose policies don't capture the public sentiment.

At the same time, there's a bit of foul play afoot. Gerrymandering has really gotten out of hand and needs to be dealt with. All I want is a fair electoral process, free of shenanigans, and to let the chips fall where they may. Since they've succeeded so well at the state level, the GOP is willfully preventing such efforts to magnify their power.

Now, a lot of that is just pulled from Bernie's legislative log. But the ideas are there. Some of those probably turn off fiscal conservatives, but some are common sense. But their messaging sucks. It's eerie how opposite they seem from the GOP, whose messaging is superior but many of whose policies don't capture the public sentiment.

At the same time, there's a bit of foul play afoot. Gerrymandering has really gotten out of hand and needs to be dealt with. All I want is a fair electoral process, free of shenanigans, and to let the chips fall where they may. Since they've succeeded so well at the state level, the GOP is willfully preventing such efforts to magnify their power.

The only thing in that entire list that comes close t creating jobs and income for people directly is the first one.

That's what people were voting for in this election.

I'm not saying this to dismiss those other issues. But...what does any of that matter if they don't have a good job and a growing economy to make money to provide for their families.

Just look at the coal industry that Trump won over in this election. The Democrats were all about putting them out of business and out of jobs. What did they propose to bring jobs back to those communities? Great....those people have cleaner air to breath....while the are on welfare.

I think you're supporting my point. The first link is a proposal by the Dems, but it's from back in January. The rest of those links are all proposals by Bernie Sanders.

The Dems basically have proposed one thing back in January and haven't even followed up on that one. Where are they?

Here is why I'm stuck between two parties.

I can't be a part of a party that doesn't care about healthcare, environment, raising the level of equality....or that they think crap like constitutional amendments against gay marriage are the most important issue in the world when we are fighting 3 wars...etc.

I can't be a part of a party that believes those evil corporations and rich people are doing nothing but raping and pillaging Americans and we need to either punish them or make them pay for everything.

I'm stuck being pissed at everyone.

• Fire 1

I can't be a part of a party that doesn't care about healthcare, environment, raising the level of equality....or that they think crap like constitutional amendments against gay marriage are the most important issue in the world when we are fighting 3 wars...etc.

I can't be a part of a party that believes those evil corporations and rich people are doing nothing but raping and pillaging Americans and we need to either punish them or make them pay for everything.

I hear you and can relate. Give me the old time Dems - I could live with those. HHH where are you now that we need you? RFK, JFK, Scoop Jackson, Sam Nunn, etc

i agree. the democratic and republican parties have both gone so far to the left and right and so far from the middle ground that neither party deserves any support anymore. f#*k the liberals and the conservatives...get some damn moderates who can work together in office and get america united again.

i agree. the democratic and republican parties have both gone so far to the left and right and so far from the middle ground that neither party deserves any support anymore. f#*k the liberals and the conservatives...get some damn moderates who can work together in office and get america united again.

So what should we call our new moderate party and who should lead it?

So what should we call our new moderate party and who should lead it?

i dont care what they call themselves. they can be democrats and republicans if they want...but get the extremists out of there who can find no middle ground. right now they are almost all at the far right or left and at war with each other .

The only thing in that entire list that comes close t creating jobs and income for people directly is the first one.

I'm not saying this to dismiss those other issues. But...what does any of that matter if they don't have a good job and a growing economy to make money to provide for their families.

Just look at the coal industry that Trump won over in this election. The Democrats were all about putting them out of business and out of jobs. What did they propose to bring jobs back to those communities? Great....those people have cleaner air to breath....while the are on welfare.

THEY DID.

Clinton very clearly proposed retraining for coal workers since the industry is dying.

She said she'd be putting them out of jobs, but it was important not to leave them behind.

Unwise choice of words. All anyone heard was "put them out of jobs." She had very clear policies for helping coal communities modernize for the future.

Messaging sucked, and people hate Clinton, but my only point was the policy was actually there.

I think you're supporting my point. The first link is a proposal by the Dems, but it's from back in January. The rest of those links are all proposals by Bernie Sanders.

The Dems basically have proposed one thing back in January and haven't even followed up on that one. Where are they?

I agree that they need to be more vocal about good policies that help people.

They're doing that right now, trying to stave off this stupid Frankenstein Trumpcare bill. That's fighting for healthcare for people. I think that's very important.

But they DO need more ideas and popular policies. They need to learn to do more listening and less agenda-setting. Let the people dictate that, don't force feed it to them.

For instance, I know a lot of people who think gun control is a non-starter that absolutely kills them with large swaths of the electorate. Others feel passionate about it.

They've also caught some flack recently about an intra-party discussion about whether pro-life pols should be allowed in the party. Personally I'm all for that - grow a big tent.

It's especially important as your advice hues close to this Vox piece comparing Trump to Italy's Berlusconi. Berlusconi was only beaten two times, both by anti-establishment challengers who ignored his boisterous persona to focus on issues and how his were hurting Italians.

THEY DID.

Clinton very clearly proposed retraining for coal workers since the industry is dying.

She said she'd be putting them out of jobs, but it was important not to leave them behind.

Unwise choice of words. All anyone heard was "put them out of jobs." She had very clear policies for helping coal communities modernize for the future.

Messaging sucked, and people hate Clinton, but my only point was the policy was actually there.

You can get frustrated all you want with reality. But, it doesn't change.

People in those areas saw one party as the one that put them out of jobs. They heard another candidate talking about bringing those jobs back.

And...people voted for jobs because they were sitting at home without them.

We may be going through another political realignment here soon. Hopefully words like "moderate" and "compromise" will no longer be dirty words and we can flush out some of the crazies.

• Fire 1

THEY DID.

You can get frustrated all you want with reality. But, it doesn't change.

People in those areas saw one party as the one that put them out of jobs. They heard another candidate talking about bringing those jobs back.

And...people voted for jobs because they were sitting at home without them.

I'm not frustrated. I'm merely making a counterpoint.

I'm well aware of how well Trump's uber-nationalist message sold.

The reasons Trump won were numerous. Let's not pretend everything boiled down to jobs. Even if that was a large part of it.

2.5.16.2.jpg?itok=h8SlpGcJ

That graph means nothing if I'm sitting in North Carolina and Obama's policies has put my company out of business and me out of a job and I'm collecting food stamps to feed my kids.

Oh...but Hillary comes around and talks about how great Obama has been and how she is going to continue his policies along with all these frilly things that are listed in your link about "investing in the future" and "repurposing mining land".....bla bla bla.....

Problem is, Americans have heard this crap for decades and people still lose jobs because of decisions being made in Washington. THAT'S what people are sick of.