Trans-Pacific Partnership is Dead

I was not a fan of it but I never saw this as only benefiting the 1%. It benefited corporations mostly and imo benefited the top ~25%. The fact it exported the DMCA ruined the Intellectual Property provisions. The Labor Standards provisions were what the AFL-CIO had been wanting for years. I think the problem is a number of unions and working class believe the lost manufacturing jobs will return. It will never happen if for no other reason than automation.

Anyway, will be interesting to see what takes its place. I do believe we need some kind of trade agreement to offset the hold China has on the Pacific Rim...

• Fire 1

I think the problem is a number of unions and working class believe the lost manufacturing jobs will return. It will never happen if for no other reason than automation.

Yep. Automation has lost many, many more manufacturing jobs than immigration or free trade. For small town and rural America where the service economy doesn't work, I don't see how to generate enough new jobs.
  • Fire 1

^^^^ Which is why it's intellectually dishonest to run around telling people that all our manufacturing jobs are being lost because of bad trade deals. As is usually the case, the truth is a lot more complex than that. I maintain a grudge against Trump and Bernie for that, though I do like their aspirations to help the working people of our country.

I just would've felt a lot more confident in Bernie actually trying to do so. I see in Trump a duplicitous guy whose entire business career has been built upon upward growth and cultivation of wealth for himself. I'm not completely convinced he suddenly started caring about the little guy overnight and wasn't just peddling that stuff for votes. Time will tell.

• Fire 1

People who think this is good for most of America are not following the thought through.

Driving up the cost of a good is exactly like imposing a repressive income tax.

This is a tragic path we are taking.

I tend to agree.

The Atlantic: TPP's death won't help the middle class

Of course, detractors say that despite the rules on the books, the TPP was not enforceable enough, and that countries would still be able to flaunt laws with impunity. And by lowering tariffs, the TPP could have caused some jobs to move overseas. But the TPP was the U.S.’s last best chance to get other countries to improve their labor standards, Bown says. With it gone, there are few options left...

The Times: This was the TPP

I've read a few criticisms about it, too, but I struggle to understand why the Democratic Party has been so captured by anti-TPP fervor.

• 1 year later...

Worst deal ever!

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/business/economy/donald-trump-trade-tpp-trans-pacific-partnership.html?mtrref=www.google.com

The far-reaching trade agreement with 11 other Pacific Rim nations that President Obama hoped to leave as a major legacy, but which Mr. Trump called “a terrible deal,” is dead.

Joke is on you! We want back in. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/trump-weighs-rejoining-trans-pacific-partnership/2018/04/12/37d59500-3e71-11e8-8d53-eba0ed2371cc_story.html?utm_term=.1a7c1a8cc2d3

President Trump ordered top administration officials Thursday to look at rejoining the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a major shift on the sprawling multination trade pact he rejected just days after taking office.

Edited by deedsker
  • Plus1 2

^^^  oh - the guy isn't so smart after all.  This go it alone thing does always work in the real world.

https://www.axios.com/ben-sasse-trump-has-asked-larry-kudlow-robert-lighthizer-to-look-at-re-entering-tpp-0c6215ba-d6b8-4ebd-ab59-5dc69869cbf5.html

“The president is a guy who likes to blue-sky a lot and entertain a lot of different ideas, but he multiple times reaffirmed the point that TPP might be easier for us to join now … and that we might be the 12th party."
— Sen. Sasse

Worth noting: As Axios' Jonathan Swan has written, "The reason this White House is so bad at tamping down speculation is because the guy in the Oval Office quite likes all the gossip and is constantly floating ideas."

Go deeper: Japan sees the TPP as its key weapon in countering Chinese influence and, like other allies, was frustrated to see the U.S. leave the agreement.

<Sigh>

If the current version of the TPP goes through, we're giving up some sovereign rights as a nation and seeding them to an international tribunal that's selected by corporations. I'm sure that won't be a major set back to the environment, workers' rights, or consumer protections.

• 1 month later...

Speaking for Exports - I came across this unique article which detail each states major export.  Now Nebraska's largest export of beef seems logical and so does Iowa's - no one will fall over surprised by 'corn' being the answer.  But what about my home state  of SD - Distillery Dregs!! What in the world is that you may ask. :dunno    The answer is below.

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/largest-export-every-u-s-state-2017/?utm_source=linkedIn&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare

Possibly the title of “Most Unusual Top State Export” can go to South Dakota, which sent $91 million of distillery dregs outside of the country in 2017. In case you were wondering, the U.S. Census Bureau’s full category title for this is as follows: BREWING OR DISTILLING DREGS AND WASTE, W/NT PELLET.

This spent grain is a byproduct of brewing or distilling processes, and is primarily sold for use in making animal feeds.

So what is happening with Kentucky?  SD has your Distilling Dregs (I thought you were known for whisky) and Montana has tobacco!:o  Since when did Montana become a tobacco state! Doesn't that belong to Kentucky as well:blink:  A lot of airplane states -- including my own Oklahoma. 

The Largest Export of Every U.S. State in 2017

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Speaking for Exports - I came across this unique article which detail each states major export.  Now Nebraska's largest export of beef seems logical and so does Iowa's - no one will fall over surprised by 'corn' being the answer.  But what about my home state  of SD - Distillery Dregs!! What in the world is that you may ask. :dunno    The answer is below.

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/largest-export-every-u-s-state-2017/?utm_source=linkedIn&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare

So what is happening with Kentucky?  SD has your Distilling Dregs (I thought you were known for whisky) and Montana has tobacco!:o  Since when did Montana become a tobacco state! Doesn't that belong to Kentucky as well:blink:  A lot of airplane states -- including my own Oklahoma. 

I think it's pretty similar to "distillers grains" that are sold out of ethanol plants.  It might be the same thing.  

Wet distillers grains can be sold to feed lots for cattle feed.  However, for hogs they need to be dried down and usually pelletized.  The dried product can easily be exported.

• Plus1 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I think it's pretty similar to "distillers grains" that are sold out of ethanol plants.  It might be the same thing.  

Wet distillers grains can be sold to feed lots for cattle feed.  However, for hogs they need to be dried down and usually pelletized.  The dried product can easily be exported.

You are probably right on that - lots of ethanol plants in SD.