Keystone Pipeline

On 11/12/2016 at 5:26 PM, Stumpy1 said:

I have worked in the pipeline business for over 10 years and have witnessed more tanker truck spills and train wrecks then I have pipeline leaks.

According to Hazmat, who we work with, there is 10 tanker wrecks and a train wreck to every pipeline leak. Just to give you an idea on gallons. A tanker will haul anywhere from 7800 - 10,000 gallons depending on the product. A train that is fully loaded will carry an average of 250,000 gallons. It still doesn't make it okay but people tend to give pipelines a bad rap when in reality, it is the safest mode of transportation for petroleum products.

This post didn't age well. 

• Plus1 2

Also keep in mind that this is no ordinary oil-spill.  The tar suspension that flows through these pipes is particularly nasty, and much harder to clean up.  If you want to completely understand what it is that got spilled, here's a description:

http://americablog.com/2013/06/what-does-a-tar-sand-pipeline-actually-contain-among-other-things-sulphur-arcenic-mercury.html

The "diluted bitumen (tar)" or "dilbit" itself naturally conains sulphur, arsenic, nickel, lead and mercury, among many other heavy metals.

This is diluted with lighter-than-water fluids, like deisel.  The exact mixture is a trade secret :thumbs and likely contains a good amount of BENZENE as well as other toxics.

It's all heated to 150 to 160 degrees Faranheit and forced through the pipe at high-pressure.  This, of course, makes pipe corrosion and ruptures more likely, but is neccessary in order to move the sludge through the pipe.

No big deal.  I'm sure a leak happening near the Ogallala Aquifer will never happen.

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, GBR0988 said:

Yeah, these pipelines are definitely causing a higher demand for cleanup crews...

http://www.dailywire.com/news/13219/lol-standing-rock-protesters-leave-behind-enough-frank-camp

Good point!  Myself, I'd much rather have hundreds of thousands of gallons of carcinogenic toxic waste pumped into my drinking water than have to clean up a campsite left by dirty hippies and lazy Indians!  Amirite?

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Good point!  Myself, I'd much rather have hundreds of thousands of gallons of carcinogenic toxic waste pumped into my drinking water than have to clean up a campsite left by dirty hippies and lazy Indians!  Amirite?

I guess I’m just more concerned with the hypocrisy , than being an alarmist about something that human ingenuity could handle if such a problem ever did occur. It’s  just crazy how we’re constantly hearing about the 72,000 miles of crude oil pipelines already in use in the US dumping waste into drinking water every day. Amirite?

29 minutes ago, GBR0988 said:

I guess I’m just more concerned with the hypocrisy , than being an alarmist about something that human ingenuity could handle if such a problem ever did occur. It’s  just crazy how we’re constantly hearing about the 72,000 miles of crude oil pipelines already in use in the US dumping waste into drinking water every day. Amirite?

Ummm........

The reason we're having this conversation is because some of that 72,000 miles failed.  And humans with their ingenuity are forced to clean it up....

Edited by funhusker
38 minutes ago, GBR0988 said:

Are you being sarcastic?  There were at least 5 spills this year over 80,000 gallons. One over 600,000 gallons in Louisiana.

We maybe be able to clean up most oil spills, but there is also the issue of who is paying for that cleanup. There is a whole other unique situation in the case of the sandhills and Ogallala aquifer. A spill could seep through the soil like a sieve and once it's in the aquifer you're not scrubbing that out.

• Plus1 3
18 hours ago, funhusker said:

Ummm........

The reason we're having this conversation is because some of that 72,000 miles failed.  And humans with their ingenuity are forced to clean it up....

Humans and their ingenuity are forced to clean up your garbage... Are you going to stop throwing things away or know this is how modern life works and trust it to be dealt with?  

I guess we wouldn’t be having this conversation if there were no pipelines. Is that what you want?

18 hours ago, GBR0988 said:

human ingenuity has not figured out a way to clean up the groundwater contamination that a spill into the aquifer would cause....but i guess it is hypocrisy  to try to prevent that from happening

Edited by commando
  • Plus1 1
17 hours ago, ZRod said:

Are you being sarcastic?  There were at least 5 spills this year over 80,000 gallons. One over 600,000 gallons in Louisiana.

We maybe be able to clean up most oil spills, but there is also the issue of who is paying for that cleanup. There is a whole other unique situation in the case of the sandhills and Ogallala aquifer. A spill could seep through the soil like a sieve and once it's in the aquifer you're not scrubbing that out.

I guess you have to weigh pros and cons and decide what you think is best. IMO the benefits of having an abundance of oil outweighs having to clean up a few spills a year, which we are perfectly capable of cleaning. As of right now, pipelines are the most efficient way to handle the oil so we have to do our best to mitigate possible damage until we have other Cheap and Efficient forms of energy to power this modern society in which we live.