Big10 Race and a little CFP tidbit.

Then get rid of the conferences, get rid of conference title games; hell, might as well not even play the games. Just let the selection committee pick the "best" 4 teams.

C dawgy dawg, I did say way up in the thread that if Penn State were to demolish Wisconsin in Indy they could make a case for the playoff.

Situationally speaking to this season, I don't see Penn State laying claim to being one of the four best teams this season unless they just demolished their opponent in Indy.

So until you go with the 'Conference champs only' policy, I think I've explained my position on what I think the role of the committee should be/is currently.

I don't necessarily disagree; I just have an issue with putting teams in the playoff that don't even win their division. Ohio State may have the most talent this side of Alabama, but how does it not completely invalidate the results on the field if PSU wins the Big Ten at 11-2, having beat both Wisky and OSU, and not get into the playoff?

C-Dog, while you and I differ on this opinion, you do bring up a valid argument. It does create very muddy waters. However, the committee's task is to choose the 4 best teams in the country. I don't think there are any other imposed guidelines. If Ohio State were to finish 11-1 and Penn State were to finish 11-2, and having seen both of the teams this season, I would say that Ohio State is a better team than Penn State.

Overall, I would agree with you; Ohio State is the better team, and 9 out of 10 times, they would probably win. Sometimes I'm too objective for my own good.

Nothing wrong with being objective. If NU were Penn State in this instance, I would probably have your opinion. Penn State deserves to be in the conversation, but as I posted above, the analysis should be done on Penn State vs. Washington or Clemson or Louisville, and not Ohio State.

This thread brings up some valid points:

1. If a conference championship is not a prerequisite, why play them? (and risk the better team being knocked off in a fluke game)

2. If you have to win your conference to be considered, why play a non-conference schedule? (or why schedule any hard teams)

3. Why are the Group of 5 conferences even trying to get involved if the chance of them getting in is so miniscule? (my addition)

the answer to all 3 questions, of course, is an 8-team playoff with 5 automatic qualifiers. I'm now leaning against the B12 getting one, so 4 Power-4 champs, the best Group-of-6 school, and 3 wildcards.

The committee would determine the GO6 school and wildcards, as well as the seeding.

You also have to look at the fact that it should be the 4 best teams at "the end of the season". Penn State has lost games that don't look good, however they were early on and if they string several wins (including against OSU) they probably get the node.

Is the committee mandated to select the best teams at the "end of the season"? That's more subjective than looking at the entire season of work.

It could be argued that USC is playing as well as any team in the country right now, but they have 3 losses, so I don't think they should be realistically considered by the CFP committee.

Nebraska fans arguing the merit of a team not winning the conference championship game (or even a participant) in the playoff/National Championship is a little hypocritical. Just saying.

Not sure why you feel this way?

As a CFB fan, speculation as to what may or could happen, is part of that.

IMO. Michigan wins over OSU and the conversation is done right?

Nope, If Michigan wins over OSU, OSU is out of the conversation, but it's not the end of what will happen with Michigan. If they then lose to Wisconsin or us in the B1G, they would be out as well, right? So does Wisconsin get in? If we were to win, we are no way getting into the CFP but Wisconsin has a chance yet.

Darn it, guess I am a hypocrite for being a fan.

Have to love all the varibles?

Nebraska fans arguing the merit of a team not winning the conference championship game (or even a participant) in the playoff/National Championship is a little hypocritical. Just saying.

Referring to 2001?

We didn't put our team into that Rose Bowl championship game, a computer did.

Pepperidge farm remembers 2001

Nope, If Michigan wins over OSU, OSU is out of the conversation, but it's not the end of what will happen with Michigan. If they then lose to Wisconsin or us in the B1G, they would be out as well, right? So does Wisconsin get in? If we were to win, we are no way getting into the CFP but Wisconsin has a chance yet.

2001 ring a bell. We lucked out and got in to the BCS championship without even playing in the Big 12 conference championship. 1999 could be argued the other way. Needless to say we have been on both sides of the coin, and have been on the receiving end of some very helpful chips falling our way.

The committee has never said the conference championship is the only factor. If it was there wouldn't be a committee. So yes they can put OSU in ahead of PSU. And it absolutely does not mean the conference championships don't matter. They are a very important factor among other factors. OSU very well could get in without winning it. The only reason this was an issue once is there were 5 teams with good arguments for going. But OSU had won their championship and Baylor/TCU had not.

OSU and those teams had identical records. OSU and PSU do not. Louisville/Clemson and PSU do not.

Winning the conference championship is very important but so is the number of losses. We don't know what weight is put on those things because they were comparing 2 1-loss teams before and considered which 1-loss team had won a conference championship.

I'm not saying PSU won't make it in but I find it unlikely no Big Ten team would make it in as long as there are no more big upsets.

PSU has head to head AS WELL. Theres the problem.

PSU has head to head and be the conference champion. PSU would have to get in too. If they don't, then I'll quit watching CFB. Because what else could PSU do?

Not lose 2 games...

The committee has never said the conference championship is the only factor. If it was there wouldn't be a committee. So yes they can put OSU in ahead of PSU. And it absolutely does not mean the conference championships don't matter. They are a very important factor among other factors. OSU very well could get in without winning it. The only reason this was an issue once is there were 5 teams with good arguments for going. But OSU had won their championship and Baylor/TCU had not.

OSU and those teams had identical records. OSU and PSU do not. Louisville/Clemson and PSU do not.

Winning the conference championship is very important but so is the number of losses. We don't know what weight is put on those things because they were comparing 2 1-loss teams before and considered which 1-loss team had won a conference championship.

I'm not saying PSU won't make it in but I find it unlikely no Big Ten team would make it in as long as there are no more big upsets.

PSU has head to head AS WELL. Theres the problem.

PSU has head to head and be the conference champion. PSU would have to get in too. If they don't, then I'll quit watching CFB. Because what else could PSU do?

Not lose 2 games...

Likewise for OSU: they could have not lost the H2H against Penn State.

Pepperidge farm remembers 2001

2001 ring a bell. We lucked out and got in to the BCS championship without even playing in the Big 12 conference championship. 1999 could be argued the other way. Needless to say we have been on both sides of the coin, and have been on the receiving end of some very helpful chips falling our way.

I don't think 2001 is hypocritical, since most Husker fans I know were at best sheepish when Nebraska backed into the NC game after the Colorado drubbing. I think we all knew Nebraska was lucky that year, except we really weren't, since we had just been set up for back to back drubbings that people would point to for years.

So no Husker fan would support the Conference Championship bypass. It just revives Nebraska as the bad example.

• Fire 1

Basically if everyone loses, {Ohio St, Michigan} more than likely the chaos will then begin. Big 12 with OU/WVA winner being deeply involved at that point. Early season losses will carry more weight than late season losses. Washington having a Pac 12 title game still in play helps them.........so many scenarios, so many teams.........?

I actually think that if Ohio ST or Michigan win the Big 10 title they are in the playoffs. Right now I would say that Alabama, L-Ville, are in. Fill the other spots with whomever...............actually fill the 3 spots with whom ever because no one is beating BAMA.

8 team playoff would eliminate so much of this. This year is a rare year in which no one clearly wants to play against BAMA. Not a BAAMMAA fan or SEC, but know a winning horse when I see one and that horse isn't losing to anyone in the Top 25 based on what I have seen this year.

• Fire 1