Where is the Broken Chair???

Mavric

The reddit account, if true, is less damning of a story than knapp made it out to be who won't divulge information he is privy to.

The reddit account says exactly the information I have. I really hate "insider guy" and I know that's what I'm doing here, but I can't say more than I've already said.

And I do not know where the chair is, but if I did, I'd secure it & keep it for the fans.

While the story may be that both Athletic Departments just "don't like" the chair, think of what deeper motive they may have to get rid of it.... and replace it with something else.

haha yeah i hear ya, but better to not burn a source.

I was hoping the athletic department would turn the page on poor decision making, these last couple weeks have been nothing but controversial decisions. Playing on Friday nights, as much as I don't mind for my personal reasons but it's bad for the state, and now this. They're tripping over themselves again.

Any trophy manufactured for the Minny/Neb rivalry is going to be rejected by the fans, at least initially. Hope someone builds another trophy and somehow the two fanbases can continue the tradition

"We are not facilitating pictures with the trophy."

Not a good look for Nebraska. At all.

This can potentially turn into some bad PR for Nebraska and Minnesota.

If anything, just bypass the universities and have the fraternities recreate and trade, and screw the ADs.

This line from Keith Mann is particularly troublesome:

No idea on the whereabouts of the chair since it isn't an official trophy game. I don't think either school is interested in promoting it if we can avoid that.

We don't need the schools to promote it. What we need is the chair itself.

What is troubling is, the schools are apparently taking it upon themselves to claim it isn't an "official" trophy now, when Nebraska was promoting it to such an extent last year that they allowed fans to get their picture taken with it at the Fan Experience before the game last year.

What changed between 2015, when there was a photo op with the chair, to now when the schools are completely shutting it down?

Adam Furley of 93.7 The Ticket in Lincoln talked to Minnesota and got this response:

Nebraska and Minnesota will no longer be playing for a rivalry trophy. That means the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy is officially gone. I spoke with both athletic departments and sources say there never was a trophy to begin with.

“It was just a social media thing. There never was a trophy to begin with,” University of Minnesota official said.

Nebraska doesn’t want to deal with a certain coach from the past around their program. That was the main reason of getting rid of the trophy.

I'm not sure if the last line is Furley's opinion or something he's heard. I'll let you know when he clarifies that.

So fine, the two school Athletic Departments don't want to acknowledge the trophy. But that doesn't mean they get to throw it away.

Things like this is why little by little, day by day, I'm losing interest in college football as well (along the lines of how I feel about hte NFL. I am a Chiefs fan, but i dont glue my self to the television on sundays. I put my earbuds in.) Due mainly to being busy, I found myself (mowing business on side of full time job and coaching youth sports) mowing during 3 different Nebraska games this year. There's just something happening with college football now as well. It's become such big business and big money that the fun of it is just deteriorating. I took wife and kids to the Minnesota game. it's amazing that I was just meh at the whole thing. maybe I'm getting old and grumpy. I dont know. But the purity of the game is just vanishing at a rapid pace. And then watching some fabulous state championship games the last couple days, it makes even more clear.

• Fire 1

Things like this is why little by little, day by day, I'm losing interest in college football as well (along the lines of how I feel about hte NFL. I am a Chiefs fan, but i dont glue my self to the television on sundays. I put my earbuds in.) Due mainly to being busy, I found myself (mowing business on side of full time job and coaching youth sports) mowing during 3 different Nebraska games this year. There's just something happening with college football now as well. It's become such big business and big money that the fun of it is just deteriorating. I took wife and kids to the Minnesota game. it's amazing that I was just meh at the whole thing. maybe I'm getting old and grumpy. I dont know. But the purity of the game is just vanishing at a rapid pace. And then watching some fabulous state championship games the last couple days, it makes even more clear.

College football is going the way of the NFL. Sterile, awash in corporate money, less silly fun and pomp and pageantry, all color-by-numbers and boredom.

• Fire 1

Adam Furley of 93.7 The Ticket in Lincoln talked to Minnesota and got this response:

Nebraska and Minnesota will no longer be playing for a rivalry trophy. That means the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy is officially gone. I spoke with both athletic departments and sources say there never was a trophy to begin with.

“It was just a social media thing. There never was a trophy to begin with,” University of Minnesota official said.

Nebraska doesn’t want to deal with a certain coach from the past around their program. That was the main reason of getting rid of the trophy.

I'm not sure if the last line is Furley's opinion or something he's heard. I'll let you know when he clarifies that.

It was Adam's opinion, but one that is being supported by Nebraska's continued silence.

https://twitter.com/adam_furley/status/801472185365921796