Any chance we see Darlington?

lo country

No where in here did I say Darlington was my Golden Child. But let's compare here.

Fyfe / walk on

Darlington / scholarship since day one. Unfortunately he will never see the field other then place holder or spring game. That's obvious since he switched to receiver and well let's say for the sake of saying he just isn't as good as Riemers. Really? Doubt it.

My thing here is Fyfe is Fyfe. He is here to be a walk on or back up some where way down the depth chart. He ain't here to be our championship contending QB.

Ask Ole Miss how pulling the red shirt off their highly touted freshman Qb with 3 games left has worked out for them? Won a big game and lost a bad game. It is what it is.

With all due respect, I really have no idea what point(s) you're trying to get across here.

Of course not.

Say Darlington starts against Iowa. Plays incredibly well. We win. Shows he's a true dual threat. Accurate and can run. What does that do to next years QB race? Is it still Lee and POB? Does Langs re-evaluate his scheme going into next year.

Not saying Darlington plays Fri or not. I just know when they took the field Sat after the first TD, he looked like he was in beast mode to score and bring the hurt. Not hold for a PAT. Doesn't mean much, but he passes the eyeball test.

They've seen Darlington in practice.

But, I think we can all agree that there are "gamers" out there that don't practice well, but turn beast mode on gameday. Not saying he's that guy, just saying..........

No where in here did I say Darlington was my Golden Child. But let's compare here.

Fyfe / walk on

Darlington / scholarship since day one. Unfortunately he will never see the field other then place holder or spring game. That's obvious since he switched to receiver and well let's say for the sake of saying he just isn't as good as Riemers. Really? Doubt it.

My thing here is Fyfe is Fyfe. He is here to be a walk on or back up some where way down the depth chart. He ain't here to be our championship contending QB.

Ask Ole Miss how pulling the red shirt off their highly touted freshman Qb with 3 games left has worked out for them? Won a big game and lost a bad game. It is what it is.

With all due respect, I really have no idea what point(s) you're trying to get across here.

Of course not.

You're literally trying to make a point based on one player being a scholarship player and one coming in as a walk on.

I'm not advocating for this but after watching the press conference yesterday and some thought it sounds like they're putting a package together for Darlington just in case. If it's halfway through the game and the offense is stalled out, can't move, why not put him in and use some of the package you installed for him? Even if they don't use it, it was good gamesmanship to announce it's something you're putting together, one more thing for them to prepare for.

• Fire 1

I'm not advocating for this but after watching the press conference yesterday and some thought it sounds like they're putting a package together for Darlington just in case. If it's halfway through the game and the offense is stalled out, can't move, why not put him in and use some of the package you installed for him? Even if they don't use it, it was good gamesmanship to announce it's something you're putting together, one more thing for them to prepare for.

It goes back to the same argument most have had on this board. Is an injured starter really better than a healthy back up? Im not sure Darlington was really ever a back up QB, but it's been said about Martinez, the OL, now Fyfe and TA etc..... It just seems hard a qb could go with a broken wrist. I know its not his throwing hand, but still seems like it would be rough. Does it effect grip strength, ability (or confidence) to push off a defender or stiff arm?

I like the idea of putting it out there that he is being prepared to go. Give the DC another thing to try and figure out. Throw in some wildcat and it might help even more.

It goes back to the same argument most have had on this board. Is an injured starter really better than a healthy back up? Im not sure Darlington was really ever a back up QB, but it's been said about Martinez, the OL, now Fyfe and TA etc..... It just seems hard a qb could go with a broken wrist. I know its not his throwing hand, but still seems like it would be rough. Does it effect grip strength, ability (or confidence) to push off a defender or stiff arm?

I like the idea of putting it out there that he is being prepared to go. Give the DC another thing to try and figure out. Throw in some wildcat and it might help even more.

I agree, he got a pin in his frickin' wrist for crying out loud. I'm concerned about him first of all but then things like taking the snap/grip/release/throwing motion come to mind.

One thing I didn't realize is Darlington is only a redshirt sophomore. I had it in my head he was a senior for some reason. I had to look it up.

I would like to see him do something besides hold pats and fgs before he leaves here. Not that that's stuffs not important. I was really big on Frankie London (he reminded me of another rather short option qb from Louisana...) and that's what he ended up being most known for doing.

Say Darlington starts against Iowa. Plays incredibly well. We win. Shows he's a true dual threat. Accurate and can run. What does that do to next years QB race? Is it still Lee and POB? Does Langs re-evaluate his scheme going into next year.

Not saying Darlington plays Fri or not. I just know when they took the field Sat after the first TD, he looked like he was in beast mode to score and bring the hurt. Not hold for a PAT. Doesn't mean much, but he passes the eyeball test.

They've seen Darlington in practice.

But, I think we can all agree that there are "gamers" out there that don't practice well, but turn beast mode on gameday. Not saying he's that guy, just saying..........

I don't think many are like that. However I do agree some are. But they've seen him in dozens of practices. 1 game isn't going to change their minds. At least, not a game against Iowa.

Anyway, I would love it for Darlington if he had a great game (given he's our QB Friday).

I don't know how good Darlington or POB are, but I don't like the idea of a QB with a brace on his off hand. The risk of a fumble is too high. I prefer the best healthy QB available. I also do not care about the red shirt. How many next great QBs have we had that never saw the field? We need a win now. Put the best player on the field.

• Fire 1

I think it was last year in Baylors bowl game there quarterback was hurt . So they ran the wildcat the whole game. I wonder if we could do something similar?

Baylor ran out of QB's before the Texas game last year (last game of the regular season). They ran a version of the Wildcat all game long and nearly won the thing. I think they had a QB that was healthy enough to play in the bowl game.

Here is the blurb about Darlington's HS career from his bio. The concussion issue (at least we were led to believe under the previous coaching regime) is one of the reasons he has not seen the field other than as a holder. If memory serves, Pelini honored the scholarship offer in spite of the concussion concerns. Who knows, we might be pleasantly surprised as we were with Fyfe's performance against the Turtles.

A preseason All-Florida selection in 2013, Darlington’s senior season at Apopka High was cut short after just one game because of injury.

Darlington was a two-year starting quarterback for one of the dominant prep programs in Florida. Playing for his father, Rick, the younger Darlington used his strong arm and great speed to lead Apopka to a 13-2 record in 2012, and the Class 8A state title. Darlington passed for 1,725 yards and 19 touchdowns, while also rushing for 708 yards and 10 touchdowns. In the state title game against Weston Cypress Bay, Darlington passed for 254 yards while rushing for 130 yards and three touchdowns. Darlington was named a Class 8A second-team all-state selection. As a sophomore, Darlington led Apopka to a 6-5 record.

Darlington was ranked among the top 15 dual-threat quarterbacks by 24/7 Sports. Darlington also had offers from Arizona, Boston College, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech and West Virginia among others, but only visited Nebraska.

Here is the blurb about Darlington's HS career from his bio. The concussion issue (at least we were led to believe under the previous coaching regime) is one of the reasons he has not seen the field other than as a holder. If memory serves, Pelini honored the scholarship offer in spite of the concussion concerns. Who knows, we might be pleasantly surprised as we were with Fyfe's performance against the Turtles.

A preseason All-Florida selection in 2013, Darlington’s senior season at Apopka High was cut short after just one game because of injury.

Darlington was a two-year starting quarterback for one of the dominant prep programs in Florida. Playing for his father, Rick, the younger Darlington used his strong arm and great speed to lead Apopka to a 13-2 record in 2012, and the Class 8A state title. Darlington passed for 1,725 yards and 19 touchdowns, while also rushing for 708 yards and 10 touchdowns. In the state title game against Weston Cypress Bay, Darlington passed for 254 yards while rushing for 130 yards and three touchdowns. Darlington was named a Class 8A second-team all-state selection. As a sophomore, Darlington led Apopka to a 6-5 record.

Darlington was ranked among the top 15 dual-threat quarterbacks by 24/7 Sports. Darlington also had offers from Arizona, Boston College, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech and West Virginia among others, but only visited Nebraska.

Yes this was my understanding as well.

Has he seen the field at all aside from holding? At either WR or QB?

Re: Darlington

While I would like to see what he has the ability to do, I wouldn't want it to come at the expense of him taking another hard hit causing him another concussion. His health needs to be at the top of the list, rather than secondary to getting him on the field for said purpose.

After thinking about things last night I'm not sure all that much changes for Iowa. Our mystery at QB doesn't really change much.

If Darlington does play, show him a lot of different fronts/blitzes/bluffs since he hasn't played qb since the spring game a few years back, prepare for the zone read just like you would if tommy was playing.

Armstrong, pretty much the same but for different reasons, load the box to see if Langs abandons the run, force Tommy to beat you with his arm esp. in the pocket, get those arms up, bring the heat early to see just what he has in his legs, you're going to find out one way or another, perhaps he burns you but you gotta find out what he has in that hamstring early. Otherwise sit back and wait for Tommy to make a mistake (Tommy's my boy but I have my Iowa D-cord hat on right now)

Same deal for Fyfe, sure he can drop back 20 yards to get rid of a pass against Maryland but I'm guessing that won't fly against Iowa's D.

In all three cases I know it'll sound ruthless but bring the heat, get some shots in on an already thin position, no different then picking on a back-up CB that just came in the game.

Now for us be ready with those rb screens, "long hand offs" and draws. Don't abandon the run game and don't run laterally. I would use a power guy like Ozigbo since you're prob. gonna be outnumbered in the box and hit right up the middle, don't pull guards and crap like that to much penetration.

Just my 2 cents.