Road tar covers side of truck/no road signs

Just looking for some opinions on this...

I was going to pick up my kids from my parent's house and I came up on the back road that had fresh oil, but no road sign. I waited and a guy wearing a yellow vest popped out from a tree (weird), and waved the car in front of me and myself through. We hugged the side of the road that had no tar. A 1/4 of a mile down the road here comes 2 cars down the road from the opposite direction. So we had to get off their side, and onto the fresh tar (somewhat abruptly, because it was on a hill), this happened three different times. We get to the end of the fresh tar, and there is no sign, and nobody on that side directing traffic. My 13' Silverado is covered in tar on one side. The responsibility to make this right is on them, isn't it?

Wow, somebody dropped the ball on that one. Yeah, I'd say whoever was supposed to flag the job should be responsible. Was it a private contractor doing the work, or state employees? (You probably have no way of knowing.) If you discover it was a private contractor maybe you should have a look at their contract to do the job (FOIA?). I'm sure having flagmen was a requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

It's their fault, but they probably have a way to wiggle out of it. Like with potholes you have to prove negligence on their part caused the damage.

Is it a lot of tar? If it's small specs all over, you can use a clay bar and get it all off there pretty cheap, with a lot of elbow grease!