2017 Offense

If POB's high school ability and success were to proportionately transpire into his college career, he will be exponentially more successful as a pure qb than Armstrong ever wouldve. Just watch his film. he not merely a "statue". Jeebus kriest. enough of the statue crap already. It's not Sage Rosefells standing back there. These guys are athletes now. Then can move around plenty enough.

Fwiw, a poster on another message board who apparently watches practice said that Fyfe is by far more athletic than either O'Brien or Lee. Said Lee is a "statue" iirc.

If POB's high school ability and success were to proportionately transpire into his college career, he will be exponentially more successful as a pure qb than Armstrong ever wouldve. Just watch his film. he not merely a "statue". Jeebus kriest. enough of the statue crap already. It's not Sage Rosefells standing back there. These guys are athletes now. Then can move around plenty enough.

Fwiw, a poster on another message board who apparently watches practice said that Fyfe is by far more athletic than either O'Brien or Lee. Said Lee is a "statue" iirc.

heresay. and that's fine.

It's also a result of our judgment of whether a qb is "athletic" being clouded by the fact that are last two qb's, spanning 7 seasons have basically been running backs/safeties/athletes playing the position. So we know have this assumption that anything short of essentially a running back playing qb is a statue and cant move or run at all.

Im not gonna argue that Fyfe is more athletic that Obrien at this point. Because Fyfe isnt exactly unathletic in his own right. is he a Martinez athletic? No. Is he Armstrong athletic? No. Is he athletic enough? Well, yeah. We saw it in instances on saturday. His athleticism is enough to be serviceable when needed. The qb's of our near future are not going to be read optioning and running a zone run system.

Again. folks at practice that claim, but i trust my own eyes. this isnt merely a statue.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2536518/patrick-obrien

I would compare Obrien athletically to a Joe Ganz. I think he could be sneaky athletic

Now. what ive seen of Tanner Lee, he's the one that I would agree is probably closest to a "statue" that we have. There's not much going on in terms of true running threat there. But it doesnt mean he wont have the feet to move around enough within the pocket and have the qualities needed to deliver the ball on time.

• Fire 1

If Riley and Langs are as great at coaching up QBs as we have been told, I don't know why they can't take a really good running QB and help that QB become really good at passing.

Unless of course, we are saying that coaching doesn't really matter when it comes to passing the ball and that it is all just natural...along with reading defenses.

http://footballscoop.com/news/mike-leach-quarterback-isnt-accurate-shouldnt-recruit/

I'll take Mike Leach's opinion on the topic as pretty informed.

“The thing that’s amazing to me, is that after all of high school he’s not accurate, and now all of a sudden you’re special and you’re going to make him accurate? And then after college he’s not accurate, and you’re special and you’re going to make him accurate? I just haven’t seen that happen. I’ve seen guys improve, but they don’t all of a sudden become accurate.”

heresay. and that's fine.

It's also a result of our judgment of whether a qb is "athletic" being clouded by the fact that are last two qb's, spanning 7 seasons have basically been running backs/safeties/athletes playing the position. So we know have this assumption that anything short of essentially a running back playing qb is a statue and cant move or run at all.

Im not gonna argue that Fyfe is more athletic that Obrien at this point. Because Fyfe isnt exactly unathletic in his own right. is he a Martinez athletic? No. Is he Armstrong athletic? No. Is he athletic enough? Well, yeah. We saw it in instances on saturday. His athleticism is enough to be serviceable when needed. The qb's of our near future are not going to be read optioning and running a zone run system.

Again. folks at practice that claim, but i trust my own eyes. this isnt merely a statue.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2536518/patrick-obrien

I would compare Obrien athletically to a Joe Ganz. I think he could be sneaky athletic

Now. what ive seen of Tanner Lee, he's the one that I would agree is probably closest to a "statue" that we have. There's not much going on in terms of true running threat there. But it doesnt mean he wont have the feet to move around enough within the pocket and have the qualities needed to deliver the ball on time.

I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do in our offense with the WRs we have here and coming in.

Count hitting the nail on the head in this discussion. Give me a QB that hit the intermediate throws with consistency and also have the deep ball capability. Yes having a dual threat would be nice, but players like Cam Newton and Deshaun Watson don't come around very often.

I'm expecting a better offense next year. Especially if the offensive line stays healthy.

• Fire 1

Give me a QB that hit the intermediate throws with consistency and also have the deep ball capability. Yes having a dual threat would be nice, but players like Cam Newton and Deshaun Watson don't come around very often.

Agreed there also. That's been on my mind probably for the last three seasons. We never even really sniffed those high profile dual threats who had really, really good arms. And it has been a pretty big limiting factor for us not being able to break through to playing consistent top 10 football.

And even though we did occasionally score a decent number of points in *some* of the blowouts we had over the last 8 seasons, the Wisconsin game this season was probably the last straw for me. When you play against these B1G teams with great run defenses, you wind up in a lot of 2nd and 3rd & long situations. When you have a QB that's erratic in reading routes and hitting the intermediate throws, it's really hard to win those games.

So like, for the 10th time - One scheme isn't necessarily better than the other, even factoring in the element of our cold weather here. But I'm excited about Riley's system because of his recruiting trajectory more than the system itself. Hand the ball off to Devine, Wilbon, and Bryant next year. Shoot for a 60-40 run/pass split if the game allows, that's great. But wait and see if having a QB who can reliably hit the intermediate routes changes our offense. It might not, but I'm excited to see it play out.

Agree. I think Riley and/or Langsdorf decided to use the quick screens to stretch out defenses that were stacking the box. They would keep working the edges as long as the defenses let them, and both Minnesota and Maryland were letting them. That opened up the rushing lanes a bit.

Not to derail the thread, but people seem to often refer to teams stacking the box against us. I really don't see that happening too much. To me, it seems to be kind of an unintentional excuse for when we aren't running the ball very well.

We often run the ball straight ahead into a crowd so perhaps it seems like the box is stacked. Or - more likely - it's just a function of the offense we run. We run a lot of 12 personnel along with a decent amount of 21 and even 22. When you almost always have 5 lineman, a QB, a RB, a TE and often another TE/HB, that's at least 9 guys in a tight offensive formation. It's only prudent for the defense to have at least 7 if not 8 guys in the box against formations like that.

In my opinion, that's not "stacking the box." That's simply matching the offenses' personnel. Maybe that's splitting hairs but I didn't really don't think Maryland was selling out to stop the run, which would be my definition of "stacking the box." They were playing a pretty base defense.

The fact that the offensive formations we run bring a lot of defenders into the box is one of the detriments of using more TE/FB formations.

In all honesty, I'd never heard the term "RPO" until a couple weeks ago, and I've since heard it dozens of times, including Jon Gruden last night on MNF.

The Run Pass Option -- as determined by defensive alignment before the snap -- seems to be a thing right now. Not especially tied to any single offense, but a way to spread the D. Same alignment lets you disguise run or pass. Exploit whatever the defense shows. I'm not crazy about the wide screen game as it often looks like a pick six waiting to happen, but it's definitely a useful tool. And you're probably right -- it's not necessarily about stacking the box, just keeping the defense off-balance.