Ryker Fyfe Broken Wrist - Armstrong still out...

Did anyone know that last years Nebraska QB Tommy Armstrong did something unprecedented in College football history?

In back to back games, he was the MVP for Iowa in their game against the Huskers, and the MVP in their Bowl game too.

BTW,

How is that Big 10 conference working out for you Bugeaters?

Remember how all of you said back in the 90's how you'd kick any team in the B1G's a$$?

Playing in the big 10 doesn't change our mind about that. Quite the opposite. This year's team is one of the least talented Nebraska teams i have seen in my over 30 years of being a fan(the overall talent level is not THAT bad but the lack top end talent is staggering). I think Riley is a fine coach..... But he's not TO.

Did anyone know that last years Nebraska QB Tommy Armstrong did something unprecedented in College football history?

In back to back games, he was the MVP for Iowa in their game against the Huskers, and the MVP in their Bowl game too.

BTW,

Remember how all of you said back in the 90's how you'd kick any team in the B1G's a$$?

Hmmm....last year the best team in Hawkeye history barely beat the worst Husker team in the last 50 years.

Congrats.

• Fire 4

Here's the pattern though: 2 guys accounted for 8 years of football, awesome.

It was actually 7 years, fwiw.

Answer me this, would we feel good about the QB position for 2017 and forward if this staff weren't here?

I'd feel better. There is a chance that Bush and Stanton would still be here. In 2017, we will only have 3 QBs on scholarship if Darlington stays at WR. If Gebbia signs he likely red shirts, so 2 active full time QBs.

BTW,

Hmmm....last year the best team in Hawkeye history barely beat the worst Husker team in the last 50 years.

Congrats.

Nice mic drop!

I love how Iowa fans say that we live in the 90'south, yet they are the ones that always bring up that period.

Tommy would be half of the 8yrs, Stanton fizzled under 2 staffs and transfered and Darlington was never going to be a starter regardless where he went because of injuries and we knew that before he graduated HS.

If you wanna measure it solely off of rankings before those players ever take the field then, sure.....our QB recruiting was just ACES!

Lots of assumptions and false conclusions in here.

Stanton didn't fizzle under two staffs. He played as a RSFr then was left off the fall camp roster by the new staff. Don't know if how it would have turned out but I don't think those two are equivalent.

And you're demonstrably false about Darlington because he is - in fact - playing. So assuming he would never play anywhere is false.

Not to mention that LoMS is exactly right that there is a definite distinction between recruiting, development and on-field success. You can be good at any mixture of those but failing in one area doesn't mean you were bad at all of them.

To be honest, If it weren't for Foltz's accident, I don't think Darlington would have played. He volunteered for the spot so he could find a way onto the field.

I don't think he would have played either.

But they have him out there and he has run the swinging gate play with the potential to get hit. That is what has actually happened. So it's not the fear of him getting hit that has kept him from playing.

I'm a Stanton fan and wish he would have stayed, but he didn't pan out regardless how you look at it. If Bo were still here he probably still transfers.

Like I said, you're making an assumption.

All we heard for the last 3 years was how Darlington was basically one wrong shove from being comatose. That has changed this season, don't get me wrong I'm thrilled for him, but look back at the discussions.

We have heard that, yes. That doesn't make it correct. People are still saying that even though he is playing and getting hit. So it seems like the things people are saying are untrue.

LoMS can be right about that. Here's the pattern though: 2 guys accounted for 8 years of football, awesome. Those same 2 guys had no depth because the guys recruited with them or after end up transferring, fizzling and/or switching positions. Recruiting doesn't end when they sign. QB's need to be kept on campus for their first couple years and motivated enough to BE backup.

Yes, recruiting actually does end when they sign. Part of recruiting success can be judged by how well those players end up working out but there are a lot of other factors in play other than just how well they recruited. There are at least three different aspects, which I noted earlier.

Answer me this, would we feel good about the QB position for 2017 and forward if this staff weren't here?

That's pretty impossible to know because we don't know who else would have been recruited in the past two years. I think it's entirely possible that both Stanton and Bush would still be here so we could have more depth. Stanton showed he could complete mid-60% of his passes with a pretty good TD:INT ratio last year. Seems to kind of have had a case of the yips - no idea how that works but the same thing happened to the Wisconsin QB a couple years ago. Bush was raw but had skills. Just depended on how they continued to develop.

BTW,

You little Iowa fans are funny.........you use the term Bugeaters like it's a derogatory term to us. We actually don't mind it, quit living in the past dude, the Iowa team this year isn't that same team. Of course I don't expect you to really act any different because you can't act like you've been there because you never have been there. You have no experience to pull from..................McCaffrey just scored again, enjoy your runner up Rose Bowl ring. I know I know, you beat #3 Michigan so that automatically means you're going to beat us by 70 points. :wacko:

• Fire 1

BTW,

You hate to see this kind of posting from such an intelligent and respected fan base. A real shame.
  • Fire 2

I'm a Stanton fan and wish he would have stayed, but he didn't pan out regardless how you look at it. If Bo were still here he probably still transfers.

All we heard for the last 3 years was how Darlington was basically one wrong shove from being comatose. That has changed this season, don't get me wrong I'm thrilled for him, but look back at the discussions.

We have heard that, yes. That doesn't make it correct. People are still saying that even though he is playing and getting hit. So it seems like the things people are saying are untrue.

LoMS can be right about that. Here's the pattern though: 2 guys accounted for 8 years of football, awesome. Those same 2 guys had no depth because the guys recruited with them or after end up transferring, fizzling and/or switching positions. Recruiting doesn't end when they sign. QB's need to be kept on campus for their first couple years and motivated enough to BE backup.

Yes, recruiting actually does end when they sign. Part of recruiting success can be judged by how well those players end up working out but there are a lot of other factors in play other than just how well they recruited. There are at least three different aspects, which I noted earlier.

That's pretty impossible to know because we don't know who else would have been recruited in the past two years. I think it's entirely possible that both Stanton and Bush would still be here so we could have more depth. Stanton showed he could complete mid-60% of his passes with a pretty good TD:INT ratio last year. Seems to kind of have had a case of the yips - no idea how that works but the same thing happened to the Wisconsin QB a couple years ago. Bush was raw but had skills. Just depended on how they continued to develop.

So overall, you're going to go on the record as saying our QB recruiting over the last 8 years has been good enough to compete and provide depth? I guess I just don't see it.

And if recruiting ended when they signed we wouldn't have transfers. It's hard to keep a QB on the team when they realize they aren't the starter for the forseeable future.

Maybe somebody on here is an 'expert' as NU is apparently the concussion study school these days. If my memory serves me correct, I recall reading a couple years back or so that concussions were pretty much like the three strike rule in that the third one and you are done playing forever. This jibe with what anyone else has heard or read or been told by someone with apparent expertise?

I believe Darlington has had two fairly severe ones or maybe the better way to say it is that some people's brains are more susceptible to concussion type injury than others? I don't know but this is my biggest concern with Zack. Frankly, I always had a very good feeling that he would become a darn good QB for us but for the concussion issue. I do recall reading the stories of how Bo had offered him and he had verbally committed and stood by that commit despite overtures from other programs. We stuck with him and honored the scholarship with the understanding and belief (Bo and staff and the docs) that he would not likely ever truly be 100% cleared to play 'full' contact football. In other words, perhaps at some point after a couple years, with no signs of problems, etc, he could perhaps be involved in very limited type role with minimal chances of a lots of head to ground and or other impact plays. This is my recollection of Zach's situation. I thought that is why they moved him to WR and then to holder. He could participate in football but with the idea of very controlled and limited action which involved hard hits, etc. ?

So overall, you're going to go on the record as saying our QB recruiting over the last 8 years has been good enough to compete and provide depth? I guess I just don't see it.

And if recruiting ended when they signed we wouldn't have transfers. It's hard to keep a QB on the team when they realize they aren't the starter for the forseeable future.

Recruiting to a certain extent is a crap shoot. If you have a couple players that don't workout for whatever reason, that may not necessarily mean your recruiting was bad. It might have been an indication of either changes in coaching staff/scheme or the player just not being happy once here.

Those situations are not an indication of bad recruiting necessarily.

• Fire 1

Tommy would be half of the 8yrs, Stanton fizzled under 2 staffs and transfered and Darlington was never going to be a starter regardless where he went because of injuries and we knew that before he graduated HS.

If you wanna measure it solely off of rankings before those players ever take the field then, sure.....our QB recruiting was just ACES!

Stanton didn't fizzle under two staffs. He played as a RSFr then was left off the fall camp roster by the new staff. Don't know if how it would have turned out but I don't think those two are equivalent.

And you're demonstrably false about Darlington because he is - in fact - playing. So assuming he would never play anywhere is false.

Not to mention that LoMS is exactly right that there is a definite distinction between recruiting, development and on-field success. You can be good at any mixture of those but failing in one area doesn't mean you were bad at all of them.

Has Darlington appeared in a game this year?

According to this, he has not played prior to this year.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209389182

2015 (Redshirt Freshman)

Darlington added depth at quarterback, but did not appear in a game.

2014 (Redshirt)

Darlington joined the Nebraska program in January, then redshirted and worked on the scout team offense in the fall.

84 - I'm no expert and hadn't heard about the three strike rule, but that would be smart. I did sit in on a UNL PhD candidate's dissertation about concussions. The study included people with no concussions and people with concussions varying years previously. Even the people who had concussions 10 years ago had brain scans/waves/patterns (I don't actually remember what was measured) that looked different than those who hadn't ever had a concussion.

Has Darlington appeared in a game this year?

According to this, he has not played prior to this year.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209389182

2015 (Redshirt Freshman)

Darlington added depth at quarterback, but did not appear in a game.

2014 (Redshirt)

Darlington joined the Nebraska program in January, then redshirted and worked on the scout team offense in the fall.

Darlington had not. Stanton had.