Trump and the Press

I wish more Republicans who knew better would stand up and say enough is enough. They know the seeds the president plants when he attacks the media like he does. Unfortunately, they're a craven bunch addicted to power, so they'll mostly bite their tongues & accuse us of being hysterical.

This is the inevitable conclusion of his sustained assault on the media.

Edited by dudeguyy
  • Plus1 3

• 2 months later...

Wow....I didn't fully understand where Trump's fight with Amazon came from.  This guy is playing with fire.  What a corrupt vindictive piece of s#!t.

Trump draws blood in feud with Amazon, Washington Post

President Donald Trump’s threats to raise postal rates on the tech giant Amazon — which many consider his proxy war against the Jeff Bezos-owned Washington Post — cost the company over $35 billion in stock value on Monday, suggesting Trump’s war with the media has the potential to hit media companies in their pocket books. 

The company's stock dropped 75.35 points — or 6.21 percent — as part of a larger sell-off on Wall Street after Trump accused Amazon of exploiting the U.S. Postal Service. "Only fools, or worse, are saying that our money losing Post Office makes money with Amazon," the president tweeted, adding that "this will be changed."

I feel like the president should be able to be sued for doing this type of s#!t. Especially if it's based on lies.

There's a good article here. USPS makes $ on parcels but loses $ on first class mail. They have to compete for Amazon's business with FedEx and UPS and Amazon doesn't actually need to do business with USPS. Also, having that many packages likely keeps costs down for other packages for the rest of us. E.g. if I want to mail a box to Idaho, there will already be a bunch of boxes meandering their way in the same general direction because Amazon is shipping crap everywhere all the time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2017/12/29/16830128/amazon-trump-twitter-postal-service-feud

Edited by Moiraine
42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The part about this I do agree with is that internet purchases should have to pay sales tax. That is an unfair advantage to local stores and those small town municipalities need the tax base. 

The rest of this is total BS. 

I think they do now right? Or maybe it's up to the retailer unless the state forces it. It's fairly new. I remember them starting awhile back. But they shouldn't have had that advantage for 20 years. Just copy/pasting from wikipedia:

Many U.S. states have passed online shopping sales tax laws designed to compel Amazon.com and other e-commerce retailers to collect state and local sales taxes from its customers. Amazon.com originally collected sales tax only from five states as of 2011, but as of April 2017 collects sales taxes from customers in all 45 states that have a state sales tax and in Washington, D.C.[1] At 8.45%, Alabama has the highest tax rate charged by Amazon.[2] Amazon does not collect sales taxes from Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon, since those states do not have state sales taxes. Additionally, approximately half of all Amazon.com purchases are sold on the Amazon Marketplace through 3rd-party vendors, and these purchases remain free of tax except for in Washington state, where these purchases (starting in 2018) are now taxed.[3] [4]

Edited by Moiraine

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think they do now right? Or maybe it's up to the retailer unless the state forces it. It's fairly new. I remember them starting awhile back. But they shouldn't have had that advantage for 20 years. Just copy/pasting from wikipedia:

Many U.S. states have passed online shopping sales tax laws designed to compel Amazon.com and other e-commerce retailers to collect state and local sales taxes from its customers. Amazon.com originally collected sales tax only from five states as of 2011, but as of April 2017 collects sales taxes from customers in all 45 states that have a state sales tax and in Washington, D.C.[1] At 8.45%, Alabama has the highest tax rate charged by Amazon.[2] Amazon does not collect sales taxes from Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon, since those states do not have state sales taxes. Additionally, approximately half of all Amazon.com purchases are sold on the Amazon Marketplace through 3rd-party vendors, and these purchases remain free of tax except for in Washington state, where these purchases (starting in 2018) are now taxed.[3] [4]

Hmmm.....i'm not sure exactly on this.  I went on Amazon and acted like I was buying something, and it was going to charge me sales tax.

However, I just heard an interview on TV from a guy that made it sound like Amazon charges tax on items it purchases and resells.  However, it does not collect taxes on sales where another company sells something through Amazon.

If the item you purchase from Amazon is fulfilled by Amazon they will collect tax. If the item you purchase through Amazon gets fulfilled by one of the thousands of online resellers that use Amazon as their storefront, you probably aren't paying taxes at the time of purchase. I'm not clear why there is a difference in the way it's handled but I'm guessing fairly complicated.

We the consumers are supposed to report the non-taxed sales at the end of the year but nobody does it. It's not like this is an Amazon problem either. You don't pay sales tax at the time of purchase if you buy through Ebay. Right now most of the best electronics deals available are done through Ebay because you don't have to pay tax on your $2000 OLED tv. Anyone can do it too as long as the sale is made across state lines though we're supposed to be reporting these annually.

It's not just Bezos that should be upset about this. Shareholders should also be livid about what is going on with the Trump/Amazon feud. He's destroying value in that company when their share prices go down because of his tweets. It's lunacy to watch the President attack a private business.

42 minutes ago, Whistlebritches said:

If the item you purchase from Amazon is fulfilled by Amazon they will collect tax. If the item you purchase through Amazon gets fulfilled by one of the thousands of online resellers that use Amazon as their storefront, you probably aren't paying taxes at the time of purchase. I'm not clear why there is a difference in the way it's handled but I'm guessing fairly complicated.

It's because if it's another company just using Amazon to facilitate the sale, it's not Amazon's responsibility to collect and pay the tax.  It's the selling company and the government would need to go after all those 1,000s of individual companies.  

One simple regulation that could be put in is that a sale is not possible to be processed through Amazon (no matter who the seller is) without charging sales tax.  It actually would be a  simple fix.  Amazon could have in it's software all the various sales taxes across the country and charge appropriately.  

44 minutes ago, Whistlebritches said:

It's not just Bezos that should be upset about this. Shareholders should also be livid about what is going on with the Trump/Amazon feud. He's destroying value in that company when their share prices go down because of his tweets. It's lunacy to watch the President attack a private business.

Tell me about it.  I was one of the idiots that bought Amazon right before Bozo went after Bezos.