Trump and the Press

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The mass hysteria of Trump Derangement Syndrome continues.

The press attacks the guy everyday. All they talk about is how horrible, stupid, racist, miserable, etc. It’s been wall to wall negative coverage of him for years. So how do you think he’s going to react?

Trump is a lot of things. He’s goofy, thin-skinned, thoughtless, kind of a buffoon, and a loose cannon. I could go on. But my point is that he’s not evil. He’s not looking to ban the press. He’s not a unique threat to civilization. You’re giving him way too much credit by imagining him to be far more substantial than he is. And you’re making yourselves look foolish by losing your minds over everything he says or does.

He literally brought all this on himself! He was as close as a bumbling creepy old bafoon can be to a media sweetheart during the campaign. He got all the press coverage, and not very negative at first, then he went on a tear criticizing the media. The last straw was election night when he declared the media in his own words as the enemy. Honestly, who is really to blame here? The man had pretty fair cover (and arguably still does) up unil his victory.

13 minutes ago, ZRod said:

He literally brought all this on himself! He was as close as a bumbling creepy old bafoon can be to a media sweetheart during the campaign. He got all the press coverage, and not very negative at first, then he went on a tear criticizing the media. The last straw was election night when he declared the media in his own words as the enemy. Honestly, who is really to blame here? The man had pretty fair cover (and arguably still does) up unil his victory.

The media loved him right up to the point that it looked like he could secure the Republican nomination. And so long as they loved him, he loved them. He was an amusing novelty and good for ratings. But when it looked like he might actually have a chance to win, they abruptly turned on him. The coverage became overwhelmingly negative. Now he was crazy, deranged, dangerous, racist, etc. and when they started hitting him, he hit back. 

So when the press complains about how he treats them, they have only themselves to blame.

5 minutes ago, commando said:

maga hats suck the brains out of those unfortunate souls who wear them.

I’ve never had one. But I’ll tell you what...the relentless media assault on Trump and the massive amount of Trump Derangement Syndrome on the left are helping to prop the guy up. You’re turning off the very swing voters you need to win with all this hysteria. I put his odds of reelection at better than even at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I’ve never had one. But I’ll tell you what...the relentless media assault on Trump and the massive amount of Trump Derangement Syndrome on the left are helping to prop the guy up. You’re turning off the very swing voters you need to win with all this hysteria. I put his odds of reelection at better than even at this point. 

me saying that was like you talking about tds

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The media loved him right up to the point that it looked like he could secure the Republican nomination. And so long as they loved him, he loved them. He was an amusing novelty and good for ratings. But when it looked like he might actually have a chance to win, they abruptly turned on him. The coverage became overwhelmingly negative. Now he was crazy, deranged, dangerous, racist, etc. and when they started hitting him, he hit back. 

So when the press complains about how he treats them, they have only themselves to blame.

I don't see Hillary bitch about the media on a daily basis, before during or after her campaign like Donald does. All he had to do was not antagonize them and it would be fine, he would be treated like Bush was or better. He literally declared them an enemy, completely unfounded, and dangerous to our country's institutions. They still gave him fair coverage after that, but he continued to put him on blast. Obama never caved like this and he got it even worse from Fox News during his term.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

If he can't handle the scrutiny that comes with the job he should step down immediately.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

I don't see Hillary bitch about the media on a daily basis, before during or after her campaign like Donald does. All he had to do was not antagonize them and it would be fine, he would be treated like Bush was or better. He literally declared them an enemy, completely unfounded, and dangerous to our country's institutions. They still gave him fair coverage after that, but he continued to put him on blast. Obama never caved like this and he got it even worse from Fox News during his term.

I think you’re confusing cause and effect. He was fine (or at least better) with the press until they started hammering him 24/7. Then he started hammering back.

Regardless, I just don’t think we’re going to agree on this one.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I think you’re confusing cause and effect. He was fine (or at least better) with the press until they started hammering him 24/7. Then he started hammering back.

Isn't its the presses job to hold the Presidents feet to the fire not just Trump? It comes with the position and if you aren't acting presidential the press will call you out for it because that is their job to do so. Seems to me you want to live in Russia. Just turn on Fox and forget there are other news stations and youll get the type of coverage you want.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Probably because one of us is making up revisionist history, and can't acknowledge, for whatever reason, that the president of the United States States is completely wrong in what he is doing.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Is it assault or is it reporting on his actions, which for the most part are sigificantly out of the norm for a leader of the free world.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we'd give him less time on air, but it's a fine line between reporting facts and what's happening and giving him too much time and attention.  He's doing multiple things daily, any one of which would have created a firestorm with any other president.  If his actions aren't reported will the crowd that is already chanting "Fake News" believe that things are escalating as they are?

I'm not sure what the answer is, but not reporting his actions and those of his administration isn't it.  I think we should stop sending cameras to the stupid rally's and the Huckersanders daily events.

10 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Isn't its the presses job to hold the Presidents feet to the fire not just Trump? It comes with the position and if you aren't acting presidential the press will call you out for it because that is their job to do so. Seems to me you want to live in Russia. Just turn on Fox and forget there are other news stations and youll get the type of coverage you want.

Do you think the press covered Obama and other prior Presidents the way they have covered Trump?

I have watched late night news/entertainment shows since Carson was still doing the Late Show...(I started working a swing shift in 1989 and got home at 11:00).

Hosts like Carson, Letterman, Leno always roasted the sitting President when they did something especially outlandish or newsworthy. I followed Letterman to CBS, and did not watch Leno or O'Brien nearly as much. I started switching back and forth to Kimmel in the early 2000's because Jimmy is really funny, and Guillermo is a perfect sidekick (plus I thought The Man Show was hilarious). Still, some good/some bad when it came to Presidential politics.

When Letterman retired, I was excited to see that Stephen Colbert was tapped to take over...not the caricature he portrayed on the Daily Show, but the real guy, who I believed was intelligent and funny. 

I still watch Colbert sometimes, and Kimmel occasionally, but I cannot believe that BOTH of them are 100% anti-Trump at all times. And I mean demeaning, libelous stuff for the most part. And Colbert does it every, single, night, for his entire monologue. It gets old, and I am not a fan of Trump. I can see how it would inflame his ardent fans, or the man himself. So, there goes two of the late nights shows, out the window, should you lean right. Well then, lets try the old Daily Show, Trevor Noah is more like a regular news guy...unlike Jon Stewart...oops more of the same. Samantha Bee? I've seen the headlines...I don't get HBO so I can't watch John Oliver, who I think is funny and smart, much like Colbert used to be. Bill Maher? almost unhinged in his vitriol.

Later on in the evening, it gets a little better. James Corden still takes his swipes, but is not 24/7. Seth Meyers? Only seen it once or twice, and I think that Carson Daily has exactly .2% market share. I love Saturday Night Live, and have been an ardent follower since the 70's. The Alec Baldwin/Melissa McCarthy/Kate McKinnon lead-ins are comedy gold...seriously funny. But even Lorne Micheals knows you cannot do 100% all the time negative Trump (although, the skits with Don Jr and Eric are literally laugh out loud funny). And SNL's treatment feels more like a Lampoon, and less like a coup attempt.

I do not watch Fox News, because of the same scenario only in reverse. Not everything Obama and or Hillary could EVER be 100% negative, as those folks would lead you to believe. However, that is the ONLY news outlet that outwardly looks to lean right. And I cannot think of one single late night talk show that ever treated President Obama with such distain. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Has there been coverage by the mainstream media that isn't factual reporting.  We can argue that it may be hysterical, that is a matter of opinion.  But has any mainstream reporting, outside of the CNN stories that were RETRACTED, been false?  Or are they reporting facts that President Trump isn't okay with everyone knowing?

I understand and agree that the news is generally more "anti" than "pro" Trump, but can you show where they are lying like Trump says?

• Plus1 1