Trump and the Press

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Do you think the press covered Obama and other prior Presidents the way they have covered Trump?

I think if Obama was doing the things Trump was doing conservative America would have been marching Pennsylvania Ave. He already was scrutinized, sometimes unfairly (tan suit) but acting in this way would have had everyone in America against him. If Obama was doing what Trump does I have no doubt he would have the worst approval ever by far and probably wouldn't have even lasted this long in the office as congress would have impeached. Just my opinion.

• Plus1 2

22 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I have watched late night news/entertainment shows since Carson was still doing the Late Show...(I started working a swing shift in 1989 and got home at 11:00).

Hosts like Carson, Letterman, Leno always roasted the sitting President when they did something especially outlandish or newsworthy. I followed Letterman to CBS, and did not watch Leno or O'Brien nearly as much. I started switching back and forth to Kimmel in the early 2000's because Jimmy is really funny, and Guillermo is a perfect sidekick (plus I thought The Man Show was hilarious). Still, some good/some bad when it came to Presidential politics.

When Letterman retired, I was excited to see that Stephen Colbert was tapped to take over...not the caricature he portrayed on the Daily Show, but the real guy, who I believed was intelligent and funny. 

I still watch Colbert sometimes, and Kimmel occasionally, but I cannot believe that BOTH of them are 100% anti-Trump at all times. And I mean demeaning, libelous stuff for the most part. And Colbert does it every, single, night, for his entire monologue. It gets old, and I am not a fan of Trump. I can see how it would inflame his ardent fans, or the man himself. So, there goes two of the late nights shows, out the window, should you lean right. Well then, lets try the old Daily Show, Trevor Noah is more like a regular news guy...unlike Jon Stewart...oops more of the same. Samantha Bee? I've seen the headlines...I don't get HBO so I can't watch John Oliver, who I think is funny and smart, much like Colbert used to be. Bill Maher? almost unhinged in his vitriol.

Later on in the evening, it gets a little better. James Corden still takes his swipes, but is not 24/7. Seth Meyers? Only seen it once or twice, and I think that Carson Daily has exactly .2% market share. I love Saturday Night Live, and have been an ardent follower since the 70's. The Alec Baldwin/Melissa McCarthy/Kate McKinnon lead-ins are comedy gold...seriously funny. But even Lorne Micheals knows you cannot do 100% all the time negative Trump (although, the skits with Don Jr and Eric are literally laugh out loud funny). And SNL's treatment feels more like a Lampoon, and less like a coup attempt.

I do not watch Fox News, because of the same scenario only in reverse. Not everything Obama and or Hillary could EVER be 100% negative, as those folks would lead you to believe. However, that is the ONLY news outlet that outwardly looks to lean right. And I cannot think of one single late night talk show that ever treated President Obama with such distain.

To the bolded - there are dozens of good reasons for that.

• Plus1 2

On 8/17/2018 at 9:51 AM, Ric Flair said:

Do you think the press covered Obama and other prior Presidents the way they have covered Trump?

Do you think Trump contributes to that?

if a bully walks on the play ground and yells at kids, calling them names and getting into fights, is he justified in his complaints if other kids don’t play nice with him?

On 8/16/2018 at 8:04 PM, Ric Flair said:

The media loved him right up to the point that it looked like he could secure the Republican nomination. And so long as they loved him, he loved them. He was an amusing novelty and good for ratings. But when it looked like he might actually have a chance to win, they abruptly turned on him. The coverage became overwhelmingly negative. Now he was crazy, deranged, dangerous, racist, etc. and when they started hitting him, he hit back. 

So when the press complains about how he treats them, they have only themselves to blame.

Does Trump bear ANY responsibility here for his actions?  He says and does the most outrageous stuff, and you're acting like we should just say that what he says doesn't matter.

He is the POTUS and as such his words carry an immense amount of weight.  He's so ridiculously thoughtless and combine that with his amply demonstrated racism, it makes our reactions actually mild by comparison.

Trump needs to understand that if he wants to be taken seriously, if he wants the "attacks" to stop, then he needs to grow the F up and start acting Presidential--not the corrupt, selfish, whiny, petulant child. 

• Plus1 1
On 8/17/2018 at 10:51 AM, Ric Flair said:

Does a school principal treat a good student who gets good grades the same way they treat a bully who cusses out teachers and smokes cigarettes in the bathroom and tags the building with graffiti?

• Plus1 2
On 8/17/2018 at 9:51 AM, DevoHusker said:

I have watched late night news/entertainment shows since Carson was still doing the Late Show...(I started working a swing shift in 1989 and got home at 11:00).

Hosts like Carson, Letterman, Leno always roasted the sitting President when they did something especially outlandish or newsworthy. I followed Letterman to CBS, and did not watch Leno or O'Brien nearly as much. I started switching back and forth to Kimmel in the early 2000's because Jimmy is really funny, and Guillermo is a perfect sidekick (plus I thought The Man Show was hilarious). Still, some good/some bad when it came to Presidential politics.

When Letterman retired, I was excited to see that Stephen Colbert was tapped to take over...not the caricature he portrayed on the Daily Show, but the real guy, who I believed was intelligent and funny. 

I still watch Colbert sometimes, and Kimmel occasionally, but I cannot believe that BOTH of them are 100% anti-Trump at all times. And I mean demeaning, libelous stuff for the most part. And Colbert does it every, single, night, for his entire monologue. It gets old, and I am not a fan of Trump. I can see how it would inflame his ardent fans, or the man himself. So, there goes two of the late nights shows, out the window, should you lean right. Well then, lets try the old Daily Show, Trevor Noah is more like a regular news guy...unlike Jon Stewart...oops more of the same. Samantha Bee? I've seen the headlines...I don't get HBO so I can't watch John Oliver, who I think is funny and smart, much like Colbert used to be. Bill Maher? almost unhinged in his vitriol.

Later on in the evening, it gets a little better. James Corden still takes his swipes, but is not 24/7. Seth Meyers? Only seen it once or twice, and I think that Carson Daily has exactly .2% market share. I love Saturday Night Live, and have been an ardent follower since the 70's. The Alec Baldwin/Melissa McCarthy/Kate McKinnon lead-ins are comedy gold...seriously funny. But even Lorne Micheals knows you cannot do 100% all the time negative Trump (although, the skits with Don Jr and Eric are literally laugh out loud funny). And SNL's treatment feels more like a Lampoon, and less like a coup attempt.

I do not watch Fox News, because of the same scenario only in reverse. Not everything Obama and or Hillary could EVER be 100% negative, as those folks would lead you to believe. However, that is the ONLY news outlet that outwardly looks to lean right. And I cannot think of one single late night talk show that ever treated President Obama with such distain. 

Great post. The wall to wall 24/7/365 Trump hate is insane. Then you log on here and it’s more of the same. 

Roughly 50% of the country supports the guy, but you’d never know it.

15 hours ago, Landlord said:

Does a school principal treat a good student who gets good grades the same way they treat a bully who cusses out teachers and smokes cigarettes in the bathroom and tags the building with graffiti?

So which is Obama and which is Trump in your hypothetical? If I recall correctly, Obama smoked weed, still smokes cigarettes, sat thru Reverend Wright’s sermons filled with anti-American bile, and had a general disdain for the American people. 

16 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Does Trump bear ANY responsibility here for his actions?  He says and does the most outrageous stuff, and you're acting like we should just say that what he says doesn't matter.

He is the POTUS and as such his words carry an immense amount of weight.  He's so ridiculously thoughtless and combine that with his amply demonstrated racism, it makes our reactions actually mild by comparison.

Trump needs to understand that if he wants to be taken seriously, if he wants the "attacks" to stop, then he needs to grow the F up and start acting Presidential--not the corrupt, selfish, whiny, petulant child. 

You’re confusing cause and effect. Much of what he says, especially to and about the press, is the direct result of their nonstop and ridiculously over the top criticism of everything he says and does. 

And if he’s so clearly such a horrible racist, why do so many black voters now approve of him? 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/08/16/trump-approval-rating-african-americans-rasmussen-poll/1013212002/

On 8/17/2018 at 12:01 PM, Clifford Franklin said:

Do you think Trump comports himself the way Obama or other prior presidents have?

No. Each of them comported himself differently. But I’m far less concerned about Trump calling out the press or attacking someone on Twitter than about Obama turning his IRS, EPA, or Justice Department goons loose on his political enemies.

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

So which is Obama and which is Trump in your hypothetical? If I recall correctly, Obama smoked weed, still smokes cigarettes, sat thru Reverend Wright’s sermons filled with anti-American bile, and had a general disdain for the American people. 

You're needlessly taking an analogy and applying literal interpretation to it, but the point is that Trump is very dramatically different than past modern Presidents in decorum, habits, communication and strategy. 

The press treating him the 'same' as other Presidents is a misnomer, because he's hardly like other Presidents. 

Now, if the question you were trying to ask but failing to do so successfully was whether the press is holding Trump to a similar level of accountability as past Presidents, and if by 'the press' you meant an aggregate of the ENTIRETY of major news channels/publications, then yes, they absolutely do. 

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Landlord said:

You're needlessly taking an analogy and applying literal interpretation to it, but the point is that Trump is very dramatically different than past modern Presidents in decorum, habits, communication and strategy. 

The press treating him the 'same' as other Presidents is a misnomer, because he's hardly like other Presidents. 

Now, if the question you were trying to ask but failing to do so successfully was whether the press is holding Trump to a similar level of accountability as past Presidents, and if by 'the press' you meant an aggregate of the ENTIRETY of major news channels/publications, then yes, they absolutely do. 

That’s complete BS. Obama’s mainstream media coverage was 95% positive. Trump’s is 95% negative. 

They lose their minds when Trump posts a negative tweet. They weren’t concerned at all that Obama weaponized the federal government and sent it after hus opponents. 

The ridiculous hypocrisy and shameful double standard in coverage is why the newsmedia is now openly loathed by so many Americans.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That’s complete BS. Obama’s mainstream media coverage was 95% positive. Trump’s is 95% negative. 

They lose their minds when Trump posts a negative tweet. They weren’t concerned at all that Obama weaponized the federal government and sent it after hus opponents. 

The ridiculous hypocrisy and shameful double standard in coverage is why the newsmedia is now openly loathed by so many Americans.

typical response of a trumper.  pick a letter and go with it 

a. but obama

b.  but hillary

c. those damn liberals

• Plus1 1