Trump and the Press

Oade, your notions about the gold standard are just plain wrong. Trying to stay on the gold standard is a large part of what lead to the Great Depression. Here's an article from a few years ago that explains it. And the main point:

Economics is often a contentious subject, but economists agree about the gold standard -- it is a barbarous relic that belongs in the dustbin of history. As University of Chicago professor Richard Thaler points out, exactly zero economists endorsed the idea in a recent poll. What makes it such an idea non grata? It prevents the central bank from fighting recessions by outsourcing monetary policy decisions to how much gold we have -- which, in turn, depends on our trade balance and on how much of the shiny rock we can dig up. When we peg the dollar to gold we have to raise interest rates when gold is scarce, regardless of the state of the economy. This policy inflexibility was the major cause of the Great Depression, as governments were forced to tighten policy at the worst possible moment. It's no coincidence that the sooner a country abandoned the gold standard, the sooner it began recovering.

Its also no coincidence that as soon as we went of the gold standard that we started to pile up national debt. Recovery by debt, good for the bankers....

You sure it wasn't increased spending on social welfare, increases military funding, lowered taxes, instability due to deregulation?

I was gonna ask something dumb about gold but then I googled it. I knew it was used for things and people wear it but I didn't know that it was still used for lots of modern things. It's used in cell phones and computer hardware. I feel enlightened.

Space tech as well, it's ised as a very thin foil. It's a better conductor than copper, but cheaper than platinum, and won't tarnish like silver. All of those being excellent conductors.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/john-mccain-trump-press-235177

I hate the press. I hate you especially," McCain told NBC's Chuck Todd, according to excerpts of the interview set to air Sunday. "But the fact is we need you. We need a free press. We must have it. It's vital. If you want to preserve – I'm very serious now – if you want to preserve democracy as we know it, you have to have a free and many times adversarial press. And without it, I am afraid that we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time. That's how dictators get started.”

“They get started by suppressing free press,” McCain said of dictators. “In other words, a consolidation of power when you look at history, the first thing that dictators do is shut down the press. And I'm not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator. I'm just saying we need to learn the lessons of history.”

• Fire 1

Because she made a dumb off-the-cuff remark. If you can find 10 of those, maybe we'll have something.

Sad fact is, we can find 100 comments like this by Trump & his people, but his supporters don't care about that. They just want the echoes they'll hear from this one statement for the next four years.

Because she made a dumb off-the-cuff remark. If you can find 10 of those, maybe we'll have something.

Sad fact is, we can find 100 comments like this by Trump & his people, but his supporters don't care about that. They just want the echoes they'll hear from this one statement for the next four years.

Eight years. ;)

• Fire 1

Eight years. ;)

It's sad that you think this is funny.

• Fire 3

I have a question about all this hullabaloo that Trump makes about CNN. Why is it CNN instead of MSNBC that clearly is the self proclaimed liberal mouth piece on cable network news?

I think that's exactly the reason why. CNN is viewed as more neutral, so he needs to push the perception of it to the left and make his cultists believe they're liars out to sabotage Trump so they will ignore anything they report.

MSNBC is already ignored by the right and by most independents.

• Fire 1

Eight years. ;)

It's sad that you think this is funny.

It's sad that there's nothing he could ever do to bring you on board. At this point I imagine you truly want it all to just f'n burn, all the way to the foundation, so it can rebuild from the ashes. I truly feel sorry for you.