Trump and the Press

My non-partisan opinion is that our Republican friends on the board feel ostracized from this section.

No offense intended but I find both parties to be incredibly irritating right now. Democrats sound whiny and Republicans sound like idiots.

fwiw...i am republican but i don't support the totalitarianism that this administration seeks to impose. and am certainly not supporting the lunatic that is in the white house right now. the R by my name doesn't mean blind loyalty to everyone else with an R by their name.......as it should be on both sides of the aisle. with the current administration if you don't blindly follow you are considered a traitor. that is not what i support and i am compelled to actively reject.

Some of the conservatives/Republicans on this board give me hope that the alt-right hasn't completely taken over. Thanks.

• Fire 3

My non-partisan opinion is that our Republican friends on the board feel ostracized from this section.

No offense intended but I find both parties to be incredibly irritating right now. Democrats sound whiny and Republicans sound like idiots.

fwiw...i am republican but i don't support the totalitarianism that this administration seeks to impose. and am certainly not supporting the lunatic that is in the white house right now. the R by my name doesn't mean blind loyalty to everyone else with an R by their name.......as it should be on both sides of the aisle. with the current administration if you don't blindly follow you are considered a traitor. that is not what i support and i am compelled to actively reject.

@commando, To echo what Red Denver said in response to another post, what you said above does give me some hope that the evil forces of white nationalism haven't completely taken over just yet.

I hope that many of the people (half at least) who voted for Trump are now beginning to realize what a terrible mistake they made.

• Fire 2

Good. I want the press to be "The Opposition Party."

I want the press to actually do their damn jobs. Every time Trump lies, which is when he opens his mouth, or posts something on Twitter, I want the press to call him out. Expose his lies.

When he lies with such frequency how can the press keep up? More than that, how can they make people care about the same story over and over? It seems to me that the press has taken a stand but it means nothing since those who oppose him already believe he is full of it and those who support him refuse to believe them (see Dewiz).

It's incredibly unnerving that he's doing this. We need the other 2 branches to protect the press or we aren't going to have free press anymore. People tend to trust the president they voted for, therefore lots of people believe in the lies he spews every day.

The document was distributed Monday evening, the same day President Trump told enlisted service-members at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida that attacks were happening "all over Europe" and that "it's gotten to a point where it's not even being reported."

"And in many cases, the very, very dishonest press doesn't want to report it. They have their reasons, and you understand that," Trump added.

Good. I want the press to be "The Opposition Party."

I want the press to actually do their damn jobs. Every time Trump lies, which is when he opens his mouth, or posts something on Twitter, I want the press to call him out. Expose his lies.

When he lies with such frequency how can the press keep up? More than that, how can they make people care about the same story over and over? It seems to me that the press has taken a stand but it means nothing since those who oppose him already believe he is full of it and those who support him refuse to believe them (see Dewiz).

I think it's challenging to keep pace and make people continue to care. Trump lying or making untrue, outlandish claims seems to be a part of who he is as a person. Speaking for myself, I feel I've become desensitized to it, which is incredibly dangerous.

Speaking to Chimichangas point, I think it's disingenuous to suggest the press hasn't been doing "their damn jobs." They have been, and in more cases than not, they've been doing their jobs pretty damn well. They've made a lot of mistakes and, like all of us, have room to improve. Unfortunately, the most powerful man in the country (and millions of his staunch supporters) have taken up the rallying cry that "the media" (which is a stupid generalization in the first place) are little more than lying degenerates.

For those of you who are interested, the following is (in my opinion) a significant and accurate portrayal of what it's like to work in "the media."

This may not influence or change minds, but it should at least offer you a perspective from the other side... the side which so simply and lackadaisically becomes the punching bag for disgruntled Americans.

When a child falls into a gorilla exhibit at a zoo, it’s the parenting experts. When a gorilla is killed in that exhibit, it’s the animal experts. Today, it’s the political/foreign policy/religion/immigration experts.

But there is one expert who is always out and about. It’s the media expert... and nine times out of 10, that person has never worked a day in the media industry. (That’s the funny thing about these self-proclaimed experts online. They don’t have any experience in their expertise.)
Before I disappoint everyone with the lack of agenda setting and scheming that really happens in newsrooms, let me address the term “the media” because, well, I don’t really know who that is.

You've got a tough job Enhance - certainly it's been unappreciated, and unrewarded for the most part for a very, very long time. I'm seeing glimmers of that turning around - I'd like to think we'll get back to the days of Cronkite and 60mins journalism. Thank goodness there are a few starting to take up the charge.