Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed - Again

cm husker

Building an offense around what will supposedly draw talent from California and Florida is wholly wrongheaded.

Yeah, if only we'd learned from Osborne's mistakes. He definitely should have stayed away from guys like Frazier, Phillips, Muhammad and Wiggins.

Should have stuck with local guys like Benning and Sims.

Building an offense around what will supposedly draw talent from California and Florida is wholly wrongheaded.

Yeah, if only we'd learned from Osborne's mistakes. He definitely should have stayed away from guys like Frazier, Phillips, Muhammad and Wiggins.

The funny thing about Jay Sims was that even though the roster said he graduated from Omaha Burke, he never set foot in that school (his exact words). Jay was in his early 20s as a freshman, and nobody really knows where he graduated high school.

• Fire 1

So your contention is that TO tried to shape his O to attract coastal talent?

Of course he didn't.

Of course he didn't.

Considering I said nothing of the sort, no, that wasn't my point.

• Fire 1

Of course he didn't.

Considering I said nothing of the sort, no, that wasn't my point.

Then you clearly didn't follow mine.

Guy, stop being thick around me. :)

TO didn't tailor his offense to attract coastal talent. But he certainly recruited the coasts. And rightfully so. But until '94, offense had "passed him by" at least per the "experts." He wasn't changing his O to fit what the pros and the 5 stars wanted.

To argue otherwise is revisionism.

TO didn't tailor his offense to attract coastal talent. But he certainly recruited the coasts. And rightfully so. But until '94, offense had "passed him by" at least per the "experts." He wasn't changing his O to fit what the pros and the 5 stars wanted.

And if you think Riley is "tailoring" his offense to land those players, you are wrong. Riley has ran the same offense for YEARS and has only changed it up the last couple with having a mobile QB. Once he has his type of players, he will be back to his offensive ways.

• Fire 2

And if you think Riley is "tailoring" his offense to land those players, you are wrong. Riley has ran the same offense for YEARS and has only changed it up the last couple with having a mobile QB. Once he has his type of players, he will be back to his offensive ways.

Except that Riley has already said he's actively recruiting dual-threat QBs going forward...so he *has* made changes and isn't going back to his 'offensive ways', per se.

If anything, I'd like to think that perhaps Riley will help Nebraska bring a more stable and productive passing game into town, all while our fans' passion for (and success with) running the ball and dual-threat QBs has rubbed off on Riley, which, in turn, has not been lost on Langsdorf (except when we have away games where the Team Manager with the squirt bottle doesn't travel).

While we'll see a pocket QB next season, that may not be the case in, say, 2018, 2019, and/or going forward.

Maybe the reason people are being "thick" is because the idea that Riley's plans for his offense have anything to do with attracting talent from a certain geographical location is stupid. He's not doing that anymore than TO did.

• Fire 6

Then what the hell point are you making CM? Cuz Riley/Langsdorf arent changing either. Theyre recruiting and being open about utilizing a system that they always have used. This is why we're all confused about your point, or lack of. Theyre not tailoring anything either. I'm sorry, but the podunk walk on 8 man football studs out in the panhandle that had umpteen catches for a bazillion yards isnt gonna carry us in their offense.

Except that Riley has already said he's actively recruiting dual-threat QBs going forward...so he *has* made changes and isn't going back to his 'offensive ways', per se.

If anything, I'd like to think that perhaps Riley will help Nebraska bring a more stable and productive passing game into town, all while our fans' passion for (and success with) running the ball and dual-threat QBs has rubbed off on Riley, which, in turn, has not been lost on Langsdorf (except when we have away games where the Team Manager with the squirt bottle doesn't travel).

While we'll see a pocket QB next season, that may not be the case in, say, 2018, 2019, and/or going forward.

We have offered 9 QBs for 2017, 6 pocket passers and 3 dual-threats. One of the dual threats is labeled as a DT on a couple sites and a PP on another. The only QB we have offered for 2018 is a pocket passer.

I don't think we need a true dual-threat QB at all. Just need a QB that is mobile enough to get out of trouble and scramble. O'Brien rushed for 600+ yards his senior year and Gebbia has rushed for just 250 but has 7 rushing TDs.

I'm guessing that Riley wants a guy in the mold of Baker Mayfield, can complete 60%+ passes while being elusive enough to get yards if needed.

ermahgahd. a tall white qb. WHAT WILL WE DO WITHOUT THE OPTION!!?

I dont know. My first guess would be probably hit 9 of 10 of these 5 yard crossing routes that are running free for potentional 20 yard gains umpteen times a game. That would be a start. jesus.

what if we just had the QB run the 5 yards down the field and hand it off to the guy running the crossing route, wouldn't that be more safe than putting the ball in the air?

• Fire 1