Trump Promises Megathread: Kept or Broken

What????

Listening to some people, the economy exploded some day back in November.

Well the Dow did. But I didn't see much of a benefit or a pay raise.

Exactly. It's got to translate into results for average Americans or they should rightfully be pissed. If he's going to trash our environment and hand the keys over to Wall Street and gigantic corporation CEOs, we ought to at least get our share of the pie.

For instance, I found an interesting study once on how economic indicators translated salary wise for different professions. For me, it said GDP has almost zero bearing on healthcare careers. So I'd really prefer to not sell out everything else to boost GDP.

Donny had his website scrubbed today ... missing are many if not all of the campaign promises he made (ie. muslim ban). Methinks that he's got someone telling him he's got to tidy up, there's a big court case (or 10) coming.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/08/trump-website-takes-down-muslim-ban-statement-after-reporter-grills-spicer-in-briefing.html

Well...this was brought up the other day in the press briefing. A reporter asked Spicer "If this isn't a Muslim Ban, then why does the President's own website state that he will ban all Muslims from entering the US?". I'm guessing Spicer walked right into the Oval Office and told him to clean up the website.

What????

Listening to some people, the economy exploded some day back in November.

Well the Dow did. But I didn't see much of a benefit or a pay raise.

Exactly. It's got to translate into results for average Americans or they should rightfully be pissed. If he's going to trash our environment and hand the keys over to Wall Street and gigantic corporation CEOs, we ought to at least get our share of the pie.

For instance, I found an interesting study once on how economic indicators translated salary wise for different professions. For me, it said GDP has almost zero bearing on healthcare careers. So I'd really prefer to not sell out everything else to boost GDP.

I'd really like to see that study if you had the time to find it. I'm fascinated by how the macro impacts the micro when it comes to the economy. It's not as simple as supply and demand, and trickle down.

Now some of Trump's staunchest supporters are having their doubts. When Ann Coulter is almost ready to say that the Never Trumpers maybe right,

you know Trump is in deep do-do. Matt Drudge, is also 'nervous'. The Drudge report was a non-stop campaign ad for Trump during the primaries and GE.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/14/ann-coulter-is-worried-the-trump-haters-were-right/

So there’s no wall, and Obama’s amnesties look like they are here to stay. Do you still trust Trump?

Uhhhh. I’m not very happy with what has happened so far. I guess we have to try to push him to keep his promises. But this isn’t North Korea, and if he doesn’t keep his promises I’m out. This is why we voted for him. I think everyone who voted for him knew his personality was grotesque, it was the issues.

I hate to say it, but I agree with every line in my friend Frank Bruni’s op-ed in The New York Times today. Where is the great negotiation? Where is the bull in the china shop we wanted? That budget the Republicans pushed through was like a practical joke… Did we win anything? And this is the great negotiator?

This Op Ed was referred to by Coulter in the quote above. I copied it in full because it is spot on and insightful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/opinion/sunday/donald-trump-a-la-mode.html?_r=0

14bruni-master768.jpg
bruni-circular-blogSmallThumb-v5.jpg
Frank Bruni

You heard it here first: James Comey was fired because during his White House dinner with Donald Trump, when dessert arrived, he noticed that the president had two scoops of ice cream to his one, and dared to remark on it.

Don’t believe me? O.K., I did make it up. But it’s as credible a claim as most of what came from White House officials, going all the way up to Vice President Mike Pence, in the hours after Trump canned Comey last week.

Pretty much every reason they gave was utterly dismantled, if not by F.B.I. agents, who rejected the contention that they had turned on Comey, then by enterprising reporters or by the president himself in his interview with NBC’s Lester Holt. Seldom has an administration operated in such a transparently dishonest, determinedly self-destructive and spectacularly inept fashion. That ineptness may be the scariest takeaway of all.

I began with ice cream because it really is central to understanding this. Bear with me. Two days after Comey’s ouster, Time magazine published a cover story that revolved around a recent evening that a few of its journalists spent with Trump at the White House.

Dinner was served. Trump got a different, more colorful salad dressing than theirs. His chicken had extra sauce on the side. With his pie came a double helping of vanilla. With theirs, a single. By the magazine’s account, there was no explanation. None was needed. He’s the president and you’re not.

One scoop of imperiousness. Another of insecurity. Top generously with impulsiveness. That’s Trump’s sweet spot, the real driver of his decisions. Comey’s dismissal was the definitive confirmation. It satisfied the president’s emotional appetite, at least at that moment. It undermined all else.

And it put the lie to the stubborn hope that there’s a core of shrewdness beneath his antics and a method to his madness. Mostly, there’s a raging, pouting child.

For all of the negative news coverage that he receives, there has also been a strand of analysis that insisted on, or at least sought, a silver lining to the golden-haired huckster. It reflected all the rationalizations that I heard from Americans who had voted for Trump or were willing themselves to see some upside to his election:

The tweets weren’t merely splenetic. They were strategic, providing distractions when he needed them most. He was amoral, sure, but that was part and parcel of his craftiness, which could do the country some good. He was a liar, yes, but the best deals and the bent truth often went hand in hand — and he was a deal maker above all. He flouted norms, but that might be precisely the purgative our politics needed.

Commentators strained to spot and savor any flicker of something more dignified. Remember the accolades for his address to a joint session of Congress? All he’d done was the commander in chief equivalent of chewing with his mouth closed.

But no sugarcoating can survive the developments of the past few weeks. Congress approved a budget agreement at stark odds with Trump’s wish list, revealing that he’s no ace negotiator after all. It could have been titled “The Artlessness of the Deal.”

The House passed health care legislation that blatantly contradicted his incessant promises of terrific, inexpensive coverage and betrayed the hard-luck Americans whose champion he purported to be. The Senate made clear that it was going nowhere anyway.

He’s not coming to anyone’s rescue, just giving the Trump-Kushner clan a loftier status and more leverage for enriching themselves. He’s not draining the swamp. He’s globalizing it.

And to top it all off: the Comey fiasco, which will be remembered as a case study in misjudging a situation, mismanaging the easily foreseeable fallout and achieving the exact opposite of one’s aims. If this is private-sector savvy, give me a bloated government bureaucracy any day.

Trump reportedly thought that Democrats, so sour on Comey themselves, wouldn’t balk at his exile. No way. Trump’s aides tried to use a hastily composed memo by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein as cover. Big oops.

With no media plan in place, they tripped over their own inventions and exaggerations. And Trump bumbled into a horrendously timed photograph of an all-smiles meeting of him in the Oval Office with the Russian ambassador and foreign minister.

Please show me the shrewdness in any of that, or in a tweet on Friday that ratcheted up his battle with Comey — who, mind you, has seen any and all evidence of Russian meddling in the election and left behind many loyalists

in the bureau. For a president paranoid about the leakiness of his ship, this was like making a beeline for the nearest iceberg. Please show me the strategic wisdom in threatening to cancel White House press briefings because Sean Spicer and Sarah Huckabee Sanders can’t be expected to achieve “perfect accuracy” at the rostrum. None of us are asking for “perfect accuracy.” Mere plausibility would wow us at this point. And the farther away the media is kept, the more we’re convinced that something is being hidden from us, and the harder we dig.

Trump wanted to move past all the insinuations of collusion between his campaign and Moscow, but the attention to that has only intensified, as have the accusations of a cover-up. We already knew that the president had no shame. Now we also know that he has no game.

He handed Democrats yet another cudgel. He tightened the bind that Republicans are in (though their sustained indulgence of him remains a thing of absolute wonder). He lengthened the odds against getting much in the way of meaningful legislation done.

He looked defensive, not decisive. He shrank, just when it didn’t seem possible for him to get any smaller.

Write A Comment

He’s 70, but if we’re talking about deeds and not digits, psychological maturity instead of epidermal sag, he’s our youngest president ever, with the frailest ego. Aides feed him his information in easily digested bites: pictures, charts. They whisper sweet grandiosities in his ear. They devise strategies to shield him from upset and work around his ever-shifting moods. They cross their fingers and they tremble.

So do I. And when I picture him at that Time magazine dinner, with a portion bigger than anybody else’s, I don’t see him on a throne. I see him in a highchair, keeping his audience guessing about just how much ice cream he’ll fling against the wall.

Have to say, this quote from the Daily Caller interview made me roll my eyes and have a frustrated chuckle at the same time.

What does your friend Matt Drudge think of all of this? Recently on Michael Savage’s radio show he seemed nervous about the Trump administration.

I’ll let him speak for himself, but I think all of the Trump true believers are petrified.

The really scary part is that these "true believers" are petrified for the exact opposite reasons they should be.

• Fire 1

And, a priceless quote from the op-ed.

So do I. And when I picture him at that Time magazine dinner, with a portion bigger than anybody else’s, I don’t see him on a throne. I see him in a highchair, keeping his audience guessing about just how much ice cream he’ll fling against the wall.

• Fire 3

Have to say, this quote from the Daily Caller interview made me roll my eyes and have a frustrated chuckle at the same time.

What does your friend Matt Drudge think of all of this? Recently on Michael Savage’s radio show he seemed nervous about the Trump administration.

I’ll let him speak for himself, but I think all of the Trump true believers are petrified.

The really scary part is that these "true believers" are petrified for the exact opposite reasons they should be.

Yes, -- there may be a few of his policies that I wanted him to implement with Congress but I'm not petrified because those haven't gone through or because of his back peddling - that is minor in comparison to his lack of judgment, lack of self control, the growing reality that he is trying to hide something, the ineptness of his leadership and his white house staff, etc and etc. His back peddling and not keeping campaign promises is only a symptom of deeper character issues that he is displaying daily.

• Fire 1

And, a priceless quote from the op-ed.

So do I. And when I picture him at that Time magazine dinner, with a portion bigger than anybody elses, I dont see him on a throne. I see him in a highchair, keeping his audience guessing about just how much ice cream hell fling against the wall.

Why couldn't more people see this? It was clear as day before we voted.