Trump Promises Megathread: Kept or Broken

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like quite a few Republican congress sheep are on board with funding Trump's fence, which he promises Mexico will pay us back for.

Yeah... https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/conservatives-ready-to-support-1-trillion-hole-in-the-budget/2017/01/05/76d4bf34-d391-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?utm_term=.2ef4915f800e

The collective shrug from other conservatives is the latest evidence that Paul’s protest would be a familiar, lonely one. His floor speech attacking the budget measure for making no attempts at deficit reduction — it projects a $9 trillion increase in the debt by 2026 — was preempted by statements from Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), pledging to vote for the resolution anyway.

And this last line:

“We want to keep in mind the overall picture, both the deficit and how tired people are Obamacare,” said Rep. Randy Weber (R-Tex.). “I do think there’s a danger of the Republicans actually owning this.”

Another article to share, and I guess this is the most appropriate thread:

NYT: The Age of Fake Policy

(Byline: "Trivial interventions won’t do much to change a $19 trillion economy, despite the public relations hype." This is an adequate summary.)

Keeping a few hundred jobs in America for a couple of years is a pretty cheap form of campaign contribution; pretending that the administration persuaded you to add some jobs you actually would have added anyway is even cheaper.

Krugman is on point here, and I share in his pessimism. There is both a chilling incentive for businesses to partake in this deception, and an almost perverse national fixation on this bit of political theater masquerading as critical evaluation. I see no reason to suppose the media will not continue to reflect and amplify (by and large) the public's surfeit of attention on the superficial.

Saw this today in the WP (I subscribed after Farenholdts investigations - gotta support solid journalism!) and thought it might be an excellent resource for you Dude.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-promise-tracker/?tid=a_inl

This is an excellent resource. Thanks NM!

I'm glad someone is doing one of these like the Obameter Politifact had going. Slightly different but a great tool nonetheless. I wish we could pin this. I probably don't even need to keep updating this with WaPo on it.

I probably will keep updating just for kicks.