Husker Coordinators

Mavric

Are you big on firing Banker because of the Ohio State game?

No. His defensive scheme last year was an abomination. This year's is significantly better but still nothing great. We've benefited from playing a lot of terrible offenses. The only two good offenses we've played this year we had trouble stopping (Oregon, without their best offensive player for most of the game) or literally couldn't stop at all (Ohio St.).

So I'm not a Banker fan. Although the reason I bring that up - and why it's in this thread - is because I think Bray is going to start getting calls and we may have to find a way to get him a promotion to keep him. Probably not this year but it's not going to be long. And I think losing him would be bad - worth shipping Banker out to keep him.

• Fire 3

Things that need to happen:

1 - Fire Banker

2 - Fire Reed

3 - Promote Bray to DC

4 - Hire Thompson as full-time assistant

5 - Hire another young, high-energy assistant who can recruit like crazy

6 - ???

7 - Profit

Ideal situation right there.
  • Fire 2

More often than not I generally agree with Mavric but I am more impressed with our defense this year than he apparently. I would suggest we ought to let these last few games play out and see how well the defense performs. We might well play a challenging offense in the bowl game, for example.

Despite losing three very good D linemen, the defense made good improvement. We cut down on big plays given up, we made big strides in DB pass coverage and more INTs, better tackling overall and fewer gross errors. All these are just my observations without diggning into the stats of course. I know many of you like to make that numerical comparisons and they are valuable but to me the 'eye test' and 'feel' tests are also important. I feel much better about our defense this year and although I remain concerned that we may give up some yards (we give too many yards and first downs early in opponent's drives particularly), we tighten up nicely once they get past our 50. With our full complement of 'starters' healthy and playing, I would give us a 50/50 chance in overtime against any team in the country. To me that is a giant step in the right direction.

Are we there yet? No, we lost those three DTs and that hurt. Had we not, I think we'd have a top ten (or better) defense nationally. As it is, we have a top twenty I believe strongly.

For me, the biggest disappointment this year is the offense. I felt good we'd be 10 points and 100 yards a game better than last year. I think Tommy played that way but we missed our FB and Cross/Ozigbo production last year. Newby played better but we ran better last year. Offensive line play is the real downer. I blame injuries and lack of depth for that. Playcalling is better this year and game management and so on much improved. Penalty issues are better but still not 'great'.

Special teams are POOR/BAD/AWFUL save for Drew Brown (a 5 star player I'd say). Punting would have been great with Foltz and that really hurt us this year at critical times. Nobody's fault there but we better find a great punter for next year unless Caleb L is charting much better in practice than games. He can improve certainly but???

The critical areas next year will be replacing a bunch of seniors who are the heart of this team really. Not sure replacing Banker is as important as recruiting great players and getting them out there. Forget the redshirts next year. Play our best young athletes and let the learn. Wins will be hard to come by no matter who we play next year as graduation will really hurt. IMO.

I feel Riley is similar to TO in that his staff will remain loyal to him. I think these guys have all made a pledge to give this 6-8 years and see what they can do at a place like NU. When Riley retires then you will see who stays and who decides to go solo.

If that is the case, and Bray is that loyal, then maybe he could be in line to replace Riley when he (hopefully) retires after a successful run here.

Staying on as a positions coach forever isn't loyalty, it's madness. If Bray gets big opportunities, he's got to take them! Hopefully he'll be in line for a promotion of sorts here, but if not, maybe he'll come back one day after getting experience elsewhere as a coordinator and so on.