Bruce Read. Fired

Wow, reassigned I figured for sure but fired, wow.

Riley is so clearly synced up to not only all the aspects of his team but dare I say...the fan base too? I know that coaches like to pretend that they never read the paper, watch TV, see a tweet, read a message board...but clearly they are regular people and clearly they do. I wonder if Riley realized that not only was this move in the best interest of the team but was also a smart PR move (not punt returning)

DPR as WR is a different topic. Even with the crapshow we've seen on the PR team he was #3... in the conference I think? Can't remember.

I think so, but it's sort of related. DPE had some good returns here and there, but he didn't demonstrate that lightning dynamism with the ball in his hands from any position. He looked like he was about to become an all-conference sensation during his freshman season, but that potential has petered out some. It happens to plenty of freshmen. I think DPE will regret not redshirting to get his feet back under him this year. It's not automatic. DPE has skills, but he needs to be pushed for the PR job, too, or else he will only end his career as a pretty decent return man.

It wasn't all the punt return team, either, or I don't think that's the lone reason Read was fired. I mostly defended Read, but some of those miscues got ridiculous.

I think a move like this serves notice to other coaches who have been with Riley forever. They won't be able to stick around just because they're trusted. They have to earn it, every year. Spotlight will be on Banker which will be no problem, if he can handle it.

With Read's vaunted "let everyone stand around while 6 guys swarm the return man" punting unit, he will have no problems finding a new job.

Best of luck shitbag

Pure class as always.

Personal attack! Personal attack!

Nah man, you super classy. Keep doing you.

And your Titanic comment was such a nice commentary on the current staff.

Glad to see Riley really is in this to win championships, and not "make his buddies rich" like what had been thrown around here by some.

Also, if this happened and Hughes last year I would think the pressure to perform as a coach on this staff has to be felt by all. Including Banker.

Well he did get his buddy a couple seasons at $450k a year, along with another year owed (I think all the assistants are on 2-year contracts).

With Read's vaunted "let everyone stand around while 6 guys swarm the return man" punting unit, he will have no problems finding a new job.

Best of luck shitbag

Woah... really?

Yes, really. Punt returns and kickoff returns were absolutely terrible this year. Or was the shitbag comment too much?

Lol, the sh#t bag comment is what I was referring to. Probably a bit over the top. Seemed like a good guy, just didn't do a good job with his unit. Plus it's the holiday season, bruh.

Best of luck shitbag

Woah... really?

Yes, really. Punt returns and kickoff returns were absolutely terrible this year. Or was the shitbag comment too much?

Lol, the sh#t bag comment is what I was referring to. Probably a bit over the top. Seemed like a good guy, just didn't do a good job with his unit. Plus it's the holiday season, bruh.

Hey, I'm not the jerk that fired him. Riley's the monster here!

It's about damn time. I mean, after seeing this today, I about spit out my drink.

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/802923961822625792

Is he saying let other people try besides DPE? I mean, sure, go ahead, but DPE was not at all the issue with the return team.

If you read his comment thread with Severe, he's essentially blaming DPE.

I mean...

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/802946535835176960

No... just.... no.

I don't keep up with Nebraska writers. Is he normally a moron?

He likes to think he's the smartest guy in the room about basically every topic. So basically.

The reason he fielded a punt at his six is because he's sick of never getting a chance and wanted to try to make a play to help his team win because we couldn't do anything on offense.. Those kind of qualities should definitely be discouraged.

• Fire 5

It's about damn time. I mean, after seeing this today, I about spit out my drink.

Is he saying let other people try besides DPE? I mean, sure, go ahead, but DPE was not at all the issue with the return team.

I mean...

No... just.... no.

No, he's usually pretty smart. He used to be one of my favorites, but, he's treated Riley with kid gloves since day 1. And player blaming like this (when it's not remotely warranted) is shameful.

• Fire 1

I mean...

No... just.... no.

He likes to think he's the smartest guy in the room about basically every topic. So basically.

The reason he fielded a punt at his six is because he's sick of never getting a chance and wanted to try to make a play to help his team win because we couldn't do anything on offense.. Those kind of qualities should definitely be discouraged.

This