Computer upgrade suggestions

Hello!

I'm thinking about upgrading my video card to something with a lot more power (last time I updated it was 2013) and would love some suggestions.

I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST. I don't really want to spend an outrageous amount of money on this.

I'm also trying not to spend anymore than $400 to $500 if at all possible. I don't need to run anything on Ultra settings necessarily, just something that will make games like BF1 and some of the newer releases work well on high settings. Any thoughts?

Other info:

Processor - Intel i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40 GHZ

8 GB of ram

power supply: Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750PCBUS 750W ATX 12V 2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Thought this would be a good place to ask this-

My son wants a gaming laptop. I think he primarily plays League of Legends. I found this...

ASUS 15" Laptop

6th gen Intel i7 2.6GHz

16GB RAM

1TB hard drive 7200RPM

NVidia GeForce GTX 960M gaming graphic card w/ 2GB VRAM

$829

Is this a decent deal and will it serve the gaming purpose?

I assume it can also be used for typical computer stuff too, surfing, MS office etc.

Also could upgrade to 1TB + 128GB SSD & 4GB VRam for another $200 $100-Amazon lightning deal. Would that be necessary/worth it?

My son wants a gaming laptop. I think he primarily plays League of Legends. I found this...

ASUS 15" Laptop

6th gen Intel i7 2.6GHz

16GB RAM

1TB hard drive 7200RPM

$829

I assume it can also be used for typical computer stuff too, surfing, MS office etc.

Also could upgrade to 1TB + 128GB SSD & 4GB VRam for another $200 $100-Amazon lightning deal. Would that be necessary/worth it?

That would be plenty for League of Legends, without the upgrade.

• Fire 1

Hello!

I'm thinking about upgrading my video card to something with a lot more power (last time I updated it was 2013) and would love some suggestions.

I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST. I don't really want to spend an outrageous amount of money on this.

I'm also trying not to spend anymore than $400 to $500 if at all possible. I don't need to run anything on Ultra settings necessarily, just something that will make games like BF1 and some of the newer releases work well on high settings. Any thoughts?

Other info:

Processor - Intel i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40 GHZ

8 GB of ram

power supply: Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750PCBUS 750W ATX 12V 2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Whatever GT 1070 you can find.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=GPU&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&feature=legacy_search

Easily your best bang for the buck (although I'd really recommend going to 16GB of RAM too).

ASUS 15" Laptop

6th gen Intel i7 2.6GHz

16GB RAM

1TB hard drive 7200RPM

$829

If he's sold on a laptop, that should work. Just don't expect top notch performance as laptops always lag behind a comparably priced desktop.

• Fire 1

Thanks saunders & Atbone. I ordered it with the additional 128GB SSD & 4GB VRam. Seemed like too good of a deal for only $100 more. This deal appeared to be $200 to $600 less than anything comparable.

I think he'll be more than happy with it, especially considering what it will replacing.

Damn Amazon lightning deals and their constantly growing "% claimed" ticker. Makes ya feel like you're going to miss out if you don't act right away. Oh well, at least I partook in cyber Monday.

• Fire 1

Thanks saunders & Atbone. I ordered it with the additional 128GB SSD & 4GB VRam. Seemed like too good of a deal for only $100 more. This deal appeared to be $200 to $600 less than anything comparable.

I think he'll be more than happy with it, especially considering what it will replacing.

Damn Amazon lightning deals and their constantly growing "% claimed" ticker. Makes ya feel like you're going to miss out if you don't act right away. Oh well, at least I partook in cyber Monday.

Haha, well, you can't go wrong - at the very least it might run a bit faster and maybe last a bit longer, who knows.

You wont regret the SSD. I won't use a computer without one. Since it's a dual drive system, Windows will be on the SSD, and I'd suggest loading docs and games on the secondary drive.

• Fire 2

JJHusker1, I use Game-Debate to check system compatibility with games. I know you already purchased your computer, so this is more for piece of mind and a future reference for upgrades. When I ran your base system with League of Legends, I got the following results: this system will have high performance while running this game. Now, you could upgrade the processor and graphic card to eliminate potential bottlenecking, but you may not even notice any issues (recommendations were Core i7-4940MX 4-Core 3.1 GHz and GeForce GTX 880M 4GB).

I also ran the check with the system you bought with the upgrades you included. It did not really change the system performance for running League of Legend, but that is probably because the base system was already more than sufficient. Still, upgrading to a SSD is always a good thing.

Good buy, in my opinion. I won't worry about any of the recommended upgrades.

• Fire 1

You wont regret the SSD. I won't use a computer without one. Since it's a dual drive system, Windows will be on the SSD, and I'd suggest loading docs and games on the secondary drive.

Should games be on the SSD as well, for performance? Or does that not matter much?

Oh yeah, if you have enough room. Considering it's a 128 drive, he only has room for 1 or maybe 2 games (depending on size). My setup has a smaller SSD for windows, and my games are installed on a secondary larger SSD.

Thanks again for the suggestions everybody! I settled on getting the 1060 instead of the 1070 (1070 was just a little bit more than what I wanted to spend and I'm not currently interested in VR or going 4k).

So far, I've been very pleased! The Witcher 3 works wonderfully on Ultra settings (used to have to play on medium), I tested out Arkham Knight (which used to perform OK but would stutter regularly on my old card) and that now runs very smoothly on very high settings. I'm looking forward to trying out BF1 Monday.

• Fire 1

Thanks again for the suggestions everybody! I settled on getting the 1060 instead of the 1070 (1070 was just a little bit more than what I wanted to spend and I'm not currently interested in VR or going 4k).

So far, I've been very pleased! The Witcher 3 works wonderfully on Ultra settings (used to have to play on medium), I tested out Arkham Knight (which used to perform OK but would stutter regularly on my old card) and that now runs very smoothly on very high settings. I'm looking forward to trying out BF1 Monday.

Glad to hear!