I would only fire Banker IF...

Roll Skers

I posted this in the Fired Read thread. Certainly not saying Banker's Ds were great this year, but he started in a hole losing our whole D-line during the spring:

Wow, so much hate for Banker in this thread. I realize this will be an unpopular thing to say, but we did not *totally* suck on defense this year. I know, I know, the two blowouts. I watched. ( :facepalm: ) But despite those two games we finished the year ranked #22 in total defense. (#30 in scoring defense). Sure, that's nothing to write home about. Plenty of room for improvement and all. But you do have to consider that we lost our entire defensive line from last year, including our top four DTs. We played the year with two new starters at DT, one DE who was a walk-on and the other DE who is converted tight end. Even though I'm perplexed and a bit pissed about the two blowout games I was mostly pleased with our defensive performance in the other ten games. I don't think it's time to break out the pitchforks and torches just yet for Banker.

• Fire 4

I would like to hear intelligible conversation as to what's so wrong with Banker at this point. Lot of uneducation generalizations based on nothing. You do realize that Banker is the DEFensive coordinator, right?

That's because people grasp at straws when things go wrong. A lot of what happened on Friday was on the players, both in effort and technique.

I'm in the camp to keep Banker personally but if we were to replace him we would need a major upgrade and there aren't alot of those coaches out there. I was just naming a few I though would be an upgrade but also I think continuity with the major pieces of the staff like our coordinators is important right now

I would like to hear intelligible conversation as to what's so wrong with Banker at this point. Lot of uneducation generalizations based on nothing. You do realize that Banker is the DEFensive coordinator, right?

That's because people grasp at straws when things go wrong. A lot of what happened on Friday was on the players, both in effort and technique.

I'm torn on what I think of him. But when people reference technique and fundamentals as being poor, who is that on if not the coach.

The difference in simply making tackles in space between us and Iowa was staggering.

I'm not fully understanding the Banker hate either. 10 games this year, our defense played pretty decent. We had two blow outs.

Taking the Iowa game. In the 10 games that weren't blow outs, we played pretty decent against teams with the same type of talent Iowa has. Iowa wasn't running some type of trick plays we had never seen before. But...it was like the players were out of sync and out of position on the big plays.

That game was lost basically on three big plays in the first half by Iowa. They weren't anything special and they were plays we defended well in other games. So....this tells me the scheme is not a problem in stopping these plays. AND...the players obviously knew how to defend them because we have seen them do it before.

I'm failing to see how this is evidence that the coordinator should be fired.

I'm torn on what I think of him. But when people reference technique and fundamentals as being poor, who is that on if not the coach.

The difference in simply making tackles in space between us and Iowa was staggering.

They played games earlier in the year where they made those tackles with good technique. So...they obviously were taught how to do it and knew how to do it then.

So.....you tell me who is to blame that they didn't do it in the Iowa game?

They played games earlier in the year where they made those tackles with good technique. So...they obviously were taught how to do it and knew how to do it then.

So.....you tell me who is to blame that they didn't do it in the Iowa game?

That says focus to me (and possibly playing better opponents?). I do agree we've been better this year, but we still see a lot of poor angles and over pursuit resulting in cutbacks and long plays. I think Nate Gerry is a prime example. He's obviously been terrific for us this year, but he misses a lot of tackles.

Again, I'm not advocating either way on the DC, just noting something I've noticed.

I posted this in the Fired Read thread. Certainly not saying Banker's Ds were great this year, but he started in a hole losing our whole D-line during the spring:

Wow, so much hate for Banker in this thread. I realize this will be an unpopular thing to say, but we did not *totally* suck on defense this year. I know, I know, the two blowouts. I watched. ( :facepalm: ) But despite those two games we finished the year ranked #22 in total defense. (#30 in scoring defense). Sure, that's nothing to write home about. Plenty of room for improvement and all. But you do have to consider that we lost our entire defensive line from last year, including our top four DTs. We played the year with two new starters at DT, one DE who was a walk-on and the other DE who is converted tight end. Even though I'm perplexed and a bit pissed about the two blowout games I was mostly pleased with our defensive performance in the other ten games. I don't think it's time to break out the pitchforks and torches just yet for Banker.

It helped that we didn't play good offenses, and the one that we did dropped a 60 point bomb on us.

» 13: Rushes of more than 30 yards allowed by Nebraska’s defense. That ranks 105th nationally. NU was hot and cold as a run defense all season. The Huskers held five opponents under 100 yards rushing and four teams gained more than 200 yards. NU allowed 4.28 yards per carry, which ranked 10th in the Big Ten. Teams that stuck with the run — Wisconsin and Iowa — were rewarded for it. The idea that the Badgers didn’t run the ball well on NU is inaccurate; Wisconsin ran for 223 yards and 5.87 yards per carry. That’s a good day. That’s Wisconsin’s highest yards-per-carry day all season.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-iowa-debacle-could-make-husker-coach-mike-riley-an/article_41184864-e4b5-54f4-b0fd-3d89bfe72a0e.html

Mark Banker is Kevin Cosgrove, except Mark gets the benefit of not playing against good offenses all year.

• Fire 1

There's probably a good argument to be made that there are some measurably more athletic young players coming up on defense right now. Even with as good as Gerry has been at times this season, Lamar Jackson could possibly be even better, for example.

I'd like to get this athleticism out on the field and see it in action before calling for Banker to be fired. But I will say, I had my doubts by half time against Iowa.