NU and NCAAF Coaching Changes

Please don't make this a debate about whether HCMR is the fit for us and why or why not. With this being open season for coaching changes, my interest turned back to Nebraska and all the hindset 20/20, and wanted some opinions from anyone wanting to participate.

I was looking at our last 3 hires (website I found only goes back to 2001, plus OC Frank Solich inherited the program...per tradition) to compare them to other HCs hired that same season and who we realistically could have hired instead. Here is the website for reference

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes_2015.html

Do you think we had made coaching changes in a low stock year (actual successful coaches at their new school) and hired at the wrong time? Looking back, I think of the coaches hired the same year, we hired in down years of quality available coaches as opposed to the before or after years. Anyway, below is a list of coaches hired the same year we hired a new coach, as well as a year before and after.

2015, there was no shot we would end up with Harbaugh after his star shined, Anderson wouldn't leave for another B1G school - would he? Herman was just an OC which we weren't going to do again...so who is left that you would want hired? I can only think of McElwain, experience and success at CSU, plus success as OC at UW before Bama.

2008? There were some successful coaches, but would Briles let the program ethics deteriorate like at Baylor? Rich Rod, Petrino, Fedora, Sumlin, Cutcliffe, Paul Johnson?

2004? The list seems incomplete other than just no write up like the other hears. Dantonio and Brian Kelly are the only two I could consider. Dantonio had no HC experience, Kelly had a successful D2(?) program.

Now look at the before and after years, had we fired sooner or a year later. Who would you omit from these options, or who from the website would you add? And why?

2003? Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly OR 2005? Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Mike Gundy, Spurrier.

2007? Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly OR 2009? Gary Anderson, Brady Hoke, Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen

2014? Bryan Harsin, Chris Peterson, James Franklin, Charlie Strong OR 2016? Mark Richt, Bronco Mendenhall, Justin Fuente.

There are multiple ways to delve deeper aside from the just for fun what ifs, but long story...long, my general thought is man we've had some bad timing on available home run hires. Your thoughts?

• Fire 1

Sounds similar to Mike Riley. Did all he could at one school and finally decided to take on a different challenge. Did read that Peterson had a son with health issues at an early age, but has since overcome those problems, which made it difficult to leave Boise at the time. If anything reoccurred, Seattle's Children Hospital is one of the best if not the best Children's hospital.

I think that 2004 was definitely wrong time to hire/fire. I recall that interview with Harvey Perlman where he stated that an NFL Head Coach was lined up to take the job after Frank got axed, but ended up getting cold feet and stayed in the NFL. I know some folks thought he was just blowing smoke, however I believe him. That search took around 40 days. That only happens when you're flat footed and have no idea what to do and you'll settle on whoever you can. Riley was hired in what, 4 or 5 days? There was a plan that was followed through on.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/outgoing-unl-chancellor-harvey-perlman-leaves-with-unmet-goal-huskers/article_1e710d39-c435-5f72-a994-9562f257b619.html

I always believed that you better have a great replacement lined up before you fire the current coach. Given that, I see no reason not to delay firing by a year if no great coach is available.

I agree with both points. Callahan was fired at the right time and hate to say it, but TO hired the wrong person, plus there weren't great options to choose from unless they opened up the check book to lure a homerun coach away. Pelini and Solich are debatable, one obviously didn't work out and Riley is 2-3 seasons away for me to form an opinion yet, in my eyes.

I think that 2004 was definitely wrong time to hire/fire. I recall that interview with Harvey Perlman where he stated that an NFL Head Coach was lined up to take the job after Frank got axed, but ended up getting cold feet and stayed in the NFL. I know some folks thought he was just blowing smoke, however I believe him. That search took around 40 days. That only happens when you're flat footed and have no idea what to do and you'll settle on whoever you can. Riley was hired in what, 4 or 5 days? There was a plan that was followed through on.

Mike Tice, correct? I think I also heard Al Saunders' name too.

When I heard the rumors of Nebraska contacting Beilema I was against it, but now hindsight Beilema would have been good. Why? Guy has major connections to B1G recruiting grounds. He emphasizes on beefy big O-Lineman, and he was a proven winnner in the conference.

He isn't a likeable person, at least to those who aren't fans of the teams he is coaching, but maybe if he is your coach you like him?

Frank should have been given more time. We would have avoid BC then. Bo - for sure one year to many but maybe 3. He faded fast after entering the Big 10.

Peterson would have been a great hire. I was a Paul Johnson fan when Tom picked Bo. We may have had an offense that was consistent wt our history.

Frank should have been given more time. We would have avoid BC then. Bo - for sure one year to many but maybe 3. He faded fast after entering the Big 10.

Peterson would have been a great hire. I was a Paul Johnson fan when Tom picked Bo. We may have had an offense that was consistent wt our history.

Agree on Frank except for the rumored character issues. Pelini was/is a good coordinator. I don't like to think what might have been with Solich as HC and Pelini as DC for a few years.