Westerkamp, Gates Named to All-B1G Teams

Mavric

3rd team for Westy............3rd team for Gates.........

Two of our best players, IMO with Westy and Gerry, and they are 2nd and 3rd team..... Our better OL man 3rd team........... Man, we are killing it.

Props to all of them for the recognition. I really thought that they would receive higher accolades than that.

Zero 1st-teamers.....we had soooo much talent this year you guys.

Weird, we had multiple First-Team guys every year in the Big Ten before Riley. We've only had one (Foltz) since.

Legit take. But it may not be all because of Riley. Not gonna say none. But these postseason All-??? teams are about success of a teams. We can be honest and say no one really stood out on our team this year and caugh anyone's eye. And obviously the really good teams and stories like Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St are gonna have multiple folks.

These lists are not a gauge for talent or lack of talent of a particular team.

Since we've joined the B10 (1st team) at least one media or coaches

Burkhead

David

Dennard

Maher

Martinez

Long

Maher

Martin

Stafford

Abdullah

Gregory

Evans

Bell

Gregory

Foltz

Should clarify this list is 1st and 2nd teamers. Steinkuhler and Compton were 2nd team in 2012 as well.

So you see the trend. The year we made Indy is the year we had the most. We had the best conference record outsdie of an ineligible Ohio St.

How many true sophomores or freshman made All Big Ten? Damnit, Riley, why didn't any of your young guys cut the mustard?? :lol:

Michigan has SIX on the First-Team.

• RS Senior
  • Senior
  • Senior
  • RS Senior
  • Junior
  • Senior

I believe they had two in 2013 and 2014 combined.

• Fire 1

And ive said this multiple times. And it's so accurate. And i guess i dont see you could spend 3 hours a weekend (or in my case, 10, lol) watching our team, and not see that while we have talented player in spots, we're not an overly talented team. We have holes. glaring holes. This is not a new revelation. it's been an issue for year. it's not a Bo thing. it's not a Riley thing. yeah. Bo's lack of recruiting prowess (though depending on perception, is worse to some than others) left us with current holes on the front lines and at qb. That's an inarguable fact. Thats why in not being like the NFL, unless youre a perennially talented team in the "reload" eshelon of college ball, immediate turnaround success is hard to do. Not to mention when you come in and completely flip upside down the systems utilized by the previous staff, on both sides of the ball and completely change the intangible culture.

But some of the issues we still have are not a result of Pelini or Riley exclusively. A lot of it is Nebraska problems that have been a problem for a decade.

How many true sophomores or freshman made All Big Ten? Damnit, Riley, why didn't any of your young guys cut the mustard?? :lol:

Michigan has SIX on the First-Team.

• RS Senior Magnuson, Erik RS SR
  • Senior TE Jake Butt, Michigan SR
  • Senior LB Charlton, Taco SR
  • RS Senior DE Wormley, Chris RS SR
  • Junior OLB Peppers, Jabrill RS JR
  • Senior CB Lewis, Jourdan SR

I believe they had two in 2013 and 2014 combined.

Right! +1. Six All Big Ten for Michigan, but zero true sophs or freshmen. Harbaugh is a great recruiterno doubt about that. But he didn't recruit any of his six All Conference players. Say what you will about Brady Hoke, but he didn't leave the cupboard bare. Harbaugh started out with pretty decent talent on day one.

We need to get our asses in gear on the crootin' trail to catch up with these guys.

Taylor Martinez was the coaches pick for first team all-conference quarterback in 2012, and according to many on here, he was an in-over-his-head athlete that could kind of sometimes throw the ball not very well, and that's about all I need to know as far as Husker fans' perception of whether these lists are accurate or not.

• Fire 3

2012 was Martinez's best season here. i think by far. now, what other Big 10 qb's were gonna challenge him for that spot, on a team with the 2nd best conference record, winning their division. Braxton Miller won the media side i believe. And here are some qb names that come to mind

Denard Robinson (injured midseason

Joel Stave (injured before CCG, did not play in CCG)

Trevor Simien was a soph at NW, splitting time with Kain Colter

Matt McGloin

Marquies Gray

Devon Gardner after Robinson was hurt.

i think was 2011-2012 was the low point for the Big ten in terms of football. it was urbans first year at Ohio st. Which i thought then, and fully beleive now, is the single most significant event in the rise of Big Ten football to the top the hill.