How many presidential elections have you voted in? How many times did your candidate win?

Moiraine's post about Millennials gave me this idea.

I've voted in eight presidential elections. My candidate won half the time. I was OK with Bush winning in 2004, although I loathed his cronyism. I was unhappy Clinton won in 1992 & 1996. Never liked that guy, and I was OK with another four years of Bush, but I didn't think Bob Dole would have been a good president. I was happy Obama won in 2008, a little less happy in 2012. I'm very unhappy Trump won in 2016, but I'd have been unhappy if Clinton won. I never wanted John Kerry as president, I just didn't want to endorse Bush's screwups.

1988 - Bush - Republican (won)

1992 - Bush - Republican (lost)

1996 - Dole - Republican (lost)

2000 - Bush - Republican (won)

2004 - Kerry - Democrat (lost)

2008 - Obama - Democrat (won)

2012 - Obama - Democrat (won)

2016 - Clinton - Democrat (lost)

So I'm at eight elections, and I went 4-4 in those. What's your record?

Edit - Included the party of the person I voted for.

• Fire 1

You're going to force me to reveal my age!

If I was old enough in 1968 & 72 I would have voted for Humphrey and McGovern respectively. I still like and respect them both politically and personally. Humphrey was born in my native SD and of course McGovern was the great liberal senator from SD for many years. Both in my opinion were great men of integrity, honor. Even though I am more conservative today, I would seriously consider and most likely vote for either one again. My first vote when I turned 18 was for McGovern in his 1974 Senate re-election. I did my big college history project on Senator Humphrey. Great men - which I wish the Dem party was like today. But like Reagan said, the party left me.

So, below you will see a run of Repub presidential picks but I've also voted for many Dems on the local/state/congressional level - living in Okla, the dems tend to be more conservative also.

1976 Ford - lost to Carter. This was a toss up to me. This was my first vote for President. I finally settled on Ford ( I didn't like his pardon of Nixon) but I thought Carter was too 'goofy' and inexperienced (Trump?)

1980 Reagan - my conversion to conservatism occurred as I listened to RR. His willingness to speak against the Soviet threat instead of accommodation via the ongoing MAD philosophy - Mutually Assured Destruction, the weakness of Carter, and the poor economy ( I still think was worse than what Obama inherited - I lived it) all contributed to my change

1984 Reagan

1988 Bush - his opponent was a goof ball and I expected him to carry on the Reagan legacy.

1992 Bush - lost to Clinton

1996 Dole lost to Clinton Did not care for Clinton at all :o I know you are all surprised. However, Dole was the 'next in line' and was a terrible candidate. The John McCain of his day (good guy however)

2000 Bush didn't want a Clinton clone

2004 Bush

2008 McCain

2012 Romney

2016 - neither - voted for the local races. Both candidates were terrible and Johnson faded so fast I thought he was the wrong message to send.

So I'm 5-5 wt one abstain (2016)

• Fire 1

This is interesting ... Knapp we must be the same age:

1988 - Dukakis - Dem (I think I remember voting Jackson in the primary??)

1992 - Clinton - Dem

1996 - Clinton - Dem

2000 - Gore - Dem

2004 - Kerry - Dem

2008 - Obama - Dem

2012 - Obama - Dem

2016 - Clinton - Dem

Guess I'm loyal. There are times I didn't like the Democratic candidate so much, but really disagreed w/the other options. Social issues definitely drive my vote. And those initial two years of voting didn't matter - I left Nebraska in 96'.

50% win rate. Guess if I was a head FB coach at NE I'd get shown the door.

• Fire 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Kerry, Obama, Obama, Clinton

I had planned on writing in Sanders, based on the principle of actually voting for the person I think would be the best president. Once the FBI's convenient reopening of the email investigation happened, I decided it was too important to not vote Clinton.

In the end, it didn't matter. I'm still 2-2. Thanks, Obama!

• Fire 3

2004 - Bush - Republican (won)

2008 - McCain - Republican (lost)

2012 - Romney -Republican (lost)

2016 - Bigredbuster - independent (lost)

3-5.

I laugh when people claim I'm a liberal democrat.

• Fire 1

1984 Reagan - won

1988 Bush - won

1992 Bush - lost

1996 Dole - lost

2000 Bush - won

2004 Bush - won

2008 McCain - lost

2012 Romney - lost

2016 None of the above - lost

4-5

BTW, I have voted for some democrats in local and state elections. Don't think I ever have for a federal position though.

Special thanks to huKSer for providing the easy cut & paste entry.

2004 - Bush - Republican (won)

2008 - McCain - Republican (lost)

2012 - Romney -Republican (lost)

2016 - Bigredbuster - independent (lost)

3-5.

I laugh when people claim I'm a liberal democrat.

Well we laugh at you because you couldnt even beat out HRC and Trump with your grassroots write in campaign. ;-)

• Fire 1