iPad or Kindle Fire HDX?

Do Kindles still restrict you from using the Google Play store? My wife has an older Fire, and that's what has kept us from buying a new one.

Yeah, I believe so. Kindle devices don't play well, or at all, with Google or really anything other than Amazon stuff. However, the Kindle app does seem to work very well with Android. I guess Amazon didn't protect their hardware sales as well as Apple has. I think Kindle/Amazon is very good but only with Amazon content and software.

Officially--yes, Kindle Fire restricts access to the Google Store.

Unofficially--there's been an available workaround for a while now that Amazon hasn't tried to really quash, per se, and it works perfectly fine.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update.

The iPad is working out great. I've got a little learning curve on the Apple platform as it is just a bit different navigating around it but it has been excellent and fast for the few credit card transactions I've run through it so far. Takes just a few seconds from turning it on to acquiring the wifi and card reader and boom, youre done. Plus the money gets deposited in the bank the next morning. And there are lots of pretty cool apps out there. My daughter really oikes some of coloring/drawings apps. I've got all my iTunes songs on it now and it actually sounds pretty good with just the built in speakers. Can't believe you can get that much sound out of such a flat thing. The neatest thing I've found so far though is the camera on it. Takes incredible pictures and the "live" feature can be pretty fun. For those that don't know (I didn't), when you take a picture, it actually captures a split second of live movement right before it freezes the picture. As you scroll through the gallery of pics it can be pretty funny watching the movement for a split second before the picture locks in. And the battery seems to last forever. I can screw around on it forever, have left music playing for hours, and the battery will still be at 80%+ left. Only have to charge it once every few days.

• Fire 3