How long until Miles is on the hot seat

He already is, as far as I am concerned. There's too much smoke in the off-the-court realm to live with the results on the court. And, he can't beat Creighton.

This was my impression too. He seems to be going "All in" with this Non-con schedule. He joked with that S.D. coach after that game on the air, gave him crap about "auditioning for my job" I know he was just joking around but I think he knows the heat is on him. Plus isn't his contract about up?

Considering he wasn't given a contract extension after last season, I think it's fair to say he's already on the hot seat to some extent.

It will be interesting to see what happens after this year. I suppose it's possible that he could get a one year extension to stay at three years but that seems unlikely to me. It seems more likely that this year's results will be promising and he'll get a two-year extension (back to four years out) or he'll be let go and we'll move on. I really can't see nothing happening and him only having a contract for the next two years.

I also find it interesting to compare the basketball and football programs right now.

It seems to me like both coaches have largely underwhelming results that are being somewhat overlooked by one really exciting game - basketball beating Wisconsin on No Sit Saturday and the football team beating Michigan State last year. Those were both really good wins but they seem to be somewhat obscuring the far bigger picture of relatively poor performances in many other games. If we hadn't found a way to win those individual games, I think most people's outlook would be significantly different. Which means that too much importance is being placed on one game.

For Riley, there is a lot of "he needs more time to get his players and (hopefully) upgrade talent." And that is true to a large extent. But we've been hearing the same thing about Miles. And he's now in year five. There is still a lot of "this is a young (basketball) team - we need to let these sophomores develop and see where we are." But these ARE ALL Miles' players. The reason we're having to rely on Sophomores at this point is because he was a failure at recruiting for about three years. And this despite all the talk - all along - about how much better recruiting was going.

If Miles' is given two more years for these Sophomores to become Seniors, that will be seven years. So I think the "he needs more time" argument is not really holding water. And that makes me wonder about the "more time" argument on the other side.

I also find it interesting to compare the basketball and football programs right now.

It seems to me like both coaches have largely underwhelming results that are being somewhat overlooked by one really exciting game - basketball beating Wisconsin on No Sit Saturday and the football team beating Michigan State last year. Those were both really good wins but they seem to be somewhat obscuring the far bigger picture of relatively poor performances in many other games. If we hadn't found a way to win those individual games, I think most people's outlook would be significantly different. Which means that too much importance is being placed on one game.

For Riley, there is a lot of "he needs more time to get his players and (hopefully) upgrade talent." And that is true to a large extent. But we've been hearing the same thing about Miles. And he's now in year five. There is still a lot of "this is a young (basketball) team - we need to let these sophomores develop and see where we are." But these ARE ALL Miles' players. The reason we're having to rely on Sophomores at this point is because he was a failure at recruiting for about three years. And this despite all the talk - all along - about how much better recruiting was going.

If Miles' is given two more years for these Sophomores to become Seniors, that will be seven years. So I think the "he needs more time" argument is not really holding water. And that makes me wonder about the "more time" argument on the other side.

Interesting point. I definitely thought the Wisconsin "No Sit" game was a turning point in the basketball program. Certainly wasn't. Miles should have this thing rolling right now. 5 years with state of the art facilities, a brand new arena, more money and emphasis than ever before, a fan base that is chomping at the bit for success. He's not the dude. Get him out, and pony up for a legitimate big time coach for a change.

I'm willing to give Riley more time simply because a football program is so big. It takes time to recruit dozens of players and develop them, install a new offense and a new defense. Not to mention that the situation he walked into was relatively toxic.

• Fire 1

Jordy will never be more than serviceable and that is okay because of his size.

Roby is not going to be what a lot of people had hoped but his offer list pretty much let everyone know that.

McVeigh is horrid

The funny thing...people saying the team would be better without white and shields. Classic!

I applaud Webster, he has really changed up his game and/or finally is doing what people knew he could do.

I still think this team should press all game.

• Fire 1

Roby is not going to be what a lot of people had hoped but his offer list pretty much let everyone know that.

McVeigh is horrid

The funny thing...people saying the team would be better without white and shields. Classic!

I applaud Webster, he has really changed up his game and/or finally is doing what people knew he could do.

They are frehsman, I would say if Jordy could be an 8pt and 8 rebound guy next year or by his junior year that would be really good. I don't understand what you mean about Roby. The guy is a freshman so calling him a bust or saying his offer list proves he is not that good is unwarranted until the end or midway point of next year imo.

McVeigh is horrid

They are frehsman, I would say if Jordy could be an 8pt and 8 rebound guy next year or by his junior year that would be really good. I don't understand what you mean about Roby. The guy is a freshman so calling him a bust or saying his offer list proves he is not that good is unwarranted until the end or midway point of next year imo.

I am not calling him a bust...not at all...he is going to be a below average Big Ten starter.

Jordy, 8/8, sounds a bit high but maybe. 8 boards is a lot.

McVeigh is horrid

I am not calling him a bust...not at all...he is going to be a below average Big Ten starter.

Comical that you come to this conclusion over their prospective outlooks. Roby still is coming to form from missing 20+practices this fall and Jordy seeing his first real basketball 24/7.

• Fire 1

He has more top recruits on campus than any coach has since...ever maybe? I say we give him 2 years to see if he can get it done...gotta give those young guys chances to adjust to big time BBall.

Is this actually true? I know there's been a lot more hype, but as someone who doesn't follow the recruiting very close at all, I seem to feel like at the end of the day the talent level isn't drastically better than it has been historically.

McVeigh is horrid

Comical that you come to this conclusion over their prospective outlooks. Roby still is coming to form from missing 20+practices this fall and Jordy seeing his first real basketball 24/7.

Not really...It is what happens to most guys

The talent level on this team is light years. like a lot of light years ahead of what it ever was under Sadler. it's actually farther ahead than what it was in Mile's second year. It's actually pretty glaring if you take a look at our players ability now and compare it to then.

And that's why Miles ability is coming into question. Yes. He has seriously upgraded the talent. But the results are still not proportionate.

3 years ago that 18-4 start to a game turns into a 30-40 point routed (cuz it actually did http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=400504490 ) the fact we over came that against a team who is just as good as they were then, shows our upgraded talent. We played right with UCLA for 35 minutes. We went right to the last second against a good Clemson team on the road. We have been competitive in situations that we never woulda dreamed of 5 years ago. hell, even last year maybe.

Watson, Roby, Tscumanga are legit talents. But why it hasnt come together is concerning. Basketball is not like football in that physical and mental development is not as crucial. Basketball talent is not as reliant on physical maturity in relation to your competition as football is. That's why basketball can provide a quick turnaround in a much more reasonable fashion. it's the norm in basketball.