Offensive Struggles

Mavric

See if you can find a pattern here:

LJS: Miles' ongoing challenge: Find enough offense

OWH: Scoring droughts familiar refrain for Huskers

LJS: Offensive shortcomings exposed again

And a really interesting source:

Huskers.com: Offensive woes costly in loss to Jays

I mean ... none of that is exactly surprising. But it seems like Miles has no clue about how to play offensive basketball. And what may be worse is that he's run through several assistants and either hasn't been able to hire anyone who has a clue or won't let them do anything about it.

• Fire 1

one of the main reasons i like being at games is because, as a youth coach of multiple sports, it gives me a better perspective of things i just dont see all off on TV. i went to the Minnesota football game and sat up high in the south. I saw so much that i dont notice much on tv and so many things make sense now. last night i was 20 rows off the floor. I cannot fathom what is being taught offensively. Lots of standing around. Movement without the ball is basically just a baseline runner, who happens to be jogging. I know basketball offense has taken on a more simple approach last decade or so. Lot's of pass and cut, get ball in hands of scorers, when all else fails, go pick and roll. But still. you have to have some movement to make it hard for the defense to play. Make THEM move around a little. I dont get it

• Fire 1

one of the main reasons i like being at games is because, as a youth coach of multiple sports, it gives me a better perspective of things i just dont see all off on TV. i went to the Minnesota football game and sat up high in the south. I saw so much that i dont notice much on tv and so many things make sense now. last night i was 20 rows off the floor. I cannot fathom what is being taught offensively. Lots of standing around. Movement without the ball is basically just a baseline runner, who happens to be jogging. I know basketball offense has taken on a more simple approach last decade or so. Lot's of pass and cut, get ball in hands of scorers, when all else fails, go pick and roll. But still. you have to have some movement to make it hard for the defense to play. Make THEM move around a little. I dont get it

I was watching the game on our iPad last night. There were times when we had the ball that there was so little movement, I thought the stream was lagging or frozen.

I've seen better movement out of the 50 and over rec leagues at the YMCA

I honestly do not understand offensive philosophy in basketball anymore. And, that's at pretty much all levels.

My son plays in HS now and for the life of me, I can not tell you what he is supposed to be doing. I spent my HS career sitting on the bench beside a hall of fame coach. I sucked at playing simply because of no athletic ability and we had a pretty good team. But, he and I would have great discussions about the game and I learned a lot.

Absolutely ZERO of the ideas he had about offense are practiced today.

It's frustrating because I firmly believe if a coach would go back to those ideas and philosophy and was good at teaching them, I think he would win multiple championships.

• Fire 1

I was watching the game on our iPad last night. There were times when we had the ball that there was so little movement, I thought the stream was lagging or frozen.

I've seen better movement out of the 50 and over rec leagues at the YMCA

our 3rd graders have one set, and one motion. They move better without the ball better than anything i saw last night. This is not a joke. now i know there are plans for clearout sets and things that are determined by matchups and such. But what happened was, how many times were they able to just straight up double a guy? if youre not moving that double becomes infinitely more effective.

And of course the other thing is shooting. for all this focus on defense, basketball was invented on the premise of putting the ball in the hole. Until we recognize this, esp in this new era of non-physical defense, and the 30 sec shot clock. Until we recognize the need for straight up scorers and putting more attn on the offensive end and letting the defensive end just be a "go play" phase, i think we'll continue to struggle. now. I dont think last nights HORRIBLE shooting is a direct reflection of the teams ability. Sure you wind up with a lot of hard challenged shots, but still, most nights, more go down than what did last night.

• Fire 1

I honestly do not understand offensive philosophy in basketball anymore. And, that's at pretty much all levels.

My son plays in HS now and for the life of me, I can not tell you what he is supposed to be doing. I spent my HS career sitting on the bench beside a hall of fame coach. I sucked at playing simply because of no athletic ability and we had a pretty good team. But, he and I would have great discussions about the game and I learned a lot.

It's frustrating because I firmly believe if a coach would go back to those ideas and philosophy and was good at teaching them, I think he would win multiple championships.

i think what happened-and this could be said for any level, any demographic, region, etc-was that somewhere, someone had a superstar and lived of the "get the ball in the playmakers hands". one man show. it becomes a fad. So then things change. Like i said. the pace and need to score. Also, i think with technology, the ability to scout and the focus put on defense really made it hard on set offenses. Which also cause the simplifying of the game on the offensive end. Shot clock has play a role over the decades i think too. looking back a few years, look at the adjustments the rules had to make to allow for more scoring.

Honestly, the best I can tell from the few games I've watched this year is that we just have a couple basic "rules" for what should happen.

"If the ball is on the your wing, set a baseline screen for the opposite wing to run off of."

"If you're at the high post and the ball is on the wing, run pick-and-roll."

Things like that. Because it seems like guys will suddenly move for no apparent reason and a lot of the time it's not really helpful in getting a guy open. They just suddenly realize they're supposed to be doing something so they move to the place they're supposed to be in.

Doesn't seem to lead to a very cohesive unit.

And it doesn't seem to work.

i think what happened-and this could be said for any level, any demographic, region, etc-was that somewhere, someone had a superstar and lived of the "get the ball in the playmakers hands". one man show. it becomes a fad. So then things change. Like i said. the pace and need to score. Also, i think with technology, the ability to scout and the focus put on defense really made it hard on set offenses. Which also cause the simplifying of the game on the offensive end. Shot clock has play a role over the decades i think too. looking back a few years, look at the adjustments the rules had to make to allow for more scoring.

That doesn't make sense to me on set offenses. Even as late as the 90s when the Bulls were winning championships they had an offense that they ran.

Now days, it's like the kids are just supposed to move around and figure out where you are supposed to go with no organization. OK....how do you teach that? It's basically a situation where either a kid has great basketball instincts or he is left out in the cold.

With set offenses, you can design plays and situations where almost all players are involved and can score. Defenses can't just key on one or two players that they know is going to take the shot.

Also, a well designed and well ran offense will wear an opposing team out to the point that it creates shots.

That doesn't make sense to me on set offenses. Even as late as the 90s when the Bulls were winning championships they had an offense that they ran.

Now days, it's like the kids are just supposed to move around and figure out where you are supposed to go with no organization. OK....how do you teach that? It's basically a situation where either a kid has great basketball instincts or he is left out in the cold.

With set offenses, you can design plays and situations where almost all players are involved and can score. Defenses can't just key on one or two players that they know is going to take the shot.

Also, a well designed and well ran offense will wear an opposing team out to the point that it creates shots.

yeah. i dont know. i'm just throwing sh#t at a wall, and not trying to sound like i got it figured out.

It's just unexplainable.

Admittedly, we are talking about Nebraska. But, I'm venting a little because I see the same thing on my son's HS team. The last coach was very defensive minded. So, I sort of gave him some slack for not having a well developed offense. But, this new coach was supposed to be all about offense and scoring........we are two games into the season and I honestly can't figure it out.

So...I have two teams I'm frustrated at on this issue.

When I was playing in high school (14 years ago) we had multiple offenses to run against whatever the defense threw at us. They run zone, we overload the weak spots and use quick ball movements and cutters to get open shots. If they were in man, we had motion offenses, we even ran a frickin flex offense, and we had numerous other set plays.

Last night Creighton went zone and the Huskers were content to stand outside, dribbling around, and then chuck up a contested 3.

I don't get what's going on in Lincoln. It sucks because I liked the Miles hire. I thought he would take us places, but here we are, stuck in the same old spot.

When I was playing in high school (14 years ago) we had multiple offenses to run against whatever the defense threw at us. They run zone, we overload the weak spots and use quick ball movements and cutters to get open shots. If they were in man, we had motion offenses, we even ran a frickin flex offense, and we had numerous other set plays.

Last night Creighton went zone and the Huskers were content to stand outside, dribbling around, and then chuck up a contested 3.

I don't get what's going on in Lincoln. It sucks because I liked the Miles hire. I thought he would take us places, but here we are, stuck in the same old spot.

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

When they are in man, you have lots of motion and screens moving the ball from side to side wearing out the defense to the point they let up and you either have an good shot or (god forbid) a layup.

When they are in zone, you use quick ball movement to get the defense out of position with guys inside moving to open spots. Many times you can get back door layups or shots because the defense is late adjusting to where the ball is.