Coach Mike Riley

I don't think anybody has seriously argued that he's not an awesome person. He was brought in to win a big ten title, and I don't really see us being any closer to that goal than before he was hired. I'm not saying fire him, he deserves a few more years, but time will tell the quality of the hire. I'm fairly happy with how he's handled his staff, but we'll see how this recruiting cycle closes because he's going to need some of these big names to get through that 2018 schedule successfully imho. Let's be real though, we just went 9-3 again and got blown out twice in conference play, let's not act like we've had this drastic improvement. Hopefully getting more of "his" guys in the program helps the psyche and performance of this team, we shall see.

giphy.gif

You guys are right but I didn't expect that in year 2. Did you?

I did not, but I'm not sure it's a good thing that everybody's bar was so low that another 9-3 season is exceeding expectations.

Who has said that?

Based on the reality of the situation I think he met, but didn't exceed expectations this year. If we have the exact same season next year, then I think we may be in 9 win Bo purgatory again.

I did not, but I'm not sure it's a good thing that everybody's bar was so low that another 9-3 season is exceeding meeting expectations.

Fixed.

Who is saying that?

I don't think anybody has seriously argued that he's not an awesome person. He was brought in to win a big ten title, and I don't really see us being any closer to that goal than before he was hired. I'm not saying fire him, he deserves a few more years, but time will tell the quality of the hire. I'm fairly happy with how he's handled his staff, but we'll see how this recruiting cycle closes because he's going to need some of these big names to get through that 2018 schedule successfully imho. Let's be real though, we just went 9-3 again and got blown out twice in conference play, let's not act like we've had this drastic improvement. Hopefully getting more of "his" guys in the program helps the psyche and performance of this team, we shall see.

giphy.gif

You guys are right but I didn't expect that in year 2. Did you?

I did not, but I'm not sure it's a good thing that everybody's bar was so low that another 9-3 season is exceeding expectations.

Who has said that?

Based on the reality of the situation I think he met, but didn't exceed expectations this year. If we have the exact same season next year, then I think we may be in 9 win Bo purgatory again.

I did not, but I'm not sure it's a good thing that everybody's bar was so low that another 9-3 season is exceeding meeting expectations.

Fixed.

Who is saying that?

Mike Riley always makes sure his wife orgasms before he does when they make love.

What a gentleman. We could all learn a thing or two from Coach Riley.

desire and capability are two mutually exclusive qualities.

no they arent. you can desire something and be capable of it as well.

my bad.

*can be*

FWIW, I like HCMR. He IS a nice guy and says/does good things.

But he's being paid nearly 3 million dollars to recruit players, coach practices, and win games and hopefully win championships. I'm not saying he needs to be fired. I'm more than willing to give him 3 or 4 more years to get it going, provided we don't have another 2015 season.

I think a lot of people are just worn out about hearing what nice guy he is. We've heard all of this stuff for 2 years and 4 days now. We get it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. In my mind, it's a bonus that he's a good guy, but the job is win games. If we beat Tennessee and pull in a good class, then the future could be bright. If we lose and pull in a so-so class, then who knows. In words of one Bradley Nowell, "I ain't got no crystal ball."

-This year he took a team with a drop off in talent from prior year, and a huge lack of upper classmen at key positions to 9-3.

I loved everything you wrote, until....

You mean like the QB, backup QB, RB, top 3 WR, top 3 TE, C, DE, DT, MLB, OLB, SS, KR, and top special teams tackler?

You have a valid point that we are losing some nice quality seniors. However, for every position you listed we have equal positions that have NO upper classmen leadership. 4 of the 5 lineman (consider by many of this board as the most important group on the team), 2 starting WR, DE, DT, WLB, KR. So more than 1/3 and almost 1/2 of our key players are NOT upper classmen - that says a lot!!!

-This year he took a team with a drop off in talent from prior year, and a huge lack of upper classmen at key positions to 9-3.

I loved everything you wrote, until....

You mean like the QB, backup QB, RB, top 3 WR, top 3 TE, C, DE, DT, MLB, OLB, SS, KR, and top special teams tackler?

You have a valid point that we are losing some nice quality seniors. However, for every position you listed we have equal positions that have NO upper classmen leadership. 4 of the 5 lineman (consider by many of this board as the most important group on the team), 2 starting WR, DE, DT, WLB, KR. So more than 1/3 and almost 1/2 of our key players are NOT upper classmen - that says a lot!!!

Wow, I am blown away by your incredible observation.

In a world where students get four years at a university, you'd assume seniors make up 25% of your roster. It is astonishing that 50% of our key players are indeed NOT seniors! lol

• Fire 1

Why can't we have a coach that worships Satan?

Y'know, someone that will do whatever it takes to win. Someone that will sell their soul to get us some more championships. It would be sacrificial- to give themselves up for our happiness and well-being. Now that's commitment.

you mean like Meyer and Saban?

Here is a little about this man you may or may not know.

- He prays for wisdom each morning for how to best do his job and handle the challenges that come his way.

- He prays for each coach by name and prays God will help him best serve them.

- He prays for his struggling players by name, and genuinely cares for each situation and also keeps each private. He calls players into his office to check on each and do what he can to help.

- When he recruits players in their homes he often does the dishes for the family, takes out the trash, and clears the table. When the staff ran satelite camps last summer, he was seen pushing trash cans off the field.

- He remembers each recruit and player by name, including their family members.

- He lives in a small condo with his wife and has an extremely humble lifestyle.

- He comes into work extra early and leaves extra late, combing through details in an effort to learn more and improve.

- He is always looking for ways to improve and learn more, often singling out experts and bringing them in.

- He makes the tough choices to fire his close friends if he feels it is best for the team.

- He has no ego and takes advice from others willingly.

- He is recruiting the best class Nebraska has had since Bill Callahan came off of his Super Bowl appearance with the Oakland Raiders and was a hit with recruits.

- In 2015 he rallied a divided team with animosity and lack of buy in to beat the #5 team in the country and to go into defeat a good UCLA team. This year he took a team with a drop off in talent from prior year, and a huge lack of upper classmen at key positions to 9-3. They exceeded expectations in many ways at several positions and in areas where they failed, he made needed staff changes and is targeting necessary players to fill the gap for 2017.

- Since he began with NU, he has taken steps to upgrade recruiting and coaching at the WR, DB, DL, LB, and QB positions. Cav has done a great job building from the bottom up with the OL and the hires of John Parella & Donte Williams seem to be good moves for the school.

this is definitely in doubt

Maybe I missed the answer in this discussion as to who 'girlknows' knows all of this 'insider' information. To listen to his daily prayers in such detail, you must live with and also work with him quite closely. ?

I am not able to listen to a majority of Mike's public statements, press cons, etc. but does he bring up the content of his prayers all the time? I just have not heard him involving his religion and practices thereof in his coaching approach? If he is so religious. he ought to be in contact with Ron Brown.