Coach Mike Riley

Constantly referencing how good of a guy Riley is seems reminiscent of Tebow. Every pundit always had to say "He's a heckuva guy" before they go in on how terrible of a QB he was.

I'm not one way or another yet about Riley. My biggest hope is that he shores up the recruiting to consistent top 15 classes. If he doesn't do that and continues with 9-4 or 10-3 seasons then he can beat feet just like Frank, Bill and Bo.

I don't think anybody has seriously argued that he's not an awesome person. He was brought in to win a big ten title, and I don't really see us being any closer to that goal than before he was hired. I'm not saying fire him, he deserves a few more years, but time will tell the quality of the hire. I'm fairly happy with how he's handled his staff, but we'll see how this recruiting cycle closes because he's going to need some of these big names to get through that 2018 schedule successfully imho. Let's be real though, we just went 9-3 again and got blown out twice in conference play, let's not act like we've had this drastic improvement. Hopefully getting more of "his" guys in the program helps the psyche and performance of this team, we shall see.

giphy.gif

You guys are right but I didn't expect that in year 2. Did you?

I did not, but I'm not sure it's a good thing that everybody's bar was so low that another 9-3 season is exceeding expectations.

Who has said that?

Based on the reality of the situation I think he met, but didn't exceed expectations this year. If we have the exact same season next year, then I think we may be in 9 win Bo purgatory again.

Somehow I felt a heck of alot better about 9-3 this year than I did any of the more recent 9-3 years. Truth be known, I felt better about the season last year than most of the 9-3 years that are always brought up.

Here is a little about this man you may or may not know.

- He prays for wisdom each morning for how to best do his job and handle the challenges that come his way.

- He prays for each coach by name and prays God will help him best serve them.

- He prays for his struggling players by name, and genuinely cares for each situation and also keeps each private. He calls players into his office to check on each and do what he can to help.

- When he recruits players in their homes he often does the dishes for the family, takes out the trash, and clears the table. When the staff ran satelite camps last summer, he was seen pushing trash cans off the field.

- He remembers each recruit and player by name, including their family members.

- He lives in a small condo with his wife and has an extremely humble lifestyle.

- He comes into work extra early and leaves extra late, combing through details in an effort to learn more and improve.

- He is always looking for ways to improve and learn more, often singling out experts and bringing them in.

- He makes the tough choices to fire his close friends if he feels it is best for the team.

- He has no ego and takes advice from others willingly.

- He is recruiting the best class Nebraska has had since Bill Callahan came off of his Super Bowl appearance with the Oakland Raiders and was a hit with recruits.

- In 2015 he rallied a divided team with animosity and lack of buy in to beat the #5 team in the country and to go into defeat a good UCLA team. This year he took a team with a drop off in talent from prior year, and a huge lack of upper classmen at key positions to 9-3. They exceeded expectations in many ways at several positions and in areas where they failed, he made needed staff changes and is targeting necessary players to fill the gap for 2017.

- Since he began with NU, he has taken steps to upgrade recruiting and coaching at the WR, DB, DL, LB, and QB positions. Cav has done a great job building from the bottom up with the OL and the hires of John Parella & Donte Williams seem to be good moves for the school.

Is he at all inclined to adopt and older gentleman and his wife?

Constantly referencing how good of a guy Riley is seems reminiscent of Tebow. Every pundit always had to say "He's a heckuva guy" before they go in on how terrible of a QB he was.

I'm not one way or another yet about Riley. My biggest hope is that he shores up the recruiting to consistent top 15 classes. If he doesn't do that and continues with 9-4 or 10-3 seasons then he can beat feet just like Frank, Bill and Bo.

My son had an assistant coach on his baseball team last year, and he didn't know a thing about baseball. The head coach figured this out pretty quick, but he wouldn't "fire" him because "he was a nice guy". Every time someone brought up the assistant coach to the head coach, the head coach's response was "Well, Rob is such a nice guy...."

Your referring to the pro Tim Tebow correct? I would give my left nut for a QB that completed 67 percent of his passes with a 6/1 touchdown to interception ratio in college. Maybe both nuts if he could run for 6-800 yards a season also. Lol

All jokes aside Eichorst went out and got opposite of Pelini went it comes to sideline etiquette and dealing with the media. It's great HCMR is a "good guy" but frankly I don't care. Away from the media and off the TV screen Pelini was a good guy also. 4 maybe 5 years....that's what I give HCMR. Like i said things seems to be trending up with this year. I love the direction recruiting is going and we did meet expectations with the W/L ratio.

I don't think anybody has seriously argued that he's not an awesome person. He was brought in to win a big ten title, and I don't really see us being any closer to that goal than before he was hired. I'm not saying fire him, he deserves a few more years, but time will tell the quality of the hire. I'm fairly happy with how he's handled his staff, but we'll see how this recruiting cycle closes because he's going to need some of these big names to get through that 2018 schedule successfully imho. Let's be real though, we just went 9-3 again and got blown out twice in conference play, let's not act like we've had this drastic improvement. Hopefully getting more of "his" guys in the program helps the psyche and performance of this team, we shall see.

I actually think we are closer. Is he going to win one? I have no idea. Like you, I am willing to give him a few more years.

However, the program as a whole is on better ground as a foundation than when he showed up. If he were fired today, it would be much easier for the next staff to come in and be successful because of the mentality and foundation he has instilled into the program.

Quite frankly, much like political discussions it's all about what you WANT TO believe regardless if there is any truth to it.

Yeah, little league baseball is serious stuff man. Screw that guy volunteering his time to help the kids. Also, you can't really "fire" a volunteer.

Yes. you can. Ive had to do it. I have had to ask a guy to step away from coaching kids. You can do it for a number of reasons. Ours was that his bevavior was ridiculous at times,. But you can also do it if theyre teaching the kids wrong stuff. In the case of little league baseball, if the guy dont know baseball and is hampering the kids success and develpment becuase of false teaching, there's nothing wrong with asking the guy to step aside. "he such a nice guy" is the pu&&y way of life we live in. "dude. This is tough cuz youre a nice guy, but you dont know sh#t about baseball, and the kids arent learning the correct things. So in the interest of the kids, I'm gonna have to ask you to step aside a bit.". It's not that big of deal. Ive done it.

Let's be real here people. Mike Riley has demonstrated he knows a great deal about football through each of his press conferences. He does a very good job of summarizing the game just ended and what went well and what didn't. His diagnosis of the various aspects of the game and both teams' successful and not so successful schemes and performances. This strongly suggests to me that Riley qualifies as a very good football coach who understands the game and sees the 'big picture' and can break it down and describe it to the arm chair guys and gals in the media so they should understand too. Riley doesn't simply get up in front of the reporters and cameras and offer the 'we just didn't execute' excuse. That one got old fast. It seems to me that Riley explains in more detail, without embarrassing individual players that failed to do their part, repeatedly. While this may be true, the reaction by many would be to call that scapegoating. He does not do that, atleast I have not observed it.

The issue then is determining if Riley is capable of 'fixing' the problems his team has so the team gets better and does less of the wrong things and more of the right ones thereby helping them to play better and perhaps, if capable, winning games thereafter. Of course it is essential that Riley have enough skills and abilities amongst the players on his team to put a winning team on the field against the opponents they must play on their schedule. This is where 'talent' comes in. I think he knows what he needs to win against any opponent. I think he knows whether or not he has what he needs. I think he knows where to find what he needs. I think he is trying to recruit and develop what he needs. I don't know if he will be successful in recruiting what he needs because the resistance and difficulty of getting the requisite players to come to Nebraska as opposed to accepting the offers of well established, very attractive programs elsewhere is substantial. Can it be done? Yes, but it is VERY VERY difficult and not many coaches can do it. Washing the family dishes after an in home visit might be a nice touch in the right household. Praying for devine intervention might be helpful but only God will make that judgement. My experience with seeking God's help is that God is pretty busy with much more important things. Just my experience.

Your referring to the pro Tim Tebow correct? I would give my left nut for a QB that completed 67 percent of his passes with a 6/1 touchdown to interception ratio in college. Maybe both nuts if he could run for 6-800 yards a season also. Lol

All jokes aside Eichorst went out and got opposite of Pelini went it comes to sideline etiquette and dealing with the media. It's great HCMR is a "good guy" but frankly I don't care. Away from the media and off the TV screen Pelini was a good guy also. 4 maybe 5 years....that's what I give HCMR. Like i said things seems to be trending up with this year. I love the direction recruiting is going and we did meet expectations with the W/L ratio.

You would castrate yourself to have Tebow as a Quarterback?