The Games that matter....

dvdcrr

Every game you lose is the game that matters.

Yep. If we would have beat Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa, but then dropped two to Northwestern/Illinois, those games would have mattered as we still would have likely lost the west. Would we be happy? Nah.

It is true that no power 5 program has ever fired a coach with that good of a record over 7 years. But it is also true that out of every P5 coach in the history of college football to have that good of a record, only three of them didn't win a conference championship in that timeframe (and none of those three ever did).

Solich won the Big 12 in 1999

I'm talking about Pelini.

First of all I don't think Riley's job rides on 2018 depending on how recruiting is going. If we are recruiting significantly better than in the past, he will have some leeway to let a few more of those classes come through. I think 2020 would be more likely for a make or break year for Riley unless there is some sort of implosion

First of all I don't think Riley's job rides on 2018 depending on how recruiting is going. If we are recruiting significantly better than in the past, he will have some leeway to let a few more of those classes come through. I think 2020 would be more likely for a make or break year for Riley unless there is some sort of implosion

True, but I do think 2017 is still a fairly important year for him. Many of the guys starting or seeing significant playing time next year will have been with Riley for a time greater to or equal than their time with Pelini, or they'll be Riley's recruits.

True, but I do think 2017 is still a fairly important year for him. Many of the guys starting or seeing significant playing time next year will have been with Riley for a time greater to or equal than their time with Pelini, or they'll be Riley's recruits.

Oh I agree 2017 and 2018 will be big years for Riley. Personally I like our chances next year and beyond just due to developing line talent once these guys are upperclassmen that line should be solid. 2017 will be super important going forward for recruiting and direction of the program no doubt and we may look back and say it was a turning point in the program either way. If it's good Riley may be on past 2020. If it's bad I think that may be his last year if he makes it that far

Oh I agree 2017 and 2018 will be big years for Riley. Personally I like our chances next year and beyond just due to developing line talent once these guys are upperclassmen that line should be solid. 2017 will be super important going forward for recruiting and direction of the program no doubt and we may look back and say it was a turning point in the program either way. If it's good Riley may be on past 2020. If it's bad I think that may be his last year if he makes it that far

what makes you think there is significant developing going on?

• Fire 1

Steve P. fired Solich saying that he wouldnt let the program go to mediocrity, and we werent winning the games that mattered. (K State) Then SE fired Bo Pelini saying: "We weren't good enough in the games that mattered" And that was after a victory over Iowa.

Now when I look at this year there were three games that mattered. We lost all three.

In two years only the MSU game stands out.

Now I aint no genius. Hard to believe, I know.

But bear with me.

If you are going to be firing guys for not winnin the right games, at some point dont you need to hire folks who can win those games?

Otherwise don't you look like a fool or hypocrite, standing by your man who has no proof of being better than the one you fired?

( Notice I didnt even mention throat slasher, not worth it.)

Solich was 58-19 including a visit to the NC game.

Pelini was 67-27. No power 5 program had ever fired a coach with that good of a record over 7 years.

No wonder coaching prospects think Nebraska is crazy.

Are you kidding me? Auburn fired a coach a year (maybe two) after he'd won a national championship.

LSU fired Les Miles after a slow start this season.

Florida fired Will Muschamp mid season (although my recollect could be hazy here).

Point is, college football athletic directors make decisions to pull the plug all the time, some firings have more merit than others. But to think Nebraska is alone is crazy.

And face reality: Bo Pelini, despite his .700 or so overall record, NEEDED TO BE FIRED. HIs antics were a complete embarrassment.

Given the poor roster management Pelini had, his unwillingness to sell Nebraska to elite recruits, and his constant hiring of inexperienced coordinators, was completely unacceptable.

• Fire 1

what makes you think there isn't?

• Fire 2

A ray of sunshine as always Marko Polo

what makes you think there isn't?

That's his only contribution to Huskerboard. He just asks people over and over if they actually think/believe the things they post. Anyone talking optimistically is stupid.

Not all heroes wear capes...

thanks for the replies. In this world, there are leaders, followers and laggers. The leaders are the ones who immediately accept changes. Laggers dont accept change very well. However our laggers serve a very important role for they are the last ones to abandon previously successful benchmarks. Laggers do not let you digress. All of us are in one boat or another.