3-4 Defense - Time to Get Serious

ScottyIce

I think Stolt would be a great 3-4 DE, but it takes a stud NG in the middle to make it work, and I'm not sure we've got one on the roster yet, nor do I think we've got enough effective pass rushers at the OLB position.

I would actually prefer using a 3-2-6 in situational pass-rush downs. Slide Domann and Reed up into an OLB position to blitz with Newby and Roberts playing MLB. That would give flexibility in the pass game as well; allowing the two S/OLB hybrids to drop into coverage as well.

I really like 3-5-3

Not many gap 8's played in college and for good reason due to lack of a pass coverage. However I'm the kind of guy that likes to play around with personnel and try new things.

Teach found some stuff on the 3-5-3 and implemented it on his football team at the end of the season. From the stuff he showed me, it looks really cool and probably works great at the high school level. It creates a lot of confusion for the offense.

Great in HS! If it's run correctly. Pretty versatile in my opinion.

The 3-5-3 works great in HS. We ran it where I used to coach before I got out of teaching. It is a very attacking style of a defense that is designed to create confusion in the backfield and get a lot of TOF. It will also give up 2-3 big plays a game. It was very simple and is a great defense to use if you don't have a lot of big linemen.

I really like 3-5-3

Not many gap 8's played in college and for good reason due to lack of a pass coverage. However I'm the kind of guy that likes to play around with personnel and try new things.

Teach found some stuff on the 3-5-3 and implemented it on his football team at the end of the season. From the stuff he showed me, it looks really cool and probably works great at the high school level. It creates a lot of confusion for the offense.

Great in HS! If it's run correctly. Pretty versatile in my opinion.

The 3-5-3 works great in HS. We ran it where I used to coach before I got out of teaching. It is a very attacking style of a defense that is designed to create confusion in the backfield and get a lot of TOF. It will also give up 2-3 big plays a game. It was very simple and is a great defense to use if you don't have a lot of big linemen.

I played against only one 3-5-3 team in HS and I wasn't a fan. Kids are all over the place and can be a little confusing but they lose their assignments very easily. We had more talent, but beat them by 40+ Anytime you only have 3 DBs you leave a lot of big plays open if the offense can get into the 2nd level. That being said I also didn't understand the D since most Midwest HS teams rarely are great at airng it out.

If I remember correctly, Banker and/or Riley is on record as saying the 3-4 is exactly what they'd like to run in the future.

I'm pretty sure you do not remember correctly.

Riley said it in an interview. At the 12 minute mark

https://soundcloud.com/kxtg-the-bald-faced-truth/bft-interview-mike-riley-1

Eh, I'll give credit for bringing that up as I was not aware of that. But "hope to maybe get back to" something he's never really done doesn't exactly sound like a goal to me.