John Cook: Football Coach?

Mavric

Nearly 40 years ago, as Cook was starting his career, he was an assistant football coach at Coronado High School in San Diego.

The whole volleyball thing — he's led Nebraska to three national championship and seven NCAA Final Four appearances — actually occurred "totally by chance," he said.

He set out in life to be a teacher and coach, but not a volleyball coach.

Francis Parker, a private school, offered him an apartment. It was a decent deal. But there was a catch: He would have to coach three girls sports — basketball, softball and volleyball.

"In volleyball, we did really well my first year — went to the state championship," he said.

Ah, yes, of course they did. He was a natural for the sport.

OK, maybe not.

"I had no idea what I was doing," Cook said. "I coached them like football. I didn't even know how to rotate. I had to get a book and go to some clinics."

In 1986, Cook led Francis Parker High to a state championship.

LJS

• Fire 4

However, Cook did play basketball at Linfield College in Oregon — yes, the same place where Mike Riley once coached and Danny Langsdorf once played.

Heh, small world. :lol:

I used to play pick-up b-ball at the Rec with Cook all the time back around 99-00. He was a pretty good player for an "old man". Didn't know he played in college. I always thought he was good because we mostly played on the Coliseum court and he had home court advantage.

• Fire 1