Gophers players boycott football; bowl game participation in jeopardy

Frostberg

Of course our best win of the season will not even play in a bowl game. All sarcasm aside, I am proud those players stood up for their teammates, but it may look bad on Minny if they allow them to play in the game. That is if the players are found guilty.

Why would you be proud they stood up for them if it's for a terrible reason?

As a wizard once said in a cheesy scene of a Harry Potter movie:

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends."

Sticking up for teammates/friends blindly isn't something to applaud.

I wouldn't want my teammates telling me how terrible I am for one mistake. I support the players supporting each other not the actions committed by them just in case there was some confusion on that. Those players deserve to be suspended for the game, and they handled it well by ending the boycott. They were fighting for their teammates for 36 hours straight with no sleep, that shows some togetherness that is rare. Again, the actions of those players were bad, and we all make mistakes, but no way should they be allowed to play in the bowl game. I hope all are given their due justice in this terrible incident. I wonder if we will take Hafiz if he is found guilty in this?

They can support them privately. Not by their stupid boycott threat.

He might not be worth the risk now.

The accuser might be facing legal ramifications over her having sex with Hafiz. His age was under the legal limit in the state of Minnesota and when she was questioned by police department after the video surfaced, hef lawyer told her not to say a word. She went in front of a judge and pled the fifth on the incident.

The accuser might be facing legal ramifications over her having sex with Hafiz. His age was under the legal limit in the state of Minnesota and when she was questioned by police department after the video surfaced, hef lawyer told her not to say a word. She went in front of a judge and pled the fifth on the incident.

That thought occured to me too. I was wondering if he was 17 at the time.

Of course our best win of the season will not even play in a bowl game. All sarcasm aside, I am proud those players stood up for their teammates, but it may look bad on Minny if they allow them to play in the game. That is if the players are found guilty.

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends."

I wouldn't want my teammates telling me how terrible I am for one mistake. I support the players supporting each other not the actions committed by them just in case there was some confusion on that. Those players deserve to be suspended for the game, and they handled it well by ending the boycott. They were fighting for their teammates for 36 hours straight with no sleep, that shows some togetherness that is rare. Again, the actions of those players were bad, and we all make mistakes, but no way should they be allowed to play in the bowl game. I hope all are given their due justice in this terrible incident. I wonder if we will take Hafiz if he is found guilty in this?

Sometimes teammates need to tell you things you don't want to hear.

• Fire 1

This interview on rape culture really resonated with me, the following passage in particular:

In this case, right now I would say that the coaching staff should be getting many more questions asked of them. The players have to answer for this moment, for making a big public spectacle of trying to uphold the status quo of race[sic] culture. But who taught them what due process is but didn’t teach them what consent is?

There was a line in the team’s statement about the university president having breached judiciary duty. Who taught them that phrase but didn’t tell them a single thing about [what could have prevented what is alleged to have happened] that night?

Read the report and see the actions you are so proud of. http://kstp.com/kstpImages/repository/cs/files/U%20of%20M%20EOAA%20redacted5.pdf

• Fire 2

Well, I read something wrong here but basically this is how I understood the situation(IN my head not what actually happened). Must have misread something or I just never understood it completely so I jumped the gun on posting.(Again how I interpreted it not what happened-reason why I supported)

14 players went to a party, 4 of them did some bad stuff with a recruit.(Hafiz) I thought the players were standing up for these 10 guys that did nothing wrong. I thought that is what the players were doing too. So I was thinking the U made a mistake suspending 10 players that did nothing wrong and I was like they should not be suspended. These players went to a party had a good time and did nothing wrong. That is why they were protesting to stand up for there teammates. Obviously I made a mistake by misreading the info and probably should have read slower cause I was a skimming stuff and got confused and when the coach threw out his support I figured they were innocent.

What actually happened:

Only 10 players got suspended but they all did something bad and terrible, didn't know all of them were involved. Admin ignored Tracy Clays and suspended the players without telling him, which is why he threw his support out for the players. Basically, to show admin you gotta go through me before suspending my guys. Police let these guys go apparently, but when Minn. U did the investigation, they found these 10 players guilty.

I made a mistake by quickly showing support for kids and I totally misunderstood the situation. I do not want to be viewed as allowing any abuse or harassment on anyone as that is totally wrong. I knew they should have been suspended and it was a mistake to post on a topic I barely knew-lesson learned. Ignore my previous posts as they were stated when I had little knowledge on the situation- because I thought they stood up for their innocent players but they obviously were not innocent.

I wish all a happy Christmas!

• Fire 2

Mike - no one thinks you're condoning abuse.

The problem is... you did the same thing the Minnesota players not involved did.

I got some grief for it last year but when Tommy Armstrong was interviewed the day after about the sexual assault accusation at his house, he replied "from what I heard everything was consentual."

Someone was accused of rape and he automatically took the accused's side. His statement is another way of saying the accuser is lying. It doesn't matter if it was his friend or teammate unless he was right there to witness it. He should have stayed out of it, said "no comment" and let the justice system deal with it.

With the Minnesota thing - it's not worth defending those guys over a suspension from a football game especially if you didn't witness what happened. It's quite possible a rape really did occur. Rapists don't walk around holding signs that say they're a rapist. Many rapists probably seem like normal, good people to their friends.

At the very least all of the players did something very disgusting that's not worth defending. At worst they did something they should be locked up for a long, long time for.

Mike - no one thinks you're condoning abuse.

The problem is... you did the same thing the Minnesota players not involved did.

I got some grief for it last year but when Tommy Armstrong was interviewed the day after about the sexual assault accusation at his house, he replied "from what I heard everything was consentual."

Someone was accused of rape and he automatically took the accused's side. His statement is another way of saying the accuser is lying. It doesn't matter if it was his friend or teammate unless he was right there to witness it. He should have stayed out of it, said "no comment" and let the justice system deal with it.

With the Minnesota thing - it's not worth defending those guys over a suspension from a football game especially if you didn't witness what happened. It's quite possible a rape really did occur. Rapists don't walk around holding signs that say they're a rapist. Many rapists probably seem like normal, good people to their friends.

At the very least all of the players did something very disgusting that's not worth defending. At worst they did something they should be locked up for a long, long time for.

Agreed:

But a better answer for Tommy than "No comment" would be, paraphrasing what you said in the same paragraph "I don't know what happened. I was in a different part of the house." No comment sounds like he knows something but doesn't want to get into trouble.

And while rapists don't hold signs saying they are rapists, the really stupid ones record the attack.

• Fire 1