***SPOILERS*** Rogue One Plot Discussion ***SPOILERS***

I just saw Rogue One, and it is amazing. It's not as dark a film as anticipated, but it's not light either.

This film actually put the War in Star Wars.

The original version was actually rejected by Disney for being too dark so this was actually a toned down version after Disney ordered another round of shooting/filming. I would love to see that version actually. By Star Wars standards this was still dark however. I enjoyed all of the characters also. No Jar Jar's or overplayed characters like the Ewoks in this one.

I want to talk about this movie so badly...lol. But I won't because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who is going to see it within the next couple of days.

I knew about the reshoots, although I wasn't sure the exact reason why. And if this movie was reshot to "tone it done" then yes, I too would love to see the original cut of the film.

I really enjoyed the reprogrammed imperial droid. Was like a smart a** version of C3PO.

MOD EDIT: THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!

Edited by Mavric
Split out of the original Rogue One thread
  • Fire 1

Question for anyone who's seen it:

Was there any discontinuity between the end of Rogue One and the beginning of A New Hope? I mean, Leia kept telling Vader/Tarkin/the Empire she had no idea what they were talking about and she was on a peaceful diplomatic mission. Why would she even pretend that's the story when Vader was literally right there as the plans were handed over?

Now that I'm done being a nerd... loved seeing Vader being a bad ass.

Since we had a spoilers thread for TFA, not sure why we can't have one here.

@Moiraine - Yeah, pretty much a hole in the plot. At first I was going to say that Vader knew Leia was lying so it really didn't matter what the situation was but since the ship was apparently right there for the entire battle, it doesn't really fit. Although it appears the blockade runner got away for the time being and Vader wouldn't *HAVE* to have known Leia was on board so they could have caught the ship some days/months later and then it would fit.

Since we had a spoilers thread for TFA, not sure why we can't have one here.

@Moiraine - Yeah, pretty much a hole in the plot. At first I was going to say that Vader knew Leia was lying so it really didn't matter what the situation was but since the ship was apparently right there for the entire battle, it doesn't really fit. Although it appears the blockade runner got away for the time being and Vader wouldn't *HAVE* to have known Leia was on board so they could have caught the ship some days/months later and then it would fit.

Think it was more Leia and the ship captain attempting a refuge in audacity in stating that their ship was on a diplomatic mission and Vader calling her out on that BS. So no not a plot hole.

• Fire 2

Was there any discontinuity between the end of Rogue One and the beginning of A New Hope? I mean, Leia kept telling Vader/Tarkin/the Empire she had no idea what they were talking about and she was on a peaceful diplomatic mission. Why would she even pretend that's the story when Vader was literally right there as the plans were handed over?

I think that since Leia wasn't there, she didn't know that Vader knew, and so she thought a lie and denial would be sufficient.

Plus, she probably thought her standing in the Senate would provide her some "immunity," Not sure if that's the right word or not.

And on a personal note, while I enjoyed the scenes with Darth Vader, I was a little disappointed at how little screen time he actually had.

So I think, and just opinion here, that there wasn't any discontinuity.

I think that since Leia wasn't there, she didn't know that Vader knew, and so she thought a lie and denial would be sufficient.

Plus, she probably thought her standing in the Senate would provide her some "immunity," Not sure if that's the right word or not.

And on a personal note, while I enjoyed the scenes with Darth Vader, I was a little disappointed at how little screen time he actually had.

That works I suppose. Although I doubt the crew didn't tell her.

Regardless it was a really good Vader scene. With his first scene I could only think of Anakin. It felt like a teenager having a (very dangerous) tantrum. With the 2nd scene he was just scary (in a good way).

One part of Rogue One that had me going, "Say what???" Was when the Death Star's firing opening (LOL I don't know what else to call it) , was south of the equator.

Every time we've seen the Death Star, the firing opening was north of its equator.

I was thinking, how did it get down there? Then they showed the Death Star rotating. Then I thought, that doesn't make sense either because if it needs to rotate then everything will be upside down. I mean, am I missing something here?

It would have made so much more sense to have the Death Star's laser be on a track where it could rotate 180 degrees and be able to fire from any angle. But, this is what you get when you make a prequel to a movie nearly 40 years afterward. Because clearly the makers of this film had to stick with canon, which meant the original Lucas design of the Death Star from the original film.

I didn't notice that at all. Ya... having the whole death star rotate instead of the weapon seems ridiculous.

I guess now we have to think about weird gravity stuff inside. Could it be big enough to have its own gravitational pull at the center? And then it wouldn't matter if they rotate it?

(I think that's how the station in Ender's game worked. There was a path that went the entire way around the station and no matter where you were on it your feet stayed "down" on the floor.

I didn't notice that at all. Ya... having the whole death star rotate instead of the weapon seems ridiculous.

I guess now we have to think about weird gravity stuff inside. Could it be big enough to have its own gravitational pull at the center? And then it wouldn't matter if they rotate it?

(I think that's how the station in Ender's game worked. There was a path that went the entire way around the station and no matter where you were on it your feet stayed "down" on the floor.

Possibly. But then, if it has its own gravitational pull, and it is strong enough to keep things in place when it rotates, then...

Wouldn't it be pretty much impossible to walk around because the gravity would be so high? Also, wouldn't everyone be upside down and "standing on the "ceiling" when it rotated?

You know what, I'm going to stop thinking about this, just suspend my disbelief, and enjoy the film. :lol:

PS I am going to see it again today.

Possibly. But then, if it has its own gravitational pull, and it is strong enough to keep things in place when it rotates, then...

Wouldn't it be pretty much impossible to walk around because the gravity would be so high? Also, wouldn't everyone be upside down and "standing on the "ceiling" when it rotated?

You know what, I'm going to stop thinking about this, just suspend my disbelief, and enjoy the film. :lol:

PS I am going to see it again today.

I suppose nobody could be near the center of the Death Stare. Or they'd have to make the pull kind of weak. I agree on not talking about it anymore.

Might be too early since the new movie hasn't sunk in but rate the movies.

Here's mine:

1) Return of the Jedi

2) Empire Strikes Back

3) Force Awakens/New Hope

5) Rogue One/Revenge of the Sith

7) Attack of the Clones

8) Phantom Menace

I know I'm in the minority by not having Empire as my fav but I was young when I first watched the trilogy and I LOVED the Ewoks. I also had a huge crush on Luke in the skin tight black outfit and I loved the speeder bikes. The Jabba the Hut stuff was awesome. Ok I need to rewatch it again.

The Rogue One squad accomplished their mission. Then, there's that awful moment, when you realize the entire Rogue One team died.

I was thinking that when they showed up at the planet with the shield all the way around. They can get it but how will they get out? I thought at least the two would surely find some way out. But I guess having everyone die would be an explanation for why none of them were in Episodes 4, 5 or 6.

What do you mean Leia wasn't there? She was on the blockade runner that just got away from the ship Vader boarded.