Christian McCaffrey, Others Skipping Bowl Games

BigRedBuster

I don't blame him although I also don't blame the fans or anybody for being pissed - they have a right to be pissed just as much Christian has a right to do what's best for him.

Given his playing style and the likely eventual positions he'd play in the league, he should make the most of his opportunities now.

Wonder what the economic fallout would be for something like this. Are people less likely to travel to a bowl game because marquee players aren't playing?

Was wondering that as well.

Also, will that start to impact bowl selections going forward. If the marquee QB isn't going to play, do they select someone else?

Wonder what the economic fallout would be for something like this. Are people less likely to travel to a bowl game because marquee players aren't playing?

I would say that's incredibly possible. Unfortunately, most Stanford fans planning to attend the bowl game have probably already scheduled flights, booked hotels, etc. You also have to imagine the TV ratings will be worse now that one of the only players most of the country can name from Stanford's roster won't be playing.

McCaffrey cares more about his professional career than having a good time playing amateur college ball for innocent love of game, and all that.

The "problem", as it were, is that these two have been placed in conflict, and not by him.

I've been on another side of this debate in the past and it's been interesting, over the years, seeing the extent to which we as a whole demand these people to treat the college game as a profession, while equally demanding their status to be confined as purely amateur.

If the latter holds, we should be enormously happy and well-wishing for *any* player who decides to focus on their post-college career. Whether that means walking away and focusing on their biology research or walking away and focusing on their NFL training.

If the latter holds, we should be enormously happy and well-wishing for *any* player who decides to focus on their post-college career. Whether that means walking away and focusing on their biology research or walking away and focusing on their NFL training.

The difference being there aren't usually 100+ other people on your team depending on how you do your biology research.

No, there's no difference. There are 100+ people on your team who are affected if you decide to quit and do biology research, or focus on your accounting degree, or anything other than be a part of your college ball team.

McCaffrey happens to have his eyes set on the NFL. A college junior (or senior) might just as well say it's been fun, but I want to get a PhD and need to go prepare for that now.

Yeah, that's not the case. You're straining the definition of "team" to suit your argument. If you have some sort of group project then it would be somewhat applicable. But even then if you quit doing your part of the project you're going to get a failing grade which hurts you. This doesn't hurt the players passing on the bowl game, it helps them.

No, there's no difference. There are 100+ people on your team who are affected if you decide to quit and do biology research, or focus on your accounting degree, or anything other than be a part of your college ball team.

McCaffrey happens to have his eyes set on the NFL. A college junior (or senior) might just as well say it's been fun, but I want to get a PhD and need to go prepare for that now.

I would have the same opinion if I were a teammate of a major contributor wanting to quit and concentrate on their PhD instead of finishing what everyone started.

Everyone had an issue when Crouch won the Heisman and didn't thank his teammates. I see this as no different. McCaffery wouldn't be in the position he is in to go on to NFL glory if it weren't for his teammates around him. He has had the glory and the spot light while on that team in large part due to what THEY have been doing around him that allows him to excel. Now, when they want to finish their year strong, he says..."thanks but, no thanks".

That wouldn't cut it with me.

Yeah, that's not the case. You're straining the definition of "team" to suit your argument. If you have some sort of group project then it would be somewhat applicable. But even then if you quit doing your part of the project you're going to get a failing grade which hurts you. This doesn't hurt the players passing on the bowl game, it helps them.

I think I'm being completely consistent. You are the one making an analogy from football teams to other kinds of teams.

You're arguing that quitting a football team hurts the team more than quitting something else (which doesn't have to be a team of any kind). I find this argument immaterial. I agree that Stanford probably will fare worse in the Sun Bowl without him.

Fundamentally the question is: are we happy for students to concentrate on their careers, or do we expect them to fulfill a duty to us as entertainment providers?

Actually, Mav, I'm not quite sure what we're arguing about anymore. If we agree that this helps the players passing on the bowl game, what's the issue? Good thing, right?

I would have the same opinion if I were a teammate of a major contributor wanting to quit and concentrate on their PhD instead of finishing what everyone started.

If you were my teammate in this circumstance, I would conclude (quite accurately, I think) that you don't at all care about me or my personal goals. Which is fine, but I'd expect the environment for the most part to be quite supportive.