Coach Callahan on the recruiting trail

Coach Callahan on the recruiting trail

Two weeks removed from the annual spring game, head coach Bill Callahan and his staff have turned their attention towards recruiting for the 2007 season. And while the team has secured just one verbal commitment to this point (6’2” 200 lb. WR Niles Paul from Omaha North), Coach Callahan is not at all concerned. In fact, this only serves as testament to what Nebraska is hoping to accomplish this time around. The team is trying to be more selective by design, not only targeting solid athletes, but also solid character. Callahan plans on spending the next several weeks on the road, and he also mentioned spending a significant amount of time in talent-rich Texas.

While the coaches are hitting the recruiting trail, the players will be busy hitting the books. Final exams will be held in the upcoming weeks, with the team then beginning their summer workout program on June 5th.

Other news and notes:

S Daniel Bullocks was the first Husker selected in the 2006 NFL Draft, going to the Detroit Lions with the 40th overall pick. The 6’1”, 210 lb. Bullocks finished his Nebraska career in 2005 with 226 career tackles and 8 career interceptions, while being selected to the All-Big 12 second team each of the last two seasons. Bullocks’ twin brother and fellow alum Josh is also in the NFL, where he was selected 40th overall in 2005 by the New Orleans Saints.

Bill Callahan News at RealFootball365.com

The fact that we only have one recruit so far and that we have missed on some of the in-state recruits has me worried. Most of the other Big 12 teams have at least three or four recruits. I fear that we have fallen behind in the recruiting race. I'd appreciate if any of you experts can alleviate my fears by telling me what recruits are close to verbalizing.

GBY...seems that a lot of you just don't worry. When I see schools in our division landing decent recruits, I get all edgy (must be my meds <_< ). And Texas, well... they pretty much have half of their recruiting class already. I would feel better if we land a solid quarterback prospect soon. Wouldn't mind seeing some DBs verbalizing, too. Otherwise, I will continue to worry throughout the entire recruiting season. The coaches, IMO, have done an excellent job in recruiting the last two seasons....so, I guess that I should chill, like the rest of you :) But, truth be told, I dread openning up threads posted by ETR because, lately, it seems that most of the posts are informing us that a prospect has verballed someplace OTHER than NU. All the other prospects seem to be given a 5% chance of verbalizing to NU. I'm not reading about many recruits that are HIGH on NU. Oh yeah, I don't want this thread to get into a in-state recruiting debate (Lord knows that we've already had our share of those), but I it does bother me that some of the in-state prospects have jumped ship - so to speak. I can't believe that I'm the ONLY fan that is worried about our recruiting so far this year. I'm just glad that Callahan and the other coaches are actively on the recruiting trail. Prospects seem to gel well with our coaching staff.

i'm not worried about it really either...this just means that more will be announced at the army game in january :D...seriously though some of these big name recruits cally and co. are going after almost seem like they enjoy the free publicity and will string out this process...Also schools in the ACC don't seem to start any kind of recruiting until november....I'm not worried...I would rather get a solid recruit the last week in january than a chodey little :box:box:box in june that backs out on you in december.

:moreinteresting

We are currently tied for 8th place in the Big 12 with ISU and OSU with one 2007 verbal commit. CU and Baylor are the only two Big 12 schools with zero 2007 commits at this point.

Too early to worry? If so, when do we start to worry?

2007 Big 12 Verbal Commitments

Texas - 19

KSU - 10

aTm - 6

OU - 3

Mizzou - 2

KU - 2

TTech - 2

Nebraska - 1

ISU - 1

OSU - 1

CU - 0